Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 01-07-2011, 10:38 AM   #281
Rev1L

Default Re: Multi-Door new way to play

Your idea sounds interesting at least. I my try it sometime.

I've thought about pulling the monsters out (and some curses) and creating a separate "monster" deck like in Munchkin Quest to guarantee that you get a monster. I don't know how many times I've had someone in my games go several turns with no monster, so no level, no treasure etc...
Rev1L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:43 AM   #282
krspond

Sounds cool. A similar idea may be to separate the monsters and stack them in the deck in increasing difficulty. So, when you start, the monsters are easier, and they get increasingly difficult as you progress. It would be like a video game.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:53 AM   #283
shorinjiru

Great idea krspond! But then if you power up quick, or lose levels later... it might feel unbalanced or at some point, impossible!

Still, worth trying.
shorinjiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:54 PM   #284
JMWelch

Default Re: Member House Rules

When I was first introduced to Munchkin, the 'Charity' phase didn't work like the rules indicate (the house rule had become so common for them that they didn't even think to explain the difference).

Basically, the normal cards-in-your-hand limit of 5 (6 for dwarves, etc) applied, but it wasn't paid the same amount of attention as kicking down the door or combat. Therefore, if you had too many cards and didn't discard, but nobody caught you, carry on, my munchkinly son.

Since then, I've started enforcing Charity, since I much prefer the official ruling on that, but I found their tacit house rule interesting.
JMWelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:33 AM   #285
Rudkin

I'm debating making a couple of adjustments to the Brain class (Super Munchkin) and the Bug race (Star Munchkin).

Brain: As it stands, it's just a "nothing has a bonus against the Brain class", but the catch is that with the change to Super Munchkin (the card) you can now get the benefit of the Brain without actually playing it. It's now, virtually, a useless class.

I was playing Super Munchkin a bit before New Year's, introducing it to a couple of friends, and when the Brain class appeared I thought that the first line could be read as "No monsters get a bonus against any [member of] the Brain class". This would mean that if a monster was +4 against Males and I was a Brain, the +4 would not apply against me. The same would be said for any bonuses for class, race (in Blender), sex, wearing a hat, whatever. If the monster is Level X with +y against something, the Brain would ignore the +y entirely. The implication of the Brain card as it is suggests also the ability to ignore Run Away penalites and the like, but it may be reasonable to restrict it to just Combat modifiers.

...the question is, would the +y suddenly apply if a non-brain helper arrived. I'm thinking that it would have to apply, just as if a +4 against Males monster was fighting a Female who got the aid of a Male. Dare I say, it's a No-Brainer?

~~~~~~~

Bug: I was thinking about the Bug the other day and couldn't remember exactly what it did. I forgot that you had to discard 2 cards for its ability. As it is... it's not so great. But what if you could just TAKE the card without needing to discard? It would make it one of the only races/classes/etc. where you could GAIN cards. Suddenly the Bug sounded a lot more appealing.

The catch: what if there are multiple bugs? Well, I'd probably treat it like the Epic Techno and just roll off for it. Barring that, the highest level Bug gets it. But probably just a roll off would do.

The other catch: Bugs could discard the same class or race card to just keep stealing, or powering class abilities. Perhaps adding "a Bug cannot take a race or class card that he discarded from the discard pile"? It helps to prevent the Bug from essentially having an infinite hand size for the purposes of discarding cards, but allows Bugs to be at least somewhat useful.

~~~~~~~~~

The only problem I'm having is figuring out how to re-word the cards so that they will be brief, but will say what I want them to say. (As is apparent from my posts, brevity is perhaps not my forte.)

Perhaps:

Brain: I know everything: A Brain may ignore any bonuses that monsters have against his class(es) and sex.*

*In Blender games, Brains may also ignore bonuses against his Race, Accent, and Loyalty.

Bug: Bugs are highly adaptable and master scavengers. Any time another player discards a race or class card, you may immediately grab the discard. If there are several bugs, roll off to decide who gets the card.

~~~~~~
I shall have to playtest these, but I think they show some promise.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:54 AM   #286
krspond

It can be strange, but what we've experienced is that it helps us get through a game rather quickly on a pretty consistent basis. The tendency is that you can defeat most monsters fairly early in the game, beefing up your treasure status quickly. So, even when you lose your enhancers, you are pretty well off. But, there are always those games that things just don't work out very well for some poor Munchkin.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:20 PM   #287
thedag

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunaja View Post
I don't know if anyone is still reading this massive thread but I'll volunteer my house rules:

Once someone is fighting a monster and declares the score, we start a 10-second clock. Any time a card is played to alter the score, the clock resets. When 10 seconds of a consistent, winning score passes, the player or players have won the combat. Or all players can say "good by me" and skip the count.

If the score was not declared correctly, the time can be reset if necessary with the real score declared (and under some conditions, cards played may be returned.)

This is particularly good if there is a player in your group who is not a native English speaker. Although we've been doing this for years and are considering lowering the clock to 7 seconds; there seems to be too many times when someone is using the extra time to debate whether or not to play the card instead of the more fun "knee-jerk" reaction.

It should be noted that there is no clock when a player attempts to gain the winning level -- all opponents must concede.
I do like the sound of this. I sometimes get frustrated with the delay experienced players make in playing cards. My personal view on the 2.6 seconds rule is that basically you should be aware of what cards you have in your hand (maximum of 5 or 6 if a dwarf so it ain't hard). Then you choose to play it or not. Simple. Of course if someone plays something before you then keep your card unless needed!
thedag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:46 PM   #288
Arukoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedag View Post
I do like the sound of this. I sometimes get frustrated with the delay experienced players make in playing cards. My personal view on the 2.6 seconds rule is that basically you should be aware of what cards you have in your hand (maximum of 5 or 6 if a dwarf so it ain't hard). Then you choose to play it or not. Simple. Of course if someone plays something before you then keep your card unless needed!
Note that an epic or a jr. epic dwarf have unlimited cards in their hand
Old 01-19-2011, 06:13 AM   #289
thedag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arukoto View Post
Note that an epic or a jr. epic dwarf have unlimited cards in their hand
ah ok. The people I play with aren't interested in epic games
thedag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:43 AM   #290
Trsevener

We were playing a game of Munchkin Booty last night. One player had the Ram and the Outboard Motor on his Ship. Here is what we came up with as a possible house rule.

When you have the Ram / Outboard Motor combination on the same ship, you can use the Outboard Motor to obtaining "Ramming Speed!" If you choose to use the Outboard Motor for "Ramming Speed" you would gain a +2 in combat strength but you would lose the +2 to run away. You are now charging headfirst into the battle after all.

Indiana MIB available for demos and tournaments. Please check out my Facebook page to see what I am up to.
Trsevener is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combining different, doors, dummy hand, epic, extras, funny, gambling, gameplay, house rules, multi-deck, munchkin, munchkin zombies, new way to play, rules, rules variant, team, teams, two player, zombie dice