Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-19-2015, 04:16 PM   #111
TJA

Default Re: [Combat]: Do you bow, bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
This. If you want a magical ranged fighter, use magic as powers. I'm fond of the wizard who has three or four alternate attacks or even modular abilities that use an element (say -- fire) to make several forms of attacks. be careful to cap the damage output of the innate attack though .
Some examples of that?
Old 07-19-2015, 04:19 PM   #112
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJA View Post
Some examples of that?
Burning Attack 3, AA, Costs FP
Burning Attack 3; Non-Incendiary, AA, Costs FP
Burning Attack 3, Surge, Costs FP

Throw a Magic PM on all three, and you have a mage slinging Fire, Ice, and Lightning as Alternative Abilities to each other.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 04:52 PM   #113
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Ohhhhh, i love that!
Thank you!

Did you use a program or spreadsheet?
nope just my Statistical knowledge and a calculator

Though Did write a Damage Calculator program (on my website) I'm currently working on to upgrade it to include the Miss by One Torso hits for the hit location it applies to.

I'm tempted to run the though experiment on a closer range (this time using the right encumbered move) to find out what range he would be expected to reach the archer. Which would discover find what range the quick shooting and not aiming is a better deal (given the Archer doesn't have Heroic Archer only Weapon Master Bow)
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 06:04 PM   #114
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Some examples of that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Burning Attack 3, AA, Costs FP
Burning Attack 3; Non-Incendiary, AA, Costs FP
Burning Attack 3, Surge, Costs FP

Throw a Magic PM on all three, and you have a mage slinging Fire, Ice, and Lightning as Alternative Abilities to each other.
That's one take. I actually have some fairly standard ones:

one attack (it doesn't really matter unless your GM makes this the default attack) [20]
modular abilities 1 slot (small list) [4] + 4 points(near instant) [20]

The character can take a round to switch 'spell types'. He buys alternates to the 20 point attack from the following list. If your GM insists that's a lengthy catalog, thats an extra point. All attacks are fire based.

Spoiler:  

The source for this list is here, on my blog.. There are actually more modifications I can add.

for 44 points you have a very versatile piece of artillery (and not versatile at much else) who can throw out 4d per turn or 2d in area attacks. Aiming is sometimes a good idea (but not universal). Please note you need innate attack and this is a DX build, not an IQ one.

If you only want a few of these powers, use alternate abilities rather than modular points for alternate abilities.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 07:05 PM   #115
Žorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adversary View Post
While the Grey Mouser always carries Scalpel and Cat's Claw.
I thought he always carried weapons that he called by those names, rather than that they were always the same weapons. i recall him dropping weapons and losing them all over the place.

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Žorkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 04:02 PM   #116
Adversary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Žorkell View Post
I thought he always carried weapons that he called by those names, rather than that they were always the same weapons. i recall him dropping weapons and losing them all over the place.
Yes, I think that may be true. I guess what I am saying is if I were to make the Grey Mouser as an RPG character, I would overlook that point and give him weapon bond. He carries a named sword and dagger, always the same type. I don't recall him changing weapons in the stories themselves...more something that is indicated to happen between books. In my experience in role-playing games involuntarily changing weapons isn't that common. You create your character, write down "fine saber," and that is your weapon--that same fine saber--until some fairly serious in-story event deprives you of it. The gamemaster never tells you "Btw, between adventures you broke your sword practicing/left it at an inn/found one you like slightly better and traded."

Perhaps the Mouser's changing swords but calling all of them Scalpel is an example of Signature Gear's "If it is truly lost forever through no fault of your own, the GM will give you back your points (or replace the item with another of equal value)." Perhaps Mouser's gm generously interpreted "item of equal value" as "another fine saber" and allowed Weapon Bond to transfer.
Adversary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 04:36 PM   #117
Anthony

Quote:
In my experience in role-playing games involuntarily changing weapons isn't that common.
Unless the GM in a 3/3.5e decides "You know what, Sunder is a great feat for my bad guys to have", yeah.
Quote:
Perhaps the Mouser's changing swords but calling all of them Scalpel is an example of Signature Gear
Actually, I think it's just a quirk "names his swords Needle and Scalpel".
Old 07-20-2015, 06:10 PM   #118
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Unless the GM in a 3/3.5e decides "You know what, Sunder is a great feat for my bad guys to have", yeah.
And that's when I learned the technique Kick: Targeted Attack (Groin).
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 04:12 PM   #119
TJA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
That's one take. I actually have some fairly standard ones:
Very interesting.
Will have a look at your blog!

I would like something like "Psionic Powers" for Magic.

Ready make "Spells" with adjustable features: dice of damage, amount of bonus, amount of malus, radius, easy or hard to resist, and so on
Old 07-22-2015, 04:58 PM   #120
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Ready make "Spells" with adjustable features: dice of damage, amount of bonus, amount of malus, radius, easy or hard to resist, and so on
More than a few have tried to tackle Magic Spells as Powers. But I haven't heard anyone bashing their head against that brick wall for long.

Tags
bow