Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 08-05-2021, 06:51 PM   #1
Michael Thayne

Default List of sources with DFRPG (*not* GURPS DF) monsters

I've decided to try to compile a list of sources with monsters for DFRPG—not GURPS Dungeon Fantasy, because the wiki already seems to have that covered. I'm interested not just in works published by SJGames, but also third-party publishers like Gaming Ballistic. However, I don't own all the Nordlond books, and might be forgetting some minor sources, so I'd very much like people's help. Here's what I've got so far:
  • Dungeon Fantasy Monsters and Dungeon Fantasy Monsters 2, obviously.
  • Dungeon Fantasy Companion: Astucum, Centaur, Elastoid, Harpy, Osisizo, and Warhog, conveniently in a single section on pp. 21-33.
  • Dungeon Fantasy Dungeon (a.k.a. "I Smell a Rat") isn't too exciting on this front but does have Smugglers (p. 9), Zombie Gang Members (p. 12), and the Husk of Merle (p. 17)
  • Against the Rat-Men: Rat-Men (pp. 4-5) and various varieties thereof (pp. 6-7 and 10-12), Swamp Ghouls (p. 14), and Eldritch Tentacles (p. 19).
  • EDIT: bonus monsters for the original kickstarter, namely the Squirrel-pion and the Fae Reaver (sadly the PDF for the latter seems to have disappeared from the internet, does anyone have it?)
Every Nordlond book I own has a "bestiary" section, though many of those are heavy on specific NPCs rather than generic monsters. I may write them up in greater detail later.

Last edited by Michael Thayne; 08-05-2021 at 07:35 PM.
Michael Thayne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 07:35 PM   #2
Michael Thayne

Default Re: List of sources with DFRPG (*not* GURPS DF) monsters

Added a bullet on the bonus monsters from the original Kickstarter—but does anyone have the Fae Reaver PDF?
Old 08-05-2021, 09:29 PM   #3
Rasputin

Long since done. And yes, I have the fae reaver JPG.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 08:43 AM   #4
Michael Thayne

Do you think you could, say, send me a link to the Fae Reaver via PM, if you're not comfortable posting here?
Old 08-06-2021, 10:00 AM   #5
Michael Thayne

Also: looks like in terms of DFRPG specifically, the Nordlond books with monsters are: Citadel at Nordvorn, Dragons of Rosgarth, Forest's End, Hall of Judgement, and Nordlond Folk. The Pyramid issues are mainly #3/106 and #3/108, though there's also the Bloody Cottontail in the Designer's Notes article in #3/113. Okay, thanks a lot!
Old 08-06-2021, 11:24 AM   #6
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
Also: looks like in terms of DFRPG specifically, the Nordlond books with monsters are: Citadel at Nordvorn, Dragons of Rosgarth, Forest's End, Hall of Judgement, and Nordlond Folk. The Pyramid issues are mainly #3/106 and #3/108, though there's also the Bloody Cottontail in the Designer's Notes article in #3/113. Okay, thanks a lot!
While they are not "monsters," you can pull together very competent humanoid bad guys by combining the racial templates from Nordlondr Folk with the build-a-Björn system from Delvers to Grow.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 09:43 PM   #7
SQRadio

Is there a monsters book that explains how to pick the right monsters for the party?
SQRadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 03:15 PM   #8
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQRadio View Post
Is there a monsters book that explains how to pick the right monsters for the party?
I was momentarily surprised that nobody had touted How to Be a GURPS GM: Combat Encounters in response to your question, but I see that it is not yet available for general purchase. It was produced in July and was available as a promo item during a sale and as an add-on for the summer kickstarter.

Although it is aimed at GURPS more broadly (not just DF or DFRPG), most of its guidance is applicable to any genre. Keep an eye out for it—hopefully it will appear in Warehouse23 soon!
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote