Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-23-2023, 02:29 PM   #1
darebear

Default My Hex maps of Ytarria

I am a big fan of Yrth. But the lack of hex maps (or good maps of any kind) was always a downer. I present these for your viewing pleasure. Map scale is 24 mile per hex.

Each hex is 500 square miles. When you look at Ytarria like that is it absolutely huge. There is room for innumerable lost cities, lost civilizations, etc. Most of the continent is basically uninhabited.

https://darebearsminiemporium.blogsp...f-ytarria.html

Last edited by darebear; 01-23-2023 at 05:52 PM.
darebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 03:32 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: My Hex maps of Ytarria

Looks nice.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 04:17 PM   #3
Rolando

these looks great!
Rolando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 08:02 PM   #4
cupbearer

Hi

Those look great!
Old 01-24-2023, 04:57 AM   #5
darebear

Hexcrawling is still a thing in fantasy rpgs apparently. Maps like this make that process a lot easier. 24 mile hexes break down nicely into 6 mile hexes. There are lots of blank map templates out there for that.

Anyway, most of the continent had enormous potential. Cardiel has large areas which would be sparsely populated at best. Add some forests, hills and valleys and there would be lots of areas which could be used for exploration or dungeon adventures.

Zarak would actually be made up of several different mountain chains, separated by valleys and lakes. Similar to Norwold in D&D’s world of Mystara. Lots of potential there for exploration and slaying monstrous hordes.

Inkarnate is decent mapping software. Would be easy enough to drop the file in there and add terrain features.
darebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 06:05 AM   #6
Pursuivant

Thanks for doing this.

Unfortunately, your map with "terrain" is a bit misleading, although still extremely useful. It includes major roads and hydrological features but not other types of physical terrain, such as mountain ranges or forests, which were present in the original color maps.

As you said, however, that would be an easy addition with any graphics or mapping software.

As a hexcrawl idea, the thing I've always thought was coolest about the Ytarria maps was all those obvious meteor crater impact sites. I count at least 5, possibly as many as 10 Chicxulub-sized or larger craters around the coasts. If the inland areas got hit just as badly, a number of the lakes depicted on the map might actually be craters. In geologically active areas, a massive meteor strike might produce the same volcanic effects as you see in Iceland or Yellowstone making for very interesting adventuring terrain (geysers, hot springs, boiling mud, possibly earthquakes and volcanic eruptions).

Deep slopes within an impact crater might act as fences to contain unique "local wildlife" (read: ravening monsters) as well as being a source of valuable gems.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 07:19 AM   #7
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
all those obvious meteor crater impact sites
Those Megalosian magical experiments don't always turn out well, especially when they're inventing weapons of war. Use Threshold Magic in the campaign and see if you can go for a new site.

Or someone in the past just disliked them (hard as that is to imagine).
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 10:10 AM   #8
Pursuivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Those Megalosian magical experiments don't always turn out well, especially when they're inventing weapons of war.
:)

Actually the Megalosians get a pass in this instance. The fluff text for Banestorm describes Ytarria's divergence point from Homeline as millions of years in the past when the Earth got bombarded with mana-rich asteroids. Presumably, that did in the dinosaurs, as well as much of the marine life, except for mana-mutated survivors like dragons and sea monsters.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 10:33 AM   #9
SID

Great stuff, thanks!
Old 01-24-2023, 10:55 AM   #10
apoc527

This is incredibly helpful as I kick off my latest Banestorm game! Thank you so much for sharing.

Currently Playing: GURPS Banestorm: The Symmetry of Darkness

Inactive:
Star*Drive: 2525-Hunting for Fun and Profit
My THS Campaign-In the Shadows of Venus
Yrth--The Legend Begins
The XCOM Apocalypse
apoc527 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
banestorm, maps, ytarria