Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-21-2009, 08:52 AM   #1
nerdvana

Default NPC Stat Format Question

I am spinning this off the DF Town near Dungeon online resource thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper6 View Post
Here are your stats.

Tier 1: All the NPCs have 10s in most stats. They have have an 11 IQ, or DX...or 11 in ST & HT depending on their emphasis. All of them have Skill-12 in whatever central skills they would have. Skill-10 for a peripheral skill. If a Mage, Magery 1.

Tier 2: All the NPCs have 11s in most stats. They have have an 12 IQ, or DX...or 12 in ST & HT depending on their emphasis. All of them have Skill-14 in whatever central skills they would have. Skill-12 for a peripheral skill.. If a Mage, Magery 2.

Tier 3: Tier 2: All the NPCs have 12s in most stats. They have have an 13 IQ, or DX...or 13 in ST & HT depending on their emphasis. All of them have Skill-16 in whatever central skills they would have. Skill-14 for a peripheral skill. If a Mage, Magery 3.

There you go. Your entire town is now populated with any NPC you would need.

ETA: Lest you think I'm being flippant I'm not. This is how I deal with any NPC who isn't major and reoccurring.
For example, The PCs say, we go to a shop. I say, there is are smaller market stalls with sorts of limited selection, some regular shops with slightly better selection, and then rich shops in the better part of town.

If they go to a market stall:
Stallkeeper-- ST 10, DX 10, IQ 11, HT 10. Merchant-12.
If they ask him about Current Events...I think...yeah, this guy should know currents events as a central skill--12. If they attack him? Well...I think he'd have a knife skill...but peripheral not central--10.

I do that all the time. I find no need to stat out everybody, because most people can be developed on the fly. Then I take notes about what I determined for later.
Trooper6 (and everone else), I like this format... I am assuming this is how you handle generic NPCs and that you build others more like characters the more important or influential they are going to be to the game?
nerdvana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
npcs, q&a