Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2021, 06:53 AM   #971
GnomesofZurich
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Canada
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Well I think we can kill a bunch of time with the meeting and perhaps with sabotage. Maybe if other stuff happens too. So maybe it would matter? A 20% chance of unrecoverable failure is a bit high for me.
Fair enough, we'll call it good with 10.
__________________
Secret: Not a Gnome. (Actually a Dwarf with Dwarfism).
GnomesofZurich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 09:37 AM   #972
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

1st shift starts 102 hours after dropping out of hyperspace: Pacficia and Daymar should be asleep, Hua will be assigned work around the hyperdrive core.

The meeting is in about 18 hours, during third shift.

anything to do this shift? Or the next shift, for that matter?
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 11:28 AM   #973
Hide
 
Hide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Once Pacifica is dimissed (done talking to Vinobi), she gets to work and carries on as usual, then she goes to Zybo.

Sir, how may I help you?
__________________
- 画龍点睛。Hide。
Hide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 03:51 PM   #974
GnomesofZurich
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Canada
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
1st shift starts 102 hours after dropping out of hyperspace: Pacficia and Daymar should be asleep, Hua will be assigned work around the hyperdrive core.

The meeting is in about 18 hours, during third shift.

anything to do this shift? Or the next shift, for that matter?
Daymar is going to try to push the drive repairs back. During his shift, he's going to try to identify a crewman working on the repairs and use the Independent Suggestion technique to provide the worker some instructions on how to damage the drive.

Here is a Mechanic (Stardrive) roll to determine the best suggestion to give to the crewman in question.

[653] 21-09-30 23:48:35 CEST

Mechanic (Stardrive)

3d6 <= 14
1 + 6 + 2 = 9 ... success

He will spend 5 FP to use the technique (2 base + 3 to reduce the skill penalty):

[654] 21-09-30 23:50:07 CEST

Suggestion (Independent)

3d6 <= 16
6 + 2 + 5 = 13 ... success

It will only last minutes equal to my margin of success (so it will also depend how well the crewman passes or fails his Will roll).
__________________
Secret: Not a Gnome. (Actually a Dwarf with Dwarfism).
GnomesofZurich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 10:06 PM   #975
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
1st shift starts 102 hours after dropping out of hyperspace: Pacficia and Daymar should be asleep, Hua will be assigned work around the hyperdrive core.

The meeting is in about 18 hours, during third shift.

anything to do this shift? Or the next shift, for that matter?
I forgot to say anything about the roll I made earlier. I'd like to get a feel for how well the drive repairs are going.
Quote:
[652] 21-09-29 16:43:13 CEST
Observation
3d6 <= 13
1 + 4 + 4 = 9 ... success
Would it be possible to mess up the drive repairs clandestinely? Perhaps by messing with a forklift so it would drop one of the discs?
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 10:07 AM   #976
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
I forgot to say anything about the roll I made earlier. I'd like to get a feel for how well the drive repairs are going.

Would it be possible to mess up the drive repairs clandestinely? Perhaps by messing with a forklift so it would drop one of the discs?

And I forgot to address it as well.



You can mess with the forklifts if you want, but targeting a breakdown to effect a specific delicate piece of machinery is going to require more than a simple mechanics roll. You can cause general forklift issues: how many do you want to cause, and how long of a repair time do you want? Your orders include getting this ship into battle after you take it...



Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
Once Pacifica is dimissed (done talking to Vinobi), she gets to work and carries on as usual, then she goes to Zybo.

Sir, how may I help you?

Zybo: "Are we wrapping up on all of the logistics reports? I suppose we are."*


Zybo: "We suspect that the dreadstormers are trying to sabotage the repair of the hyperdrive core. We're trying to come up with anti-sabotage measures. Could you come up with a few ideas for me?"



*OCC: administration job roll succeeded by 6.


Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
Daymar is going to try to push the drive repairs back. During his shift, he's going to try to identify a crewman working on the repairs and use the Independent Suggestion technique to provide the worker some instructions on how to damage the drive.

Here is a Mechanic (Stardrive) roll to determine the best suggestion to give to the crewman in question.

[653] 21-09-30 23:48:35 CEST

Mechanic (Stardrive)

3d6 <= 14
1 + 6 + 2 = 9 ... success

He will spend 5 FP to use the technique (2 base + 3 to reduce the skill penalty):

[654] 21-09-30 23:50:07 CEST

Suggestion (Independent)

3d6 <= 16
6 + 2 + 5 = 13 ... success

It will only last minutes equal to my margin of success (so it will also depend how well the crewman passes or fails his Will roll).

the crew member rolls a 16... he has eight minutes to pull off his sabotage.


Will you be passing them in the hall or will you be giving the command from the engineering floor surrounding the hyperspace core?
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 11:10 AM   #977
GnomesofZurich
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Canada
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
the crew member rolls a 16... he has eight minutes to pull off his sabotage.

Will you be passing them in the hall or will you be giving the command from the engineering floor surrounding the hyperspace core?
In the hall, I want to minimize the chance someone will connect "Nijothu" to the incident, even though the only connection is briefly being in proximity with each other.
__________________
Secret: Not a Gnome. (Actually a Dwarf with Dwarfism).
GnomesofZurich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 11:26 AM   #978
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
You can mess with the forklifts if you want, but targeting a breakdown to effect a specific delicate piece of machinery is going to require more than a simple mechanics roll.
Maybe I could do a mechanic roll with the confuse roll to cause a forklift to breakdown at some critical time, like with locks in the armory.
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 06:08 PM   #979
Hide
 
Hide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
(...) Zybo: "We suspect that the dreadstormers are trying to sabotage the repair of the hyperdrive core. We're trying to come up with anti-sabotage measures. Could you come up with a few ideas for me?" (...)
Yes, my suggestion is to work with an infiltrate. We could take three approaches; (1) You could pick a man you trust (albeit qualified to work in the hyperdrive section) and send him “sabotage” the hyperdrive. You can feed the ship with rumors and let the rumors build rep for him. (2) You could free one of the prisoners and tail him. (3) You could break a deal with one of the prisoners and turn him into an infiltrate or use him as bait. I could help you checking the profiles and pick the most suitable crewman.
__________________
- 画龍点睛。Hide。
Hide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 12:33 PM   #980
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
Daymar is going to try to push the drive repairs back. During his shift, he's going to try to identify a crewman working on the repairs and use the Independent Suggestion technique to provide the worker some instructions on how to damage the drive.
The crewman he targets in the hall is an engineer on the hyper core. The largest and quickest movements of the core are over, so large movement sabotage won't work, and the parts aren't moving yet, but they are exposed, and some of them are delicate. The mechanic will try to scratch some of the more sensitive parts with a screwdriver, requiring the parts to be painstakingly repaired.


Daymar is not around to see how things fail



Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
Yes, my suggestion is to work with an infiltrate. We could take three approaches; (1) You could pick a man you trust (albeit qualified to work in the hyperdrive section) and send him “sabotage” the hyperdrive. You can feed the ship with rumors and let the rumors build rep for him. (2) You could free one of the prisoners and tail him. (3) You could break a deal with one of the prisoners and turn him into an infiltrate or use him as bait. I could help you checking the profiles and pick the most suitable crewman.
"Infiltration..." Zybo muses... "Your ideas all seem to rely on the dreadstormers making contact with their allies. So far, it seems that they avoid doing that. How could we make contact happen?"


Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Maybe I could do a mechanic roll with the confuse roll to cause a forklift to breakdown at some critical time, like with locks in the armory.
Confuse would work. Knocking that out requires Per-based freight handling at -2 to pick out the correct time. I also need to know your range, and you need to make the roll: you get -1 to skill per yard away you are.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.