Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-17-2012, 05:15 PM   #11
Anaraxes

Default Re: Chess-like teleportation

Slightly more limiting if you can't choose which of the two hexes form the base of the 'L'. The limitation might be really "only three yards" or "only two yards".

Knights in chess don't have facing, so I assume that's not a problem here. But that could be another limitation; in tactical combat, it might cost you some Move to face the right way before porting. If you were so limited, you'd also have the possibilities of "Left-Handed L Only" or "Right-Handed L Only", which is to say one specific hex given your facing, two or three hexes away (pre-selected in the most stringent case).
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:07 AM   #12
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Slightly more limiting if you can't choose which of the two hexes form the base of the 'L'. The limitation might be really "only three yards" or "only two yards".

Knights in chess don't have facing, so I assume that's not a problem here. But that could be another limitation; in tactical combat, it might cost you some Move to face the right way before porting. If you were so limited, you'd also have the possibilities of "Left-Handed L Only" or "Right-Handed L Only", which is to say one specific hex given your facing, two or three hexes away (pre-selected in the most stringent case).
I gathered that the idea was to limit the number of potential destinations at the range extent, much like a knight in chess cannot (in one move) reach every square two spaces away from it.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:35 AM   #13
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
I gathered that the idea was to limit the number of potential destinations at the range extent, much like a knight in chess cannot (in one move) reach every square two spaces away from it.
But that only works because chessboard space is discrete. Physical space is continuous. Though I suppose you could say "teleport, 2.25 yards, must land 26.6° to the side of the direction you are facing." But you could still turn any arbitrary number of degrees to change your destination.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:11 PM   #14
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
But that only works because chessboard space is discrete. Physical space is continuous. Though I suppose you could say "teleport, 2.25 yards, must land 26.6° to the side of the direction you are facing." But you could still turn any arbitrary number of degrees to change your destination.
Heh, I won't argue the playability of the idea. It would be better just to get the specific intent from the op. If the chess analogy held up, I would not think that simple facing would matter. You'd probably base it on some external factor, like true north.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:19 PM   #15
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
If the chess analogy held up, I would not think that simple facing would matter.
Since Concentrate gives you a Step, facing won't actually matter regardless. Without some really arbitrary rule (like a true north orientation) it's just going to end up being "Can Warp either 2 or 3 yards".

If you really want knight movement how about using a single orienting direction as NAS suggests and decoupling it from the hex grid? Have the character Warp in straight cardinal lines and end up in whichever hex that puts them.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:17 PM   #16
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post

Bill Stoddard
I was kinda assuming he could turn any arbitrary number of degrees; instead, he could only point himself in specific facings. Basically, I assumed he was trying to stat up an actual board-game piece in GURPS terms.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:54 PM   #17
JMD

Quote:
Heh, I won't argue the playability of the idea. It would be better just to get the specific intent from the op. If the chess analogy held up, I would not think that simple facing would matter. You'd probably base it on some external factor, like true north.
The original intent is just to have the warp act like the knight piece. I'm totally open to having their facing matter (or not) depending on what people came up with.

This IS for an actual game. There are several gods, and worship by a god by a character (demi-gods) confers onto them a blessing in the form of a power. This power derives from the horse-headed god of travel.
JMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:07 PM   #18
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD View Post
The original intent is just to have the warp act like the knight piece. I'm totally open to having their facing matter (or not) depending on what people came up with.
I'd make it depend on an arbitrary direction (just like a chess board) and in-game straight lines rather than a hex grid that doesn't exist in game.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:11 PM   #19
JMD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I'd make it depend on an arbitrary direction (just like a chess board) and in-game straight lines rather than a hex grid that doesn't exist in game.
That's a pretty good idea. How does this look?

Warp [5
Reliable 5, 25%;
L-shape only, Cardinal Directions Only (Nuisance), -5%;
3-yards only, -65%;
Costs Fatigue 1, -5%;
Uses per day 4, -20%;
Takes Recharge 5 seconds, -10%]
JMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:07 PM   #20
tfaal

What happens if he teleports from the North Pole? :P