Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 03-09-2022, 08:13 AM   #121
the_matrix_walker

Default Re: Corco's Villa

I'll put together a point appropriate template combining some of the traits of V's genesis form with the elastic skin and maybe a couple of extra arms for fun.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 01:34 PM   #122
the_matrix_walker

Moving this to the OOC since we're discussing and not dialoguing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Well I'm more saying in a meta sense that we can't just avoid heading to the middle of the temple regardless which way we go about this.
I don't see a way around that in any event.
Quote:
Which will probably spark a lot of questions with difficult answers from the emperor. Like:
- Why haven't you responded to commands?
- Why have you seemingly disappeared?
- Why did you bother capturing her to begin with? I told you to kill her.

I'm not clear what the strategy for avoiding the emperor's immediate attention is here.
The hope is that the immortals will not be questioned by lesser guards and that Maximus will be distracted by the rebellion's attack.

This is part of the reason the ever-lengthening time frame is a problem, for both Kunnifax and the priest's discovery.

This part of the plan has never changed... The question was whether it would be better to penetrate as priests or Kunnifax and a prisoner IIRC.

You may recall Vassarious was concerned about removing the priest prematurely when they thought they would be gone for a day, and the time span just keeps growing. The Emporer may not tell anyone Kunifax is missing for the first few days or even a week, so they do not appear weak...Every day that passes is another day Cyrraelian might have a friend look in on them or work may want to know why he's showing up but his duties are not being performed. I would expect our chances of success are dropping daily.

Changing the wall plans will require breaking into multiple vaults, their most secure computer systems, and their backups, and still leaves their experts available to say "This is wrong".

Quote:

Well somebody has to do it until:
A) We trust Cyraelian enough not to just sell us out immediately after being left on his own, or
B) We make a move so obvious that won't make a difference whether Cyraelian's absence is noted or not.
A) Trusting Cyrraelian for even a moment out of our sight sounds like folly to me.
B) We set our time to penetrate and leave him tied up... When we're ready to go, we just need him to stay out of the loop for an hour or two.
Old 03-09-2022, 02:23 PM   #123
TGLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Every day that passes is another day Cyrraelian might have a friend look in on them or work may want to know why he's showing up but his duties are not being performed. I would expect our chances of success are dropping daily.
I dunno, as far as I can tell Halcyone has been doing a good job doing Cyraelian's job. And surely any of Cyraelian's friends would reach out and try to get in touch with him via phone, social media and the like.

Quote:
The Emporer may not tell anyone Kunifax is missing for the first few days or even a week, so they do not appear weak...
I dunno; I fear the ship may already have sailed on that one. Kunnifax has been "missing" for... I dunno, about a week so far?
Day 1: Getting into town
Day 2: Breaking into Cyraelian's to investigate
Day 3: Capturing Cyraelian
Day 4: Investigating while posing as Cyraelian
Day 5: Getting the photographer's phone
Day 6: Shadowing the maid, making an offer
Day 7: Planting bugs in Fericus's
Day 9(?): Privacy booth built.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 03:52 PM   #124
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
I dunno; I fear the ship may already have sailed on that one. Kunnifax has been "missing" for... I dunno, about a week so far?
Ugh... I'm so bad a keeping track of time in games.

... And we haven't planned the timing for the attack yet.

So we probably need to come up with a new penetration plan. It is more than likely already too late to use the tunnel unless we want to risk Vasarious going in as Retifurus or lure out another immortal to take out and impersonate.

I really should have figured that out when the trip to Holo-Maximus didn't have the planned one-day turnaround.

How deep is Cyraelian's access? Do we need to replace two more people, or only one more if we need to get to the Emporer's wall as authorized personnel?
Old 03-10-2022, 07:49 AM   #125
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Well I guess we ought to case the route from the entrance to the temple to the hidden tunnel. Whole thing seems too easy...
I don't know if I'd say it was easy as a whole... We had to cross worlds and do multiple solo infiltrations and investigations to get this far. The tunnel part is thankfully a simple step, but we'll still have to hold them off once they figure out what we're up to... And maybe that's super overconfident to think we can pull that off...

Eric will have to correct me if I'm wrong here, but I don't think the opening quest is meant to be a saga. I think the campaign is meant to be kinda episodal and our "pilot" episode is now a three-parter... but I may be just be being short-sighted. Unfortunately, I sometimes oscillate between overthinking things and getting impatient and blindly rushing forward...

And maybe I'm thinking to much into "Adventurer" mode and the better plan is to steal some plans, get someone who's not in the conspiracy who can point out what's wrong and take it to the senate for a slow political solution.

So... Go ahead and keep doing what you're doing and I'll just keep following your lead, but we need to pick a plan and stick to it so the opportunities don't evaporate as the time frame expands.
Old 03-10-2022, 08:12 AM   #126
TGLS

Quote:
I don't know if I'd say it was easy as a whole...
Maybe it's not actually that easy, but easy by comparison. I mean, I'm kind of used to, "Doing anything becomes a big process that leads to three more processes". The whole tunnel plan seems like:
1) Sneak into the temple, possibly by peeling off from a group of tourists who tour on a particular route near the tunnel (Stealth)
2) Pretend to be Kunnifax and enter the tunnel (Disguise, Acting)

And we're off to the races! It just feels like there's something missing that'll blow up in our faces.
Old 03-10-2022, 10:39 AM   #127
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Its day seven. When you two separate time gets asychronus. In those seven days Vassarious has had time to meet with kunnifax, get all the generals, come back, and order the booth.

