Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-18-2016, 11:35 AM   #31
Phantasm

Default Re: Statting heroes from the Trojan War?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
He was kind of stupid that way.
Pride does make people do stupid things... like brag. ;)

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 09:25 PM   #32
DanHoward

Diomedes is the only real man. The rest of them are preppy cry babies.
Old 06-18-2016, 10:23 PM   #33
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
Diomedes is the only real man. The rest of them are preppy cry babies.
To my mind, there's a serious case for Hector being the most admirable character in the Iliad, certainly more so than either Achilles or Agamemnon.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 04:22 AM   #34
Anders

Have you read Colleen McCullough's Songs of Troy? That's an excellent retelling of the story of the Trojan War which I highly recommend.

Spoiler:  
Old 06-25-2016, 10:04 PM   #35
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
To my mind, there's a serious case for Hector being the most admirable character in the Iliad, certainly more so than either Achilles or Agamemnon.
Speaking of Achilles, what does the UCMJ say is the penalty for desertion in the face of the enemy?
Old 06-25-2016, 10:38 PM   #36
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
Speaking of Achilles, what does the UCMJ say is the penalty for desertion in the face of the enemy?
I have no idea. But applying it to the Trojan War seems like an anachronism.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 10:52 PM   #37
jason taylor

Quote:
I can just see it in a court-martial,"Your honor, my client deserted because he was mad at the commander for taking the woman he wanted to kidnap."
Old 06-26-2016, 12:08 AM   #38
Phantasm

Quote:
I can just see it in a court-martial,"Your honor, my client deserted because he was mad at the commander for taking the woman he wanted to kidnap."
Correction: the woman he had kidnapped. :)

As it is, though, Achilles didn't exactly desert; they knew where he was the entire time he refused to fight: on his ship or in his tent. He was the general of his own troops who he had brought with him (50 ships full of troops, according to The Iliad), not beholden to Agamemnon or Menelaus except through promises, promises which Agamemnon had broken. It'd be more like the head Russian general refusing an order from Ike during WWII; Ike could grumble about it, but he really couldn't do a thing without losing coordination efforts between the various Allied forces.

Remember, the forces arrayed both for and against Troy were loose coalitions, not a unified army. Neither side was anywhere near united under a single banner; it was Sparta (Menelaus) allied with Syracuse (Odysseus) allied with the Myrmidons (Achilles) allied with the etc.; and Troy allied with the Amazons allied with various Hittite cities allied with another etc.

So given that, Achilles was treating Agamemnon as an equal, as was his right, not as his superior. Agamemnon clearly thought differently, but egos were big on all sides of the conflict.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 05:41 PM   #39
Icelander

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
As it is, though, Achilles didn't exactly desert; they knew where he was the entire time he refused to fight: on his ship or in his tent. He was the general of his own troops who he had brought with him (50 ships full of troops, according to The Iliad), not beholden to Agamemnon or Menelaus except through promises, promises which Agamemnon had broken. It'd be more like the head Russian general refusing an order from Ike during WWII; Ike could grumble about it, but he really couldn't do a thing without losing coordination efforts between the various Allied forces.

Remember, the forces arrayed both for and against Troy were loose coalitions, not a unified army. Neither side was anywhere near united under a single banner; it was Sparta (Menelaus) allied with Syracuse (Odysseus) allied with the Myrmidons (Achilles) allied with the etc.; and Troy allied with the Amazons allied with various Hittite cities allied with another etc.

So given that, Achilles was treating Agamemnon as an equal, as was his right, not as his superior. Agamemnon clearly thought differently, but egos were big on all sides of the conflict.
It's comparable to an Afghan warlord of the Northern Alliance refusing an 'order' from a US general. There's no question of court martial or disciplinary proceedings, because getting cooperation at all is a question of diplomacy, not chain-of-command.

The modern world, somewhere in our globe, features fairly exact analogues to most military/political situations of ancient Greence. The hegemony of Agamemnon is no exception.

Last edited by Icelander; 06-26-2016 at 05:44 PM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 06:20 PM   #40
DanHoward

Yep. Achilles didn't desert, he "withdrew his support". And Hektor ran away when he finally came to face Achilles.

Tags
achilles, question, stat, trojan