Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 07-23-2013, 04:24 PM   #1
Duran

Default Question about "Clean Socks" different cases?

What will happen?

I draw Disaster! Global Worming

I have Arm-y Boots and Clean Socks

[Moderator Edit: Do not post images of copyrighted material]

Which cases are possible?

A) What will happen, when I pick Arm-y Boots for the effect of Disaster! Global Worming?

B) What will happen, when I pick Clean Socks for the effect of Disaster! Global Worming?

thanking you in anticipation

Last edited by MunchkinMan; 07-23-2013 at 08:40 PM.
Duran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:09 PM   #2
Clipper

Default Re: Question about "Clean Socks" edition: apokalypse

This seems pretty straight forward. Disaster! Global Worming makes you "Lose Your Footgear" which means you lose all your Footgear. The Clean Socks are protected by their power, so you only lose the Arm-y Boots and a level. If your extra hand from the Boots was in use, you would also need to turn a Handed Item sideways as you no longer have enough hands to use it.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:22 PM   #3
Duran

Hi thank you,

Where can I find the card textes of all named cards? I use the german version and maybe we have a translation fail.

Can you tell me where I can find the card texts?

In the german version for Disaster! Global Worming there stands I lose 1 footgear. Thats the reason I split them in different cases. Clean Socks are Footgear too... xD So what would happen when it would meant, I lose one footgear so I could choose one to remove?

Another point:
Arm-Y Boots tells me i get one extra hand on the bottom there stands
- 1 hand

it looks like i would lose 1 hand after I got one, cause of the -

Last edited by Duran; 07-23-2013 at 06:33 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:37 PM   #4
Clipper

The text isn't available anywhere except the cards themselves, but that does seem to be a translation error as the original version of the card is clear. If you want to use the German version of the card, and I assume the translation on the Clean Socks is the same as it is in English in this case, then you would probably be forced to lose the Arm-y Boots, as the Clean Socks protect themselves, whether you want them to or not.

The "-1 Hand" text is so you can add up the numbers to try to get to 2. Items that use a Hand are "1 Hand", so it makes sense for an extra Hand to be negative in this context. If you are using the Arm-y Boots, a 1-Handed and a 2-Handed Item, the sum total of Hands you are using is (-1) + (1) + (2) = 2, so your Hands are full.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:50 PM   #5
Duran

Thanks for your response :)

The German Text says Clean Socks [free tanslation]:

When you lose for any reason your footgear and you have another footgear, you can keep your socks.

Thats the reason I´m confused. I thought, if you are going to lose your Arm-Y Boots and you dont have any other footgear in your hand to play out, you will also lose the socks...

Do you know the real text of Clean Socks in English?
Old 07-23-2013, 08:53 PM   #6
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duran View Post
Thats the reason I´m confused. I thought, if you are going to lose your Arm-Y Boots and you dont have any other footgear in your hand to play out, you will also lose the socks...
You couldn't use Footgear from your hand since you wouldn't have that Footgear in play. Only Footgear in play would count for this curse and the special ability of Clean Socks.

Quote:
Do you know the real text of Clean Socks in English?
We do not allow quoting of the card text on the forum, and it's consider impolite to ask people to break the rules. Regardless, the English text that I'm looking at is very clear: If you are using an Item of Footgear along with the Clean Socks, you keep the Clean Socks if you're forced to lose your Footgear. So, in the example you gave, you must discard the Arm-y Boots, lose a Level, and if necessary, stop using an Item that uses 1 Hand.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:23 AM   #7
Duran

Well sorry, but I dont get it why it isnt allowed to quote the text, since we cant discuss if we dont know the subject. I played some card games and especially by card rules should we know the text.

But ok, its your forum.

Quote:
You couldn't use Footgear from your hand since you wouldn't have that Footgear in play. Only Footgear in play would count for this curse and the special ability of Clean Socks.
Clean Socks Ability calls for another footgear, so it could be in your backpack to fullfil the condition??? Otherwise I dont know what is meant with another footgear.

Normally the text should say, If you are going to lose your footgear, you keep your socks.But it calls for another footgear maybe in the backpack???

:(

Last edited by Duran; 07-24-2013 at 04:31 AM.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:53 AM   #8
MunchkinMan

SJG is fiercely protective of its copyrights, and they don't want card text lying about on these forums. You're right, it's the rules here, regardless of what other game companies may do, or may have done in the past, and we ask that you abide by it. It's easy enough to paraphrase card text in order to discuss it, and hundreds of people seem to get by on a daily basis under those rules.

I'm not sure what you mean by "backpack," since there is no such game term. Please describe what you mean using game terms only so that I can understand what you are asking.

Regardless, one of the two main points of Clean Socks is that the card says they can be worn with other Footgear. This means that you can have two Footgear in use if one of them is Clean Socks. Also according to Clean Socks (the second main point), if you are wearing them with other Footgear and you lose your Footgear to a Disaster, a Seal, a Monster's Bad Stuff, or some other reason beyond your control, then the other Footgear must go, but you get to keep Clean Socks. If you are only using Clean Socks, then Clean Socks have to go, and nothing you have in play or in your hand can go in their place.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:05 AM   #9
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Well sorry, but I dont get it why it isnt allowed to quote the text,
Because the card text is copyrighted and Steve doesn't want other people quoting it here.

That said, because I work for the company, I *can* quote it without violating copyright, and it seems pretty obvious that either the translation needs work or you aren't understanding the card fully, so here is the full English text of the card:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean Socks
When disaster strikes, few things are more valuable than clean socks.

May be worn with other Footgear. If something makes you Lose Your Footgear, and you have other Footgear, the socks remain!
Quote:
Clean Socks Ability calls for another footgear, so it could be in your backpack to fullfil the condition??? Otherwise I dont know what is meant with another footgear.
"Backpack" is not a term found anywhere in the Munchkin game rules. We ask that people stick to defined game terminology in this forum.

I believe the answer to your question is implicit in the phrase "May be worn with other Footgear." There's no need to specify that you can wear Clean Socks while simply carrying other Footgear -- that's in the game rules, after all -- so the only reason to include it is to allow you to wear two pieces of Footgear at once.

Global Worming, in English, says "Lose Your Footgear and a Level." I just checked the German version and it matches this. That means lose ALL your Footgear. However, if you are wearing Clean Socks (not just carrying them), AND you have other Footgear, you retain the Clean Socks and lose all the other Footgear.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:48 PM   #10
Duran

Thanks a lot, as I read the english version of the card, it makes sense. The german translation of this card is a fail and let a huge discuss open.

Thank you very much for posting the text.

Greeting
Duran :)

Last edited by Duran; 07-25-2013 at 01:01 AM.

Tags
clean socks