Quote:
So we probably need to come up with a new penetration plan. It is more than likely already too late to use the tunnel unless we want to risk Vasarious going in as Retifurus or lure out another immortal to take out and impersonate.
Depending on if the badge gets disabled or flagged. When you went over the plan with Kunnifax he didn't think this was likely... the emperor has been neglecting to use his mortal tools. Kunnifax could be wrong, or the conspiracy may have noticed something... but I'm trying to give you the correct idea of your odds.

Quote:
How deep is Cyraelian's access? Do we need to replace two more people, or only one more if we need to get to the Emporer's wall as authorized personnel?
Cyraelian has free access up to wall three-- far more than the public has. He doesn't have official access past wall three, but he has free access to its base.

Quote:
Maybe it's not actually that easy, but easy by comparison. I mean, I'm kind of used to, "Doing anything becomes a big process that leads to three more processes". The whole tunnel plan seems like:
1) Sneak into the temple, possibly by peeling off from a group of tourists who tour on a particular route near the tunnel (Stealth)
2) Pretend to be Kunnifax and enter the tunnel (Disguise, Acting)

And we're off to the races! It just feels like there's something missing that'll blow up in our faces.
The entrance to the tunnel isn't even in the temple complex. Its in a boring warehouse. You will still need to get from the temple entrance to the emperor's secret tomb wall once out of the tunnel.

The tunnel is kinda of easy at this point, but you kind of worked for it. You've turned one of the emperor's trusted agents, which is quite a feat. You had to defeat an immortal in one specific location to do it.

I do think you're close. I'm debating if holo-maximus should provide a little more direction.

I do think as far as spy work goes, we could raise the cinematics up a touch, at least for Halcyone.

As far as "episode" length goes... this one is turning out long. we'll see if its three parts or two, comparatively.

I hope that all helps.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 11:29 AM   #128
TGLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
The entrance to the tunnel isn't even in the temple complex. Its in a boring warehouse. You will still need to get from the temple entrance to the emperor's secret tomb wall once out of the tunnel.
I'm confused; I thought the tunnel went from "a courtyard inside the complex" to "the tombs":
Quote:
The immortals have access to a "secret" tunnel that's actually actively maintained. Its purpose is discreet exit of the inner courtyard from the public. It has a few security systems posted in it, but these are by necessity lightly maintained. A few human guards with top security clearance, plus the eye of the emperor* and the fact that it dumps you out in the middle of the immortal tombs.
Quote:
I do think as far as spy work goes, we could raise the cinematics up a touch, at least for Halcyone.

As far as "episode" length goes... this one is turning out long. we'll see if its three parts or two, comparatively.
Well, that's how pilots are. Work out the kinks in the show and often run long.
Old 03-10-2022, 11:37 AM   #129
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
I'm confused; I thought the tunnel went from "a courtyard inside the complex" to "the tombs":

for reference:

Quote:
The Tunnel's entrance is in an "amphitheater", which turns out to be a conference center. It has good but mundane security protecting the outside, and then a guard who really knows what's going on in the basement. The guard is traditionally among the best of the best of the army, but with a war going on, standards might have slipped. The door is locked, and the guard and the immortal badge together open it. Kunnifax thinks there are probably cameras in the tunnel, but he can't be sure ("I've been dormant for a seventy years, give me a break. I'm happy I know what a camera is"). There is another traditionally expert gaurd at the other end of the tunnel, with another door requiring two locks, and then you exit through a door into the lobby of the first immortal.

This is the first and original reference as well:

Quote:
Kunnifax knows a little more. The immortals have access to a "secret" tunnel that's actually actively maintained. Its purpose is discreet exit of the inner courtyard from the public. It has a few security systems posted in it, but these are by necessity lightly maintained. A few human guards with top security clearance, plus the eye of the emperor* and the fact that it dumps you out in the middle of the immortal tombs.

*Kunnifax is not sure how close Maximus, and especially current and altered Maximus, watches that passage. Holo Maximus doesn't know either, but helpfully supplies the information that Maximus proper can only watch about 20 places at once.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 03-17-2022, 07:49 AM   #130
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
The vest was what they had from their original world, but when they came to this world they had a TL 9 Hardshell suit that was supplied.

Previously, you had indicated...
You're right... that's what I get for going on my memory rather than looking previous comments up. Yes, V can get a tactical suit from basic.

Quote:
If we have a day, I can conceivably run back to the caves for headquarters to send us a care package. If so, can they whip up armor for a four-armed template so I can steal some tentacle arms since Vassarious has learned how to do them from Halycone?
They can't design and build a four-armed version in a day, no.

Quote:
The template: [163pts]

- Set ST + Striking ST as high as can be managed for SM 0 [0]

DR 5 (Tough Skin, -40%) [15]
Elastic Skin [20]
Extra Arms, 2 (Extra Flexible. +50%) [30]
High Pain Threshold [10]
Night Vision 3 [3]
Immune to Metabolic Hazards [30]
Shuriken / Bladed hands / Long Knife [55]*

*Statistics: Impaling Natural Attack (Armor Divisor (2), +50%; Extra Damage Type, Cutting, +20%; Extra Reach, C, 1, +50%; Good Defense, +2 to Parry, +60%; Hidden, +20%; Increased Damage, +2 per Die, +120%; Ranged, +100%; Ranged, Increased Range, 1/2D x5, +10%; Ranged, Long Range, +50%; Ranged, Very Rapid Fire, RoF 3, +60%; Selectivity, +10%; Swing Capable - Cutting) [55]
We've got to start storing all of these templates somewhere. Could you elaborate on the changes between this natural attack and the genesis weapon? I'd like to keep the weapon close to the base weapons: "Shuriken / Bladed hands / Long Knife"

SM+0 is not the only factor here... the benchmark for high ST at SM+0 is 20. You can drop ST to increase Striking ST by 2, up to 15 ST +10 Striking ST.