Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Other Munchkin Games

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 01:27 AM   #31
Blazinjsin

Default Re: Munchkin Quest Mat for beginners

It's a very sweet mat. I would hope to see this added to the official game aid page with the other mats. As soon as it's finally cleared I'm going to download it too.

Check out my trades ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) 🍕
Old 03-18-2013, 05:02 AM   #32
ayjayuk

Hi all

Just checking in to let you know I've not died or anything. I'm glad i didnt hold my breath mind you or i'm pretty sure i would have succumed to suffocation by now.

The SJ Games licensing dept. still havent got back regarding me distributing this for FREE, and as Andrew mentioned, they're a busy bunch.

For the time being, you'll have to take my word for it, the mat has COMPLETLY REVOLUTIONISED our munchkin quest games!!

I dont think we would be able to play without them now, they've become such an integral part of our gameplay, including touring around the table looking at what people have got that's worth stealing or turning too pudding, knowing people cant hide or stack cards that are in play.

There's far less arguments, and far less time wasted discussing what's held/belted, in your Hand or in your hand (note the capitals :)). It also makes the table a much tidier place, and my own personal six are printed on roll up soft blown vinyl so they're water proof, cake proof and easy to transport.

Hopefully the SJ games team can see that this is one of the most viewed topics on the whole forum and would be making ALOT of their customers happy in giving the green light for this. Or maybe there's a business decision to be made due to the interest? Maybe an official game aid release?

Fingers crossed folks..
Old 04-09-2013, 01:43 PM   #33
skestes

Any traction on this?

I play MQ with my wife and daughters (5 and 8) and this would be a really neat addition. It would be great if SJG would give the OK for a high DPI version so I could print one here at work on the large-format printer.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:16 AM   #34
ayjayuk

Howdy all

Almost 6 months later, and im afraid still no contact, not even a "we are considering your application to give this away free" email from SJ games :(.

Just to clear things up im not wanting to SELL these i just wanted to help out the community by giving a free download link. Yes they took days of work to design and refine but i'd be happy knowing I'd helped other people to enjoy the game more in my own little way.

I can only guess that SJ games consider them to be "more than a simple game aid" which is why they wont allow me to give them out.

I also dont subscribe to the 115% busy line. Im 150% busy but still managed to spend days creating these things in my own time.

Its a shame really, an explanation of their position would be great, not just for me but for all the people who wanted to get their hands on some of these.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:33 AM   #35
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Our position is "we are really busy and evaluating free giveaways is at the very bottom of our priority list." And that isn't going to change for the next few months, which are our heavy convention season. I'm sorry that it's taking so long, but that's the way it is.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Old 06-20-2013, 08:39 AM   #36
TheDS

SJ et al,

Considering that this is a free item, that he's doing it to help you guys out, that he wants nothing in return except to know that he helped you guys out, and it doesn't violate any of your terms or copyrights or published rules or any laws or whatever, I would suggest to him that he simply go ahead and post it, and if for some reason you magically find the time to not like that he did so, you guys will also magically find the time to tell him to take it down.

I mean, really.

I get that you're busy, and by law you must protect your trademarks, but you know what? You aren't the only people on the planet whose time matters. There's a difference between reasonably protecting yourselves and being complete jackwads. If it's THAT important to suppress it, you'll make the time to do so, right? Otherwise, stop jerking your fans around about this kind of stuff. He's followed "the rules" you asked him to follow. If you have other rules or policies, make the time to tell us what they are and be done with it so this kind of thing doesn't waste anyone's time again. It should not be damn-near-impossible for players to help each other out, right? We want to encourage the fans to help each other out, right? We want to encourage new people to want to buy your stuff because you're a bunch of friendly guys who "get it", right? Right?

Visit (and LIKE) the new More in Sanity page at:
www.facebook.com/moreinsanity
Old 06-20-2013, 08:45 AM   #37
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDS View Post
SJ et al,
Thank you for your comments on our online policy. It is unfortunate that our lawyers won't let us use "don't be a jerkwad" as a guiding principle in protecting our brands; that would make life simpler.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:45 PM   #38
dimitrisasp

Did the rest of the game aids I find online pass through the same procedure? This seems to be unreasonably complex. I mean, you already have seen it Andrew. I am no expert, but wouldn't it take like 5 minutes to call someone from the legal department to check it out too? Does it really need the whole team's time to make a decision? It's also clear from a legal aspect since he wants to give it for free, unless I miss some detail about american laws on the matter.

I mean come on. We have already paid good money for the rest of the game and merchandise. You can spare us this one. It really makes the game easier.

It was very cool from ayjayuk to take the time to help the community and support the game. I can't say the same for you guys though. You are heavily concentrated on the card game and I get why, but you seem to have neglected the board game.

Just an opinion. All in good spirit! :)

Last edited by dimitrisasp; 06-22-2013 at 04:10 AM.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:10 PM   #39
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Regardless of how little time you may think it would take, checking game aids is simply not a priority right now. We have games to produce, market, and sell, and that takes up all our time. I do understand the frustration, but my department's first responsibility is getting games designed, produced, and onto store shelves. Anything that doesn't directly get that done is not on our list.

I'm hoping to get another part-time helper to knock out some of our internal backlog (notably, a real Quest FAQ and updates to the Munchkin FAQ). Once that's done, maybe I'll be able to assign "check the free stuff" to that helper.

Old 06-29-2013, 11:57 PM   #40
mdubsd

I may have good insight into this. I'm new to board gaming yet have played video games since the 70's and most recently worked in the videogame industry as a community manager for a hand full of games. I oversaw the forums, Facebook pages, Twitter, etc... for each game I worked on. + more duties

Most company's argument: Lawyers suck! (unless the play Munchkin!)
EVERY time anything tangible is released for the public it has to first be "localized". this means that every language translation for each region the game is released in must be translated and then approved by EACH of the regions legal departments. Absolutely ridiculous but it is the process. example: 10 regions = 10 translators + 10 lawyers. 20 people need to get involved. Thats a mess at best. Not sure this is the case here but it is a legit example of just one silly process.

Consumers point(?):
1. "Yes, you guys are busy but don't leave us hanging" or give us the "we can not authorize that item to be sold" (as was mentioned). The designer of the mat is trying to do the right thing by checking in with the publisher and feels he's getting penalized for going about it the right way. I agree.
2. Nothing's more annoying that going into a store like Gamestop to buy a videogame, money in hand, and you have to wait for the employee to get off the phone for people who have NOT taken the time to come in to purchase. "I'm here with my money. Wait on me first!". Fairly reasonable I think. My point is that it seems to me (I may be waaaaay off, this is just my experience) that the time taken to respond to these posts > the time to jumpstart the process.

I for one being new to this game would love any help I can get to help understand / organize this game. I recently bought Quarriors! and the player mat on the back of the instructions made all the difference to me. It was a good customer loyalty investment on their part.

That being said again, a "we can't authorize this mat" COULD leave this to be done in another forum etc... It could be called "Matt, The Lawyers Nightmare" with a disclaimer as to not being authorized.

Just trying to offer both sides from my perspective. I could be right. I could be wrong. Its up to you to decide. Just trying to help.

I'm checking these forums on help how to play the game. I LOVE randomness. I live off of it yet I'm having a hard time understanding someone else's randomness (i.e. this game). I'm frustrated. Only one (poorly produced) clip on YouTube (in english) to help and it really didn't .

Have a great day everyone!

mdubsd
Closed Thread

Tags
ayjayuk, mat, munchkin quest, quest