Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 11-20-2018, 08:27 PM   #1
afschell

Default Ready a Weapon

An engaged figure breaks their weapon. Can that figure, using option M, ready a new weapon in the "movement" phase (instead of moving) and then attack with that weapon in the same turn's "Action" phase?

Or must the figure ready a new weapon weapon (option M) on one turn (regardless of the amount moved) and attack on the next turn?

I know that page 105 states "GMs may let players attempt other things during movement, by penalizing them an appropriate number of hexes of movement - but a figure can never make an attack during movement. Attacks must always wait for the action phase of the turn."

And that page 107 of the rules states "In order to change weapons, a figure must choose an option which allows him to ready a new weapon. This will take up a turn; the new weapon will be ready at the beginning of the next turn. A shield, like a weapon, is "ready" or not ready ..."

But those portions of the rules were not found in time.

Last edited by afschell; 11-20-2018 at 08:59 PM.
afschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 08:43 PM   #2
larsdangly

Default Re: Ready a Weapon

Sorry, the answer is a clear 'no'. Readying a weapon is an action, and there is only one action phase per turn.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 08:54 PM   #3
Justa

By way of providing some background info, my character caused this discussion.
He attacked and rolled an 18, resulting in his weapon breaking. In his next turn during the Movement Phase, he was still engaged and chose option (m). See page 103 in ITL rules. A figure which is engaged with an enemy (in italics next) "when its turn comes to move" may perform any one of the following options. I chose option (m) CHANGE WEAPONS. which is to stand still or shift AND ready a new weapon.
The GM argued that the shift or stand still constituted the Movement Phase and that readying the new weapon constituted an Action option, so that I could not attack during the same turn.
I maintain that shift or stand still AND ready a new weapon are all part of the Movement Phase, as described in option (m), and that I should be permitted to attack during the Action Phase.
We eagerly await your collected learned opinions.

Last edited by Justa; 11-20-2018 at 08:58 PM.
Justa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 09:03 PM   #4
Justa

Reply to Lars:
READY A NEW WEAPON is an Action for a Disengaged figure. I was Engaged with two enemies at the time this occurred.
Again I refer you to rules for Engaged figures, option (m).
Justa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 09:36 PM   #5
platimus

Justa,
Lars (and your GM) are absolutely correct. Not sure how you could think otherwise.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:46 PM   #6
hcobb

Hence the use of the Quick-Draw talent.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:55 PM   #7
blacksmith61

Lars and the GM are correct.

It's clear from reading pg. 103 you pick ONE letter for your turn and that's it. And for what it is worth the way my group played it going back to the 1970s.

Breaking a weapon is an inherent bad thing and being able to immediately continue your own flow of combat after such an occurrence minimizes the importance of such a key event. This is part of what makes the core mechanics shine.

One thing to remember is that Steve Jackson is a very capable and cagy game designer. I'm sure that when he designed Melee, all options were carefully considered so that no one gets a free lunch.
blacksmith61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 10:00 PM   #8
blacksmith61

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Hence the use of the Quick-Draw talent.
And with that, hcobb has nailed it. If Justa was correct, there would be no need for this skill!
Old 11-20-2018, 10:02 PM   #9
blacksmith61

And note even the Quick Draw skill is not without its risks. Again going back to SJ's "No free Lunch" design approach! : )
Old 11-21-2018, 08:20 AM   #10
larsdangly

There is an important lesson here about how to approach the rules in TFT. This is a 'technical' game in the sense that it is built intentionally around the idea the players will use the structured rules governing movement and actions to compete with each other and gain advantage. But, parts of it are not written in a tightly-reasoned, legalistic way; there are many instances where a specific rule comes across as ambiguous. Yet the basic structure of the rules are clear. I feel like its important to be guided by the structure of the rules when you are trying to decide particular ambiguities. In this case, it is clear that each 'option' provides you a constraint on movement in the movement phase coupled with a single action in the action phase.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote