Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-09-2011, 06:19 PM   #11
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: Rapier Wit is kinda awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocharuk View Post
"What a coincidence. You fight like a cow."
"Yet it was your mother than I milked last night."
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:26 PM   #12
daniel_gudman

Personally I've always considered Rapier Wit a very cinematic Advantage.

I mean, if you're using it against a mook, then maybe you could get to use-as-written (but, y u not shoot mook???), but against a serious character?

Maybe you could make somebody really angry, but if it's game effect, that's more like, "Affliction (causes Disadvantage: Berserk; limitations: sound-based, must share language)" or something. If it's something like mind-games that grind away at the opponent's confidence, than that's full-blown Fast-Talk with relevant modifiers for what's going on in the combat (you Feint successfully etc)--and it takes Fast-Talk amounts of time, ie, not a free action.

Or maybe you could have the training to have two fights at once--swords and debating--and your objective is to split the opponent's attention so they get distracted and present an opening.

I guess the thing is, I'm trying to imagine like two boxers in a punch-up, and I cannot imagine anything one boxer could just say that would be so shocking or clever that the other boxer would be mentally stunned. Not just professionals, but even two high-school boxers or something.

Any situation that's deadly serious--like a sword fight--I'd give hefty bonuses for a character having the perspective to realize that words don't stab people, swords stab people, and prioritizing their attentions accordingly.

Anyway, if a player brought a character like this to the game, then first I would ponder that realistic-vs-cinematic thing, and if I decided it fit, than I would probably be with the "once per person per encounter" thing; and I would allow the mooks to (take a free action to) shout "Don't let 'em get to ya Jerry thar tryin' to rattle yer cage!" to give each other bonuses once it became clear what was going on, so it might be at the level of a "once per encounter" thing.
daniel_gudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:38 PM   #13
Snargash Moonclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
"Yet it was your mother than I milked last night."
"No, actually it wasn't. And I must say, your technique could use a lot more practice."

Old 12-09-2011, 09:01 PM   #14
Gef

Yes, rapier wit is awesome, especially with Words of Power (+100%) and Reliable (+50%) - you stun a whole group at one time. Throw out the special effect and treat it as a sound-based superpower, and it punches above its weight in points, but I think you gamed it correctly as a free action. As a Word of Power, sonic stunner, or even as a snappy comeback or zinger, maybe a derogatory nickname the subject hasn't heard since gradeschool, then it makes sense as a free action. Otherwise, I'd think it'd take some kind of setup. How fast can you actually hurl an insult? "You fight like a dairy farmer!" takes me about a second.

GEF
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:01 PM   #15
Snargash Moonclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_gudman View Post
More than that actually "This advantage is usually only appropriate in a silly campaign!" (italics author's, B79 - last line of the Advantage description.)

Old 12-09-2011, 09:16 PM   #16
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snargash Moonclaw View Post
More than that actually "This advantage is usually only appropriate in a silly campaign!" (italics author's, B79 - last line of the Advantage description.)
Once you tack on Words of Power, it's actually appropriate for quite a few campaigns that aren't silly.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:48 PM   #17
Purple Haze

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_gudman View Post

I mean, if you're using it against a mook, then maybe you could get to use-as-written (but, y u not shoot mook???), but against a serious character?

Maybe you could make somebody really angry, but if it's game effect, that's more like, "Affliction (causes Disadvantage: Berserk; limitations: sound-based, must share language)" or something. If it's something like mind-games that grind away at the opponent's confidence, than that's full-blown Fast-Talk with relevant modifiers for what's going on in the combat (you Feint successfully etc)--and it takes Fast-Talk amounts of time, ie, not a free action.

Or maybe you could have the training to have two fights at once--swords and debating--and your objective is to split the opponent's attention so they get distracted and present an opening.

I guess the thing is, I'm trying to imagine like two boxers in a punch-up, and I cannot imagine anything one boxer could just say that would be so shocking or clever that the other boxer would be mentally stunned. Not just professionals, but even two high-school boxers or something.

Any situation that's deadly serious--like a sword fight--I'd give hefty bonuses for a character having the perspective to realize that words don't stab people, swords stab people, and prioritizing their attentions accordingly.

Anyway, if a player brought a character like this to the game, then first I would ponder that realistic-vs-cinematic thing, and if I decided it fit, than I would probably be with the "once per person per encounter" thing; and I would allow the mooks to (take a free action to) shout "Don't let 'em get to ya Jerry thar tryin' to rattle yer cage!" to give each other bonuses once it became clear what was going on, so it might be at the level of a "once per encounter" thing.
NFL, NBA, and MLB use it on each other frequently. Sometimes to great effect.
Purple Haze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:30 PM   #18
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gef View Post
"You fight like a dairy farmer!" takes me about a second.
Which is (amazing coincidence!) how long it takes to perform a full combat action. And, forgive me my critical judgment, monsieur, but I regret to note that your exemplary insult lacks that certain je ne sais quoi that is required for the true slackjawed amazement that grants the advantage to a foe. No doubt the fault is purely that you supposed such rhetoric could be delivered in haste and did not take the time to mobilize your surely formidable powers of sarcasm.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 12:36 AM   #19
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Which is (amazing coincidence!) how long it takes to perform a full combat action. And, forgive me my critical judgment, monsieur, but I regret to note that your exemplary insult lacks that certain je ne sais quoi that is required for the true slackjawed amazement that grants the advantage to a foe. No doubt the fault is purely that you supposed such rhetoric could be delivered in haste and did not take the time to mobilize your surely formidable powers of sarcasm.

Bill Stoddard
Which was about 4 seconds
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 12:48 AM   #20
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Which was about 4 seconds
Indeed, but I myself am not blessed with Rapier Wit. Were it otherwise I would not go on at such length.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
powers, rules question, social interaction