Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 08-03-2021, 11:29 PM   #1
b-dog

Default Big time magic with scrolls

I was thinking of how to put some D&D magic into the DF game. I don’t mind the DF magic system for most things but occasionally it would be nice to have some game changing magic like in D&D. For this I think that some sort of scroll or memorized spell that becomes erased after being fast might work out well. Plus it would be cool to find spell books or scrolls in a dungeon too. With this idea you can have the Wizard be the badass he is supposed to be. For most of the time the wizard uses his regular magic to do routine tasks but when he wants to takedown a demon or dragon he can use a scroll or a memorized spell that has all the fatigue built in already to cast a monster spell that does serious damage.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 08:19 AM   #2
Polkageist

Default Re: Big time magic with scrolls

I'd look at Magic Items 2 for inspiration for incredible magical effects, some of the artifacts in there can be a massive shift in power for a PC to get their hands on. That'll give you a point of reference for building your own powerful items.
Polkageist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 07:51 PM   #3
tbone

Default Re: Big time magic with scrolls

If it's scrolls you're looking for, get GURPS Magic Artillery Spells and Death Spells, and hand the PCs some of those spells in the form of fully charged scrolls, one-shot magic items, etc. I'm sure most can be dropped into a DFRPG game with little or no modification.

A nice Cloud of Doom, Punishment Circle, or dozens more choices will definitely give the wizard a chance to take down a demon or a room of foes.

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote