Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2012, 03:15 PM   #31
Ulzgoroth
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Default Re: [Build Advice] Model Anaerobic/Aerboic Breathing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
Yep.

The stuff I'm reading tells me that most/all of the anaerobic methods generate 2 ATP per, while the aerobic method generates 30/ish ATP per (theoretically up to 38 ATP though nothing on Earth does that level of efficiency). Aerobic is up to 15 times more efficient than Anaerobic.
The key thing here is that anaerobic metabolism does not usually produce free oxygen. That's what makes your case really bizarre.
__________________
I don't know any 3e, so there is no chance that I am talking about 3e rules by accident.
Ulzgoroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:13 PM   #32
Sunrunners_Fire
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Default Re: [Build Advice] Model Anaerobic/Aerboic Breathing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
The key thing here is that anaerobic metabolism does not usually produce free oxygen. That's what makes your case really bizarre.
:nods:

Its' an idea and one that I wasn't sure how to model and so I asked how the hivemind would do it. I may end up discarding that portion depending on what I do with the other bits and bobs and details. I don't have to finalize anything until mid-/late- August ... and so I'm in no rush.

For modeling purposes, I'm going with: Doesn't Breathe (Temporary Advantage (Modified Create Oxygen 1/18*), +10%; Gills, -50%; Temporary Disadvantage (Increased Consumption 4), -40%) [4] ... for the moment. Gills being re-fluffed as "requires atmospheric carbon dioxide; can breathe atmospheric oxygen" rather than "requires dissolved oxygen in a water medium; can breathe atmospheric oxygen".


* Create Oxygen 1/18 (Always On, +0%; No Die Roll Required, +100%; Reduced Fatigue Cost 2, +40%; Reduced Time 1, +20%; Stable Creation, +100%) [1] ... 1/18 means it produces 3.8~ mol, which is likely way too much but its' going to cost [1] and so +10% regardless as costs always round up and so the exact level is something I can assign later once I decide what their tidal volume is.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:19 PM   #33
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants
 
sir_pudding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ventura CA
Default Re: [Build Advice] Model Anaerobic/Aerboic Breathing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
Temporary Advantage
Where does this come from?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:25 PM   #34
Sunrunners_Fire
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Default Re: [Build Advice] Model Anaerobic/Aerboic Breathing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Where does this come from?
Its' not a RAW modifier. I model it off the Advantage modifier for Affliction, following the example of the general Temporary Disadvantage modifier and its' similarity to the Disadvantage modifier for Affliction.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:45 PM   #35
Langy
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: CA
Default Re: [Build Advice] Model Anaerobic/Aerboic Breathing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
Its' not a RAW modifier. I model it off the Advantage modifier for Affliction, following the example of the general Temporary Disadvantage modifier and its' similarity to the Disadvantage modifier for Affliction.
It shouldn't be the same price as the Advantage modifier for Affliction; it should be half that price, because the Affliction modifier is such that you basically pay full price for the advantage (+10% per 1 point for a 10-point advantage is the same as just +1 point) and Doesn't Breath is naturally twice as expensive as Affliction (+10% per 1 point for a 20 point advantage is the same as just +2 points).

The 'proper' method of doing it would be to purchase the actual advantage and modify it appropriately so it's reflexive, free, doesn't require a roll, and only available under very specific conditions.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:11 AM   #36
Sunrunners_Fire
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Default Re: [Build Advice] Model Anaerobic/Aerboic Breathing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
It shouldn't be the same price as the Advantage modifier for Affliction; it should be half that price, because the Affliction modifier is such that you basically pay full price for the advantage (+10% per 1 point for a 10-point advantage is the same as just +1 point) and Doesn't Breath is naturally twice as expensive as Affliction (+10% per 1 point for a 20 point advantage is the same as just +2 points).

The 'proper' method of doing it would be to purchase the actual advantage and modify it appropriately so it's reflexive, free, doesn't require a roll, and only available under very specific conditions.
Heh.

Mnemi Respiration [5]
  • Doesn't Breathe [4]
    Modifiers: Gills*, -50%; Temporary Disadvantage (Increased Consumption 4), -40%
  • Create Oxygen 1/18** [1]
    • Create Oxygen 1 [17.5; rounded up to 18]
      Modifiers: Always On, +0%; No Die Roll Required, +100%; Reduced Fatigue Cost 2, +40%; Reduced Time 1, +20%; Stable Creation**, +100%; Accessibility (Only when using Doesn't Breathe), -10%

* Re-Fluffed
** Not RAW
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:24 PM   #37
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants
 
sir_pudding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ventura CA
Default Re: [Build Advice] Model Anaerobic/Aerboic Breathing?

I'm still trying to understand the chemistry. I can't even figure out an overall balance equation for this.

CO2+C6H6O6->??? +O2
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:33 PM   #38
Anthony
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Berkeley, CA
Default Re: [Build Advice] Model Anaerobic/Aerboic Breathing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I'm still trying to understand the chemistry. I can't even figure out an overall balance equation for this.
Just assume that energy is produced in an anaerobic reaction involving CO2, and some of that energy is inexplicably used to produce oxygen.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:49 PM   #39
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants
 
sir_pudding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ventura CA
Default Re: [Build Advice] Model Anaerobic/Aerboic Breathing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Just assume that energy is produced in an anaerobic reaction involving CO2, and some of that energy is inexplicably used to produce oxygen.
Why does it have to produce oxygen?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:56 PM   #40
Ulzgoroth
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Default Re: [Build Advice] Model Anaerobic/Aerboic Breathing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Why does it have to produce oxygen?
Because the setting writer said so, apparently.
__________________
I don't know any 3e, so there is no chance that I am talking about 3e rules by accident.
Ulzgoroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
alien, aliens, anaerobic, build advice, doesn't breathe, increased consumption

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.