Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 06-24-2009, 08:26 PM   #31
capnq

Default Re: Survey (Scouts) campaign difficulties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
I think I'll have a crack at running this campaign by VOIP (using Skype), as one of two monthly campaigns I intend to start in August.

Owing to time zone issues, I intend to run one campaign at about 09:00–13:00 GMT on a Sunday for the convenience of players in Europe, and one at about 22:00–02:00 GMT for the convenience of players in the USA. Details are not yet settled.
Your time zone situation reminded me that there were at least two Star Trek: The Next Generation episodes ("Thine Own Self" is the one I specifically remember watching) that take place during the "night shift" on the Enterprise. Perhaps you can use that concept somehow in your campaign.

When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. -- Mark Twain
capnq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 12:05 AM   #32
David Johnston2

Default Re: Survey (Scouts) campaign difficulties

Well there are two problems here. The first is that players keep wanting to play funky unconventional characters. A better answer may be to open Survey recruiting up a bit as opposed to juggling 4 different character groups.

The second is that people lose interest in immediate problems that are the outgrowth of insoluble cultural issues. Well, yeah. If you pull that widow off the pyre, she doesn't stop being a widow in a culture that has no place for widows. Unless you have the authority to offer her a lift somewhere else, she's just toast as soon as you leave. At which point the smell of burnt widow in the morning just becomes part of the rich tapestry of a foreign culture and none of your business. Might as well make your report and move on.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flat black, prospectus, sci-fi, troupe style