Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 01-11-2011, 04:25 PM   #1
Michiel

Default Can I decide at any time not to fight a monster?

If I would meet a level 20 platinum dragon for instance while I'm level 1, but I have enough equipment and buffs to be level 21 I could beat the dragon and so I decide to.
Now at 2.5 seconds someone screams *slow-mo low voice*NOOOOOOO! and buffs the dragon to, say, level 25.
Can I change my mind and walk away at that last moment?

I know you can choose at any time not to fight in case of the stoned gollem, but the text is different from the "will not pursue" monsters
Michiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:30 PM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Can I decide at any time not to fight a monster?

If you aren't winning outright, then yes, you may decide not to use all your options and try to Run Away instead.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:33 PM   #3
snarky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiel View Post
If I would meet a level 20 platinum dragon for instance while I'm level 1, but I have enough equipment and buffs to be level 21 I could beat the dragon and so I decide to.
Now at 2.5 seconds someone screams *slow-mo low voice*NOOOOOOO! and buffs the dragon to, say, level 25.
Can I change my mind and walk away at that last moment?

I know you can choose at any time not to fight in case of the stoned gollem, but the text is different from the "will not pursue" monsters
At that point, you're no longer capable of beating the monster, so you have to run away, ask for help, or play additional cards to defeat it. You're not deciding not to fight it...the circumstances have changed, and you have the same choices as the beginning of the combat.

If you choose to run, all the cards you played are discarded, and you get to roll to see if Bad Stuff happens (or, in the case of the PD, he just ignores you and you go about your merry way).
snarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:49 PM   #4
Michiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
If you aren't winning outright, then yes, you may decide not to use all your options and try to Run Away instead.
In this case I wouldn't have to run away because he will not pursue me anyway right?
Michiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:55 PM   #5
snarky

Correct, you choose to run away, and the PD ignores you, so you don't need to roll for Bad Stuff.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:56 PM   #6
MunchkinMan

Quote:
In this case I wouldn't have to run away because he will not pursue me anyway right?
Not quite: You have to Run Away, but you won't get caught. Big difference.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:48 PM   #7
fuelstaind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
So does this mean that if you used a couple one shots, they can be returned? Another question, at what point does a one shot item become used? I mean, if you are looking through your items and say; "If I use these items, I will have a combat strength of 21 and be able to beat the Plutonium Dragon." Does that mean they are used? And then if, as the original poster stated, some plays a monster enhancer that no longer allows you to beat the monster, do you lose your one shots?
fuelstaind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:05 PM   #8
Kirt

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
Not quite: You have to Run Away, but you won't get caught. Big difference.
Michiel, the difference is important because there are cards that can target you while you are running away. Things like, "the munchkin must re-roll his attempt to run away, even if the first attempt was automatically successful."

So you do have to Run Away from the PD, even if he does not chase you.
Because another munchkin might have something that would make the PD change his mind.
Kirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:11 PM   #9
Kirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuelstaind View Post
So does this mean that if you used a couple one shots, they can be returned?
No. If you added them to the combat, they are used.

Quote:
Another question, at what point does a one shot item become used? I mean, if you are looking through your items and say; "If I use these items, I will have a combat strength of 21 and be able to beat the Plutonium Dragon." Does that mean they are used? And then if, as the original poster stated, some plays a monster enhancer that no longer allows you to beat the monster, do you lose your one shots?
You can say, "If I used these, I WOULD beat the monster," without actually using and losing them. But you are not winning until you actually do use them. So your sensible munchkin opponents will wait until you actually use them before playing their monster enhancers - if you are all talk and no action, you are still losing without them having to play any cards of their own.
Kirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:14 AM   #10
snarky

Quote:
So does this mean that if you used a couple one shots, they can be returned? Another question, at what point does a one shot item become used? I mean, if you are looking through your items and say; "If I use these items, I will have a combat strength of 21 and be able to beat the Plutonium Dragon." Does that mean they are used? And then if, as the original poster stated, some plays a monster enhancer that no longer allows you to beat the monster, do you lose your one shots?
The cards are "used" when they are played to the table during combat. It's one thing to say "if I used these, I would beat the monster" and "I'm using these to beat the monster; my combat strength is now X and I am winning."

We put combat modifiers in the center of the table when they're used, so there's no question whether they're "in play" or not.

Tags
combat, pursue, run away