Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-10-2011, 03:24 PM   #31
Lord Carnifex

Default Re: Rapier Wit is kinda awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Maybe I got trolled in the past.
Given that Ali was a divisive, controversial figure well known for his abrasiveness and cockiness, it's not difficult to imagine a sports reporter, historian, or rival who might be interested in spreading or perpetuating rumors depicting him as stupid. History may be written by the winners, but sometimes it's the jealous losers who write the footnotes.

"To an Irishman, a serious matter is a joke, and a joke is a serious matter."
Lord Carnifex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 03:30 PM   #32
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Carnifex View Post
Given that Ali was a divisive, controversial figure well known for his abrasiveness and cockiness, it's not difficult to imagine a sports reporter, historian, or rival who might be interested in spreading or perpetuating rumors depicting him as stupid. History may be written by the winners, but sometimes it's the jealous losers who write the footnotes.
Controversial or not, I would not assume someone that chooses to get hit in the face for a living is capable of pithy quips. Call me prejudiced or full of confirmation bias, but it's not my go to assumption.
(Yes I know that boxing is supposed to be more about hitting the other guy in the face. Just like bull fighting is about not getting tossed in the air. Still it's much safer to just not get in the ring.)
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 03:36 PM   #33
Lord Carnifex

Quote:
Controversial or not, I would not assume someone that chooses to get hit in the face for a living is capable of pithy quips. Call me prejudiced or full of confirmation bias, but it's not my go to assumption.
Fair enough. Though the drain bamage often doesn't really set in until the end of a fighter's career after they've been hit in the face a few hundred times. Though in Ali's case, I don't know that they're 'pithy quips' so much as gems pulled from a few years of nearly continuous trash-talking. A humble, sportsman-like gentleman Ali wasn't.

"To an Irishman, a serious matter is a joke, and a joke is a serious matter."
Lord Carnifex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 03:58 PM   #34
Flyndaran
Untagged

I wasn't talking about long term brain damage. I meant the simple desire to start boxing in the first place as a career.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:22 PM   #35
JCurwen3

Quote:
I wasn't talking about long term brain damage. I meant the simple desire to start boxing in the first place as a career.
One could say something similar about the desire to start adventuring as a career, at least in certain genres...

Given the choice between boxing and bumming around dungeons, battling dragons or undead or cyborgs, or even just enlisting in the military (reining it in to realism), a career in boxing seems like a generally safer bet for the money. :-)
Old 12-10-2011, 04:23 PM   #36
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCurwen3 View Post
One could say something similar about the desire to start adventuring as a career, at least in certain genres...

Given the choice between boxing and bumming around dungeons, battling dragons or undead or cyborgs, or even just enlisting in the military (reining it in to realism), a career in boxing seems like a generally safer bet for the money. :-)
A career in ballet is also far more dangerous than a boxing career.

Not that a military career is dangerous. It's more dangerous to be a taxi driver or pizza delivery boy, for example.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:45 PM   #37
JCurwen3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
A career in ballet is also far more dangerous than a boxing career.

Not that a military career is dangerous. It's more dangerous to be a taxi driver or pizza delivery boy, for example.
Indeed, I've read horror stories about permanent paralysis as a result of any career or even stint of dancing or acrobatics (cheerleaders are grossly under-respected for what they do and what they risk... cheerleading is a sport).

And yeah, true enough, anyone having to drive or be on the road with cars and buses and trucks in play are often at greater risk from those fast-moving death traps than the average soldier (not to mention the violence perpetrated against cabbies and pizza guys).

At least in boxing, the boxers are meant to wear gloves, and are trained specifically to avoid concussion-causing events in the ring.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:31 PM   #38
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
Weird, I thought it was common knowledge. Maybe I got trolled in the past.
If I didn't suck so bad at research, I might be able to find where I read that.
As it is, I guess I'll have to admit almost certain mistake.
Oops. Glad I'm not getting graded on my posts.
Just judged.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 05:49 PM   #39
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_wilson View Post
Just judged.
Ouch. I admitted I'm probably wrong.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:18 PM   #40
Purple Haze

Quote:
(Yes I know that boxing is supposed to be more about hitting the other guy in the face. Just like bull fighting is about not getting tossed in the air. Still it's much safer to just not get in the ring.)
In the 90's the number one contender in one of the middle weight classes had a "day job", he was doing a combined MD/PhD in cranial neurosurgery. He was upper-middle class and Caucasian too.
Purple Haze is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
powers, rules question, social interaction