Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 08-24-2021, 07:34 PM   #361
Hide

Default Re: DreadStormers (OOC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
I thought we were going to delay that until we're ready to make our move (...)
Let me rephrase it, Pacifica already gave a list of subverted officers to a subverted officer. In other words, you suggested doing something we have already worked with.

I theorize it could be more profitable if you let one of the officers know about the prison break, instead of giving them a list; IMO it looks like someone fishing traitors.

On the other hand, the prison break is a chance to feign loyalties and work for the Dread-Stormer cause.
Old 08-24-2021, 09:48 PM   #362
TGLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
Let me rephrase it, Pacifica already gave a list of subverted officers to a subverted officer. In other words, you suggested doing something we have already worked with.

I theorize it could be more profitable if you let one of the officers know about the prison break, instead of giving them a list; IMO it looks like someone fishing traitors.

On the other hand, the prison break is a chance to feign loyalties and work for the Dread-Stormer cause.
I dunno. I think spreading the information around further and more directly could speed up their organizing. Maybe we could direct them to something obviously illicit to further prove that this is a legitimate memo.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 10:54 PM   #363
Hide

Quote:
(...) Maybe we could direct them to something obviously illicit to further prove that this is a legitimate memo.
Yes, I believe the prison break could the chance.
Old 08-25-2021, 09:08 AM   #364
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Without actually telling the officer that the subverted officers are subverted, only that they might be. From an OCC perspective, you challenged him to play a game of mafia where people actually die.

Dreadstormer training should cover that information.

Quote:

1) I really hope there's a forklift chase by the end of the game.
We'll see. Endgame is in your hands.

Quote:
2) Where did you come up with all these names
I picked sounds that are part of the Zorbani alphabet, decided their syllables only ever end in vowels, and make a random generator that builds names for me. Then I sort through the big list, choose the ones I want, and anglicize the spelling.

The vowels are:
i, Oe, o, u, U, Or, Ee

The consonants are:
B, J, K, Z, N, V, T, P, Th, Ch

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 10:56 AM   #365
Hide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
(...)you challenged him to play a game of mafia where people actually die.
Well, this is war; the challenge has been up since they sailed the ship, death is the helmsman.

From an IC perspective, all they have to do is go into the mouth of the wolf, to find shelter.

Quote:
(...) I picked sounds that are part of the Zorbani alphabet (...)
This is cool!
Old 08-25-2021, 11:31 AM   #366
TGLS

Quote:
Without actually telling the officer that the subverted officers are subverted, only that they might be. From an OCC perspective, you challenged him to play a game of mafia where people actually die.
Well, the way I see it, Vinobi thought he received a message from Zybo through a gofer, telling him "These people might be traitors". He could be thinking anything from: "They figured me out in some way, this is a test, better lay low" to "If I figure out whether these people are actually traitors, this could help".

On the other hand, the mysterious memo might be taken in a different way that makes them want to act on it more. Like with the Drive LT who almost immediately trashed the engines after receiving the memo (that reminds me, it might have been a better move to just make them all traitors and tell the drive chief to trash the engines. That would have kept five of them home free).

Quote:
Well, this is war; the challenge has been up since they sailed the ship, death is the helmsman.

From an IC perspective, all they have to do is go into the mouth of the wolf, to find shelter.
I dunno; they have Fanaticism not On the Edge. They may be willing to blow themselves up if it means the ship probably gets captured. They're probably not willing to risk blowing their cover if it means they identify one other traitor.

Of course, now I'm imagining this scenario being run triple blind for the PCs; I'm pretty sure I would have stabbed a colleague by now.

Quote:
Then I sort through the big list, choose the ones I want, and anglicize the spelling.

The vowels are:
i, Oe, o, u, U, Or, Ee

The consonants are:
B, J, K, Z, N, V, T, P, Th, Ch
I guess you didn't take Bozo the Engineer.

--

Just another semi-random question: is the brainwashing permanent or effectively permanent? Neither matters for the game, I'm just wondering whether everyone we brainwashed end up as guilt-ridden wrecks in a prison somewhere or quite pleased and resettled somewhere.
Old 08-25-2021, 02:42 PM   #367
GnomesofZurich

Quote:
Just another semi-random question: is the brainwashing permanent or effectively permanent? Neither matters for the game, I'm just wondering whether everyone we brainwashed end up as guilt-ridden wrecks in a prison somewhere or quite pleased and resettled somewhere.
The mental surgery Daymar does is permanent - it can be corrected by either therapy or more mental surgery, but without some kind of intervention it will never wear off.
Old 08-25-2021, 04:40 PM   #368
Hide

Quote:
(...) they have Fanaticism not On the Edge (...)
Yes, that's the thing. Since they are fanatics, per the disadvantage they require command to act. If they had on the edge, they would be doing crazy stuff right now.

So, if we give them the right information about a real event (going against the ship), they will have confirmation of La Quinta pulling the strings. And there could be other benefits: Two or three officers may find each other during the prison break, and notice they all received the same letter, that they are "a team".
Old 08-26-2021, 07:29 AM   #369
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Do we have a decision on exactly how Hua plans to poke the officers?

Quote:
I guess you didn't take Bozo the Engineer.
I generate a bunch at a time and look for interesting and unique ones. Two-syllable names are often rejected for various reasons, often because they sound like existing names or english words. I also tend to reject names like Pupu, which I just got in my last batch. Three and four syllable words tend to work out better.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
The mental surgery Daymar does is permanent - it can be corrected by either therapy or more mental surgery, but without some kind of intervention it will never wear off.

Pretty much. It can also change as people experience mid-life crises, or if the combination of traits is especially in conflict, or as part of natural living... but that's true of any trait, and it generally takes quite some time.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 07:39 AM   #370
TGLS

Quote:
Yes, that's the thing. Since they are fanatics, per the disadvantage they require command to act. If they had on the edge, they would be doing crazy stuff right now.
OK then, Hua would have spent the last 12 pages doing nothing and all the extreme fanatics Daymar created would have done about the same.

I think it's entirely reasonable to believe that they aren't waiting for an order, but are also concerned about getting caught. I think giving them a list of names, telling them to go organize, and giving them a way to contact us (preferably through dead drops) would be sufficient to get them moving in terms of activity.

Quote:
So, if we give them the right information about a real event (going against the ship), they will have confirmation of La Quinta pulling the strings. And there could be other benefits: Two or three officers may find each other during the prison break, and notice they all received the same letter, that they are "a team".
The problem I have with this idea is that I though we agreed that the prison break was going to happen later. Possibly much later. It's a waste to leave the subverted officers unutilized so long.