Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-28-2019, 11:19 PM   #1
Lameth

Default Stat this crossbow please

Can someone help in this

https://www.cabelas.com/product/TenP...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Lameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 12:35 AM   #2
bert

Default Re: Stat this crossbow please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lameth View Post
I would treat this as a crossbow (B276), which then get +2 damage due to compound construction. The ST rating is unclear but if the average man can cock it give it ST10. That would mean 1d+4 imp.
bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 06:50 AM   #3
Culture20

Looks like it uses an electric motor assist to draw the string back. I thought the fps/ft-lbs was a misprint at first.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 08:28 AM   #4
bert

166 lb ft is approx 225 J, which would give an average damage of sqrt(225/2.5) = 9.5, according to The Deadly Spring in Pyramid #3/33. That would in turn mean something like 2d+2 imp. This is not significantly higher than what I stated in the previous post (avg 9 vs 8.5). However, this is using the realistic option in the article... the cinematic option would mean an avg damage of 11.3.
Old 09-29-2019, 09:07 AM   #5
Varyon

I can find no indication online that it gets power from anywhere other than the user - the Sling Shot system apparently does some weird string-catching trick that, through some manner of Most Foul Sorcery (probably just conserving some of the energy you put in and outputting it more efficiently), manages to eek out a whole additional +2.5% to speed (+5% to KE). I can’t access my Deadly Spring pdf currently, but I did find a note that it had a 10 lb draw, which may be usable to work out MinST (although that sounds so low either they’re measuring things differently or MinST for drawing is so low the weight of the weapon itself will be the limiting factor). There’s a big deal made out of it being quiet as well - I think HT and/or Enhanced Senses has a Hearing Table with a crossbow entry; treat as 1 step quieter (which I think is the same effect you get with aftermarket string silencers), or 2 steps if you buy the hype. A big deal is also made of its accuracy; treat as Fine (Accurate), or maybe even Very Fine (Accurate).

Looking at the specs on the official website, the arrows that can get to the 166 ft lb energy are heavier and slower than the 440 fps arrows. Note there’s also a more powerful variant, the Nitro XRT, which actually gives a draw weight (225 lb) and can manage 191 ft lb (259 J) with the heavier arrows.
Old 09-29-2019, 09:22 AM   #6
bert

Varyon, note that if you have the kinetic energy, you can calculate damage directly as per Doug`s article. Maybe we could then use the draw weight to calculate the ST rating. The deadly spring says that BLx8 can be used as maximum draw weight. With 225 lbs we would get ST 11.8.
Old 09-29-2019, 09:26 AM   #7
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert View Post
I would treat this as a crossbow (B276), which then get +2 damage due to compound construction.
Note that Compound Crossbows are in HT p.201. Their effect is as for Compund Bows which is a +2 ST for both range and damage. That only gives you +1 Thrusting damage.

It could be for a ST 1 or 2 higher than the user's trading cocking time for another pt of damage.

The gripping hand is this "Sling Shot" tech. If that delivers an honest 440 fps that's higher than anything I've ever heard about and probably double the velocity of a TL2-3 crossbow. 2x velocity would mean 2x damage with another +1 for TL8 arrowheads.
Old 09-29-2019, 09:27 AM   #8
bert

Incidentally, the TL8 crossbow in the deadly spring is rated at 2d+1 imp, ST11, draw weight 175 lbs.
Old 09-29-2019, 09:30 AM   #9
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Note that Compound Crossbows are in HT p.201. Their effect is as for Compund Bows which is a +2 ST for both range and damage. That only gives you +1 Thrusting damage.
Oh - I did look in HT p201 but maybe I misunderstood the rules. Thanks.
Old 09-29-2019, 10:06 AM   #10
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert View Post
Varyon, note that if you have the kinetic energy, you can calculate damage directly as per Doug`s article. Maybe we could then use the draw weight to calculate the ST rating. The deadly spring says that BLx8 can be used as maximum draw weight. With 225 lbs we would get ST 11.8.
Again, no access to the article currently, but based off the numbers you gave in your post, 259 J would be 10.18 (2d+3, or round up to 3d) on the realistic scale, or 12.21 (3d+2) on the cinematic scale. In either case, roughly +1 damage compared to the Nitro X (note 9.5 is probably better represented by 3d-1 than 2d+2), so with the Nitro XRT being MinST 12, the Nitro X could be MinST 10 or 11. I’d lean more toward 11, putting the new design at the same MinST and +1 damage relative to the compound crossbow you referenced from the article (assuming that 2d+1 was on the realistic scale; if that was on the cinematic scale, these crossbows are a significant improvement, at roughly +1d).