Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-29-2019, 10:53 AM   #11
Culture20

Default Re: Stat this crossbow please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
I can find no indication online that it gets power from anywhere other than the user
Ah, it appears to be a winch. I thought since it was integrated into the stock and it mentioned the index finger that it was electric.
https://www.tenpointcrossbows.com/shop/ACUdraw-P23.aspx
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 11:14 AM   #12
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
Ah, it appears to be a winch. I thought since it was integrated into the stock and it mentioned the index finger that it was electric.
https://www.tenpointcrossbows.com/shop/ACUdraw-P23.aspx
Interesting. Would it be fair to say (ignoring time to attach/detach, if necessary) such a device allows you to draw a compatible crossbow in (draw weight)/(BL) seconds? So, the Nitro XRT (225 lb draw) would take a little over 11 seconds for a character with ST 10, around 8 seconds for someone with ST 12, or around 17.5 seconds for someone with ST 8?
Old 09-29-2019, 12:49 PM   #13
bert

Quote:
Again, no access to the article currently, but based off the numbers you gave in your post, 259 J would be 10.18 (2d+3, or round up to 3d) on the realistic scale, or 12.21 (3d+2) on the cinematic scale.
Quick question - where did you get 259 J? 166 lb ft translates to 225 J; one pound is 454g (0.454kg), a foot is .3048m, and there is ca 9.81N per kg, so unit conversion would be a factor 1.357, which gives 166*0.454*0.3048*9.81 = 166*1.357 = 225.
bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 01:36 PM   #14
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert View Post
Quick question - where did you get 259 J? 166 lb ft translates to 225 J; one pound is 454g (0.454kg), a foot is .3048m, and there is ca 9.81N per kg, so unit conversion would be a factor 1.357, which gives 166*0.454*0.3048*9.81 = 166*1.357 = 225.
166 ft lb is for the Nitro X, the Nitro XRT, which I was referring to, outputs up to 191 ft lb, which Google tells me is around 259 J.
Old 09-30-2019, 12:20 AM   #15
bert

Quote:
166 ft lb is for the Nitro X, the Nitro XRT, which I was referring to, outputs up to 191 ft lb, which Google tells me is around 259 J.
Aaaah! Thanks. Google is correct. =)
bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 10:14 AM   #16
Lameth

Ok I am a little confused on an issue. First, thank you for the help.

The PC has a striking st of 17, and per various others, when you figure out the st of a person with a weapon, its always striking st. Then the book says you can have up to +4 ST before its harder to cock due to the help of the pullies and tech I think, per ghostdancer.

So the PC had the bow tensioned for his ST +4. So would this not make the bow a damage of ST 21, imp? It says a Acc 4 in the book is standard, and I thought this bow was good enough to have a +1 quality, so a 5 acc. The scope i gave a +2 acc when used.

As a side note, issue he then has heroic archer (crossbow) and Rapid Reload (crossbow).

Last edited by Lameth; 09-30-2019 at 10:26 AM.
Lameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 10:43 AM   #17
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lameth View Post
Ok I am a little confused on an issue. First, thank you for the help.

The PC has a striking st of 17, and per various others, when you figure out the st of a person with a weapon, its always striking st.
Crossbows are the exception to that rule. You use Lifting ST because of that weapon's slow cocking proceedure. You do use Striking ST for all other weapons that come to my mind right now.

This confusion is but one of the reasons I would heavily limit the purchase of Lift or Stike ST in any game I ran.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:50 AM   #18
Lameth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Crossbows are the exception to that rule. You use Lifting ST because of that weapon's slow cocking proceedure. You do use Striking ST for all other weapons that come to my mind right now.

This confusion is but one of the reasons I would heavily limit the purchase of Lift or Stike ST in any game I ran.
ok but besides that, is that correct? Should the bow be a ST 21? I am seeing people stating bows at a 10, but that is for that persons st.
Lameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 11:02 AM   #19
Varyon

Quote:
ok but besides that, is that correct? Should the bow be a ST 21? I am seeing people stating bows at a 10, but that is for that persons st.
A bow has to be made for the ST that uses it - note the Nitro X (ST 11) and Nitro XRT (ST 12) are actually different models, although now that I look more closely, they have exactly the same weights and dimensions and only a $50 price difference, so it’s possible the latter is just the former readjusted for a higher ST and with a different paint job. So, the character could probably buy either, and maybe adjust it for a higher ST (although this may require more precision than a typical compound crossbow), but a full +10 ST isn’t realistic. It may be ok in a cinematic campaign, of course.
Old 09-30-2019, 11:03 AM   #20
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Assuming the right kind of ST is applied and a crossbow of that ST is acquired through special order that would be correct.

People are using 10 for mass produced crossbows that you could buy off the shelf.