Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:15 AM   #11
smathers

Default Re: Empty Green Hex Map with Overlays

I, for one, would love to hear some ideas on how people are using the overlays. I've played around with them a little adding some variety to the standard maps, but there are some overlay pieces (like the borders that fit along the sides of a hex) that I'm not quite sure how to use.

Pictures of maps with overlays would be great too providing SJ Games doesn't mind.
smathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:34 AM   #12
C.JeffB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leila Ross View Post
Gripmats link isn't going to happen) would likely be good. Kickstarting now already funded, and they do hex grids in a variety of sizes and backgrounds designs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smathers View Post
I, for one, would love to hear some ideas on how people are using the overlays. I've played around with them a little adding some variety to the standard maps, but there are some overlay pieces (like the borders that fit along the sides of a hex) that I'm not quite sure how to use.

Pictures of maps with overlays would be great too providing SJ Games doesn't mind.
Sort of combining these two, I was wondering how people were keeping the smaller overlays from shifting around the board... It doesn't take much for them to move enough that they could be viewed as being on a different hex side.
Not that it would be terribly difficult to determine where they were supposed to be, but if that scenario could be avoided, it would be better, IMO...
C.JeffB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:01 AM   #13
StormCrow42

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.JeffB View Post
Sort of combining these two, I was wondering how people were keeping the smaller overlays from shifting around the board... It doesn't take much for them to move enough that they could be viewed as being on a different hex side.
A product such as http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/cnt...ting-Putty.htm, which is used to mount posters and flyers to walls without pins would work well to hold overlays in place.

Rule 2.00.3 makes the same recommendation.

Last edited by StormCrow42; 12-16-2013 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Rules cite
StormCrow42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:27 AM   #14
C.JeffB

And now I have to wonder what else I've overlooked in the rules...
:-\

Thanks!
C.JeffB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:44 AM   #15
wittzo

One thing about the Chessex vinyl maps I found out the hard way: don't confuse your dry erase markers with your wet erase markers. Sigh.
wittzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:03 AM   #16
GEVJockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittzo View Post
One thing about the Chessex vinyl maps I found out the hard way: don't confuse your dry erase markers with your wet erase markers. Sigh.
Try out this neat trick from the Sharpie thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyrath View Post
Ah, you mean to avoid mistakenly using a Sharpie on a laminated record sheet?
Did you know about the old US Navy trick?

Dry erase are nice on laminated sheets, except they can be easily smudged by your hand.
So in the Navy, they use Sharpie on the laminated sheet to avoid smudging. When the time comes to erase something, you scrub over the Sharpie mark with a dry erase marker. The dry erase mark dissolves the Sharpie mark, allowing both to be removed with a piece of facial tissue.

I would, however, first test this on an inconspicuous corner of the record sheet just to be sure it works.
GEVJockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:06 AM   #17
mmaestro

Maybe it's because I've not used mounting putty in a couple of decades now, but I always worry about it staining? Has anyone had that problem, or am I worrying about nothing?
Old 12-16-2013, 09:08 AM   #18
smathers

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.JeffB View Post
Not that it would be terribly difficult to determine where they were supposed to be, but if that scenario could be avoided, it would be better, IMO...
Sticky Tack works great. I keep a stick of it with my overlays and just pull it off when I put things up and add it back to the stick. I use a piece about the size of my pinky nail for a hex sized overlay or a few pieces that sized for larger ones.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:10 AM   #19
smathers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmaestro View Post
Maybe it's because I've not used mounting putty in a couple of decades now, but I always worry about it staining? Has anyone had that problem, or am I worrying about nothing?
I have not noticed any significant staining from blue Sticky Tack, but I also don't leave it on for very long. Overnight one time was the longest so far.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:07 AM   #20
wittzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEVJockey View Post
Try out this neat trick from the Sharpie thread!
I've used that solution on dry erase boards and lamination. The problem is the lines and finish on the Chessex maps are printed on. The dry-erase ink leeches into the printed surface. If you try to remove the dry-erase ink using a cleaning product, it takes the lines with it. That section of the map is forever ruined. They're wet-erase only.
wittzo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
designer's edition, maps, overlays