Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-18-2009, 01:08 PM   #1
Der Wanderer

Default [MA] Combination Weapons: Axe Head

The rules in MA (pg 214) on Combination Weapons include, Hammer, Pick, Sickle etc. but no Axe Head, so here is my suggestion:

Axe: Any Swung, hafted weapon that deals crushing or impaling damage can have a sharpened axe head at right angles to its haft. Damage is that of its usual swinging attack, but at -1* and cutting. Depending on the design, the weapon may gain the benefits of a hook.
$30**; 0.5 lb.

Does this sound reasonable?

*Small Mace (3 lb) sw+2 cr, Small Axe (3 lb) sw+1 cut
**Small Axe (40$) + Pick (50$) = 90$; Pick (70$) + Axe (30$) = 100$ AND its more expensive than the Hammerhead.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:25 AM   #2
Ultraviolet

Default Re: [MA] Combination Weapons: Axe Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Wanderer View Post
The rules in MA (pg 214) on Combination Weapons include, Hammer, Pick, Sickle etc. but no Axe Head, so here is my suggestion:

Axe: Any Swung, hafted weapon that deals crushing or impaling damage can have a sharpened axe head at right angles to its haft. Damage is that of its usual swinging attack, but at -1* and cutting. Depending on the design, the weapon may gain the benefits of a hook.
$30**; 0.5 lb.

**Small Axe (40$) + Pick (50$) = 90$; Pick (70$) + Axe (30$) = 100$ AND its more expensive than the Hammerhead.

I'd say any mass (or impact) weapon should and could be made in any combination of cutting (axe head), impaling (spike/pick) and crushing (hammer head, flange etc.). Also pole weapons.
I'd simply add the cost and weight of the weapons; pick, axe, mace, perhaps with some small reduction. And have them do damage as the appropriate weapon type.
IIRC historically "poll axes" (much like the duelling halberds) could be with any combination of axe head, pick/spike and crushing surface (also often with a thrusting spike). The crushing-damage-dealing maces could either be a metal ball with spikes, or simply triangular flanges. Or a diamond shaped surface, but blunt rather than ending in a sharp point. Like the back end of a warhammer. These are all historically excellent armour breakers.

Axes and picks should be good for hooking, maces and blunt hammers shouldn't, but they can add a hook.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:54 AM   #3
Verjigorm

Location: Charlotte, North Caroline, United States of America, Earth?
Default Re: [MA] Combination Weapons: Axe Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Wanderer View Post

$30**; 0.5 lb.

I like it. I was wondering about this the other day, when I wanted to make a pick-axe weapon.

Tags
martial arts, weapons