Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 12-09-2022, 06:22 AM   #1
DHood64

Default Staff spell, does it require 1 IQ to learn each level?

If a wizard has IQ 13 to allow learn STAFF I, II and III

Is that 1 IQ pt to learn in total.. covers all the earlier Staff spells?
or
3 IQ pts in total to learn Staff I, II, then III ??

I did see "creation spells" mention 1 IQ covers earlier/smaller hex spells
DHood64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 06:50 AM   #2
hcobb

Default Re: Staff spell, does it require 1 IQ to learn each level?

Yes, one memory point for each level of Staff spell.
ITL, p. 18 "Each level of Staff is a prerequisite to the next."
Compare to
ITL, p. 137 "A Creation Spell for a given area includes all the spells of the same type for lesser areas. For instance, a wizard who knows 3-Hex Fire is also assumed to know the one-hex Fire spell, at no extra IQ cost"

So your typical IQ 17 goblin witch pays 5 memory points (or 2500 XP) to learn Staff through Staff V, but only one memory point (or 500 XP) to learn 7-hex Fire, which she needs both hands to find the magic for, but then automatically knows 3-hex fire which she can cast while physically (if not mentally) paralyzed. (Being 5 IQ levels below her own.)
Old 12-10-2022, 06:50 AM   #3
hcobb

Here's a fully worked out example:

Fitbur, Dwarf wizard, age 20
ST 10, DX 9, IQ 13, MA 10
Talents: Knife, Literacy
Spells include: 3-Hex Fire, 3-Hex Shadow, 3-Hex Wall, Dark Vision, Illusion, Open Tunnel, Staff III
Languages: Common, Dwarvish
Weapon: 2-handed maul (1d+1), Staff III silver dagger (1d-1; 1d occult at +3 DX), silver dagger (1d-1), brand (1d-2)
Attacks and Damage: Punch (1d-3)
Equipment: Belt pouch, backpack, 4 days rations, 2 full waterskins, middle class robe, 4 healing potions, nine silver coins.

As a starting character Fitbur only has his IQ 13 in memory points and these are allocated as following.

Knife is a one point talent, doubled for wizards: 2 memory points
Literacy is a one point talent, even for wizards: 1 memory point
3-Hex Fire spell: 1 memory point
Fire spell: free with 3-Hex Fire
3-Hex Shadow spell: 1 memory point
Shadow spell: free with 3-Hex Shadow
3-Hex Wall spell: 1 memory point
Wall spell: free with 3-Hex Wall
Dark Vision spell: 1 memory point
Illusion spell: 1 memory point
Open Tunnel spell: 1 memory point
Staff spell: 1 memory point
Staff II spell: 1 memory point
Staff III spell: 1 memory point
Dwarvish language: free for dwarves
Common language: 1 memory point

Total: 13 memory points

After 5 pounds for his staff sized maul, 1 pound for the brand (same as torch), 0.4 pounds for the two daggers, and 14.19 pounds of other equipment (his 4 pound robe doesn't count as per ITL, p. 66, and I assume that potions are 0.4 pounds each as five potions (of types other than healing) makes a 2 pound gas bomb as per ITL, p. 145), Fitbur is carrying 20.59 pounds of effective load. As a dwarf he has double load capacity and can carry up to four times his strength in pounds (40 pounds) without any swimming penalty, and up to 80 pounds before being slowed in combat.
Old 12-10-2022, 08:51 AM   #4
DHood64

Thanks, we House-ruled Staff spells stack, so Staff III (includes II, and I) and in total is 1 IQ point. Its just making the staff better - not a totally differnet spell in our eyes.
DHood64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 10:59 AM   #5
phiwum

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHood64 View Post
Thanks, we House-ruled Staff spells stack, so Staff III (includes II, and I) and in total is 1 IQ point. Its just making the staff better - not a totally differnet spell in our eyes.
Matter of taste, obviously, but getting Staff IV (free attack each turn for 1 ST, ignores armor) for a single point is pretty generous.
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 12:04 PM   #6
Bill_in_IN

The 5 level of staff spells are a new thing in Legacy TFT. While 2 levels of staff spells existed in Classic TFT, only Staff 1 spell is similar in both and the Staff of Mastery in Classic TFT was no where near as powerful as as Staff 2 in Legacy TFT.

I concur that the Staff Spells do not, and probably should not stack. Meaning that each one costs 1 IQ point or equivalent XP. This is driven by ITL stating that each level of staff spell requires the prior level to already be possessed by the PC. At least, that;s how most apply the logic within the English language. However, one can house rule it however they want.

The only house rule that I have (for now and subject to change) is that when a PC achieves the talent of Staff 2, where they are able to spend 200 XP to charge the staff with mana points up to the level of their IQ, they get one mana point for free. Thus far, it has not upset the balance of the TFT universe. However, I may change that to the first two mana points only cost 100 XP so that the wizard has a little more skin in the process. There is a chance that I may remove any of these house rules with respect to Staff spells and operate per the book but the Legacy TFT staff spells are new to me and I'm OK with promoting them in this manner. It's actually one of those things that I wished had occurred in Classic TFT where the ineffectiveness of the staff spells made them an afterthought at best which is completely out of balance with the concept of a wizard's staff.
Bill_in_IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 12:07 PM   #7
Bill_in_IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Matter of taste, obviously, but getting Staff IV (free attack each turn for 1 ST, ignores armor) for a single point is pretty generous.
I concur 1,000%.<---That was a jab at your inner mathematician. LOL!
Bill_in_IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 01:49 PM   #8
hcobb

The new Staff III is roughly the same as the old Staff of Power enchantment. It does half as much damage and costs fatigue to do so, but does so at range, ignoring mundane protections, and at +3 DX. It costs three times as many memory points, (but Legacy wizards have vastly cheaper memory points), and is 3 IQ levels lower than before.
Old 12-22-2022, 03:31 AM   #9
pzmcgwire

The 1 ST cost for a ranged occult staff attack is appropriate, but a wizard who gets a foe adjacent would do better clubbing the opponent with a two handed staff club at no ST cost as long as the foe is lightly armored.

Wizards without manna support are quite vulnerable especially if they have to spend 1 ST per attack with their staff.

I just had my experienced wizard easily bested by the two goblins in the TFT helper app.
pzmcgwire is offline   Reply With Quote