Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-26-2016, 03:43 PM   #11
DanHoward

Default Re: Open sandbox improvisational campaign based on Jagged Alliance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empada View Post
Well... you could send them to the Metavira Island, or Arulco in South America.

You can also make one shot missions based on original games, but without a sequence of travels. Like, taking one SAM site, or freeing the Drassen airport, or an assassination mission in Meduna.

You want to make the original mercs for your players to choose or they will have custom mercs? I ask because some time ago I was thinking about it, and I want to use the original Mercs.
Yeah, this is the best way. You can create any kind of government and timeline you want while interacting with real-world events when you need to.

Off-Topic: JA2 is one of the best games ever written. Anyone who hasn't played it has missed out on a very cool gaming experience.
Old 10-26-2016, 07:38 PM   #12
AmesJainchill

I want to put some mercenaries or maybe commandos in Sierra Gordo, from Marvel's G.I. Joe continuity. Generic South American nation. Decide on the ethnic mix, the secret police's special color, the resources available, etc.

I almost want to use proto-Joes in some one-shot scenarios.

And yes, DanHoward, JA2 is a very good game. One of my favorites.
AmesJainchill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 03:06 AM   #13
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empada View Post
Well... you could send them to the Metavira Island, or Arulco in South America.

You can also make one shot missions based on original games, but without a sequence of travels. Like, taking one SAM site, or freeing the Drassen airport, or an assassination mission in Meduna.

You want to make the original mercs for your players to choose or they will have custom mercs? I ask because some time ago I was thinking about it, and I want to use the original Mercs.
I don't actually own the game.

The reason I thought realworld is I can just use google maps. How far is the next city? lets check google. Whats the weather today? google it etc

really I now have at least two islands that are perfect.

I would love if I could zoom in close enough on google maps to print google earth at one yard an inch, but that's a tiny bit too much. Would mean I can just draw a hex grid over google map to get an instant city block or jungle camp.

I was just going to use a quick system to build the mercs.

anyway Ill muck around with it and keep it in a metaphorical back pocket for a game if it comes up
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 05:52 AM   #14
AmesJainchill

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
I don't actually own the game.
GOG.com, it's like $10.
AmesJainchill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 06:25 AM   #15
Erling

Quote:
I just want to maintain my and potential players suspension of disbelief by having a zone full of mercs without world power intervention.

Maybe setting it in the 90s (or earlier) or an alternate history might help me explain away some things.
Take a look at Indo-Pakistani War or Bangladesh Liberation War. It's one of few Cold War-era conflicts in which superpowers weren't strictly involved.

You can also take a mid-90's fictional Balkan country on a wake of civil war and introduce a reason why NATO/UN didn't get involved. Chernorus from ArmA 2 can be a nice choice, athough It'll need some tinkering with the timeline.

P.S. JA2 rocks, both vanilla and 1.13.

"ELLIOT! YOU IDIOT!" (c)
Wave your arms and shout.
Erling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 04:12 AM   #16
mhd

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmesJainchill View Post
GOG.com, it's like $10.
There's also an updated version of the game engine that allows you to run it in higher resolutions and on alternate operating systems (this isn't some half-finished fan reimplementation of the game, the publisher released the source code a few years ago and some people fixed bugs and improved upon it).
mhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 04:19 AM   #17
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhd View Post
There's also an updated version of the game engine that allows you to run it in higher resolutions and on alternate operating systems (this isn't some half-finished fan reimplementation of the game, the publisher released the source code a few years ago and some people fixed bugs and improved upon it).
I stayed with an updated XCOM until 2010. I just can't do this though.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, gurps, improvisational, jagged alliance, sandbox