Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-12-2022, 11:16 PM   #131
Witchking

Default Re: Spear vs Knights... am I missing something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTraynor View Post
That, and I expect the appropriate Combat Arts. Looking good at demos, after all.
Eh those points went into Propaganda. I am really good at TELLING people I am good.

Just have it run off in a couple of freight pallets worth of broadsheets and have them shipped round the planet.

Lead pipe cinch just so long as I never ever fight under my own name where anyone can see me.
Old 04-13-2022, 07:36 AM   #132
zoncxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchking View Post
Eh those points went into Propaganda. I am really good at TELLING people I am good.

Just have it run off in a couple of freight pallets worth of broadsheets and have them shipped round the planet.

Lead pipe cinch just so long as I never ever fight under my own name where anyone can see me.
And definitely some contacts and wealth to spread the word that you are an amazing fighter.
zoncxs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 11:03 AM   #133
Witchking

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post
And definitely some contacts and wealth to spread the word that you are an amazing fighter.
Multimillionaire x1 and Independent Income x3 should cover the wealth.

Spreading the word I would hope to cover with Fast Talk 15, Propaganda 14 and Merchant (Services) 18 with the Headhunter Perk to hire up the Bards, Urchins, Adoring Fans, and Priests?

Oh and Administration 15 to more or less keep the Train on the Tracks.

LOL amusing and asinine thought experiments.
Old 04-13-2022, 12:26 PM   #134
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
LOL amusing and asinine thought experiments.

This thread has me looking at making a "GurpsCombatSimulationTool" that can really take these simplistic builds and figure out who wins when quickly. Should be interesting to see.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 08:53 PM   #135
RGTraynor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
This thread has me looking at making a "GurpsCombatSimulationTool" that can really take these simplistic builds and figure out who wins when quickly. Should be interesting to see.
Mm, but the problem comes from all the options and choices, and those become more and more necessary the higher skill levels are ratcheted.

Sure, it'd likely be a piece of cake to program something that can deal with two characters tinkerhammering on one another. But take Spear-27 dude. If the participants in this thread were polled as to what actions he would take in his first four combat rounds, I bet there'd be a dozen variations before blinking.

"Call me old-fashioned, but after you're dead, I don't think you should be entitled to a Dodge any more." - my wife

It's not that I don't understand what you're saying. It's that I disagree with what you're saying.
RGTraynor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 11:13 PM   #136
lugaid

Quote:
Huh...missing Acting.
Acting, in GURPS, is the ability to deceive other people. You may be thinking of Performance, which is the ability to put on a good show. I think that's what you were getting at, right?
lugaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 03:10 AM   #137
Lovewyrm

Quote:
Mm, but the problem comes from all the options and choices, and those become more and more necessary the higher skill levels are ratcheted.

Sure, it'd likely be a piece of cake to program something that can deal with two characters tinkerhammering on one another. But take Spear-27 dude. If the participants in this thread were polled as to what actions he would take in his first four combat rounds, I bet there'd be a dozen variations before blinking.
Indeed, the variables attached to human imagination play are quite a different world to 'ah I'll just write a quick simulation'.

Introducing animals vs humans, for example, and it quickly goes all sorts of ways.
Arthritic, non combat skill accountant vs one jackal.

A combat simulator would probably let the jackal win, often.
But there's so many ways to deal with animals that even somewhat infirm people have (including simply falling on top of something with human weight) that, yeah, would be tricky.

P.S.:
Regarding fame and high weapon skill, I don't think someone has to have people skills to get something named after them.
This super spear peasant can impale pretty much anyone through the eyes, no worries.
That guy could claim virtually anything, attribute it to the success of his style, and plenty of people would believe him.

"I use something I call 'the force', it's everywhere and I learned how to harness it."
"BULL!"
"Stab you in the eye!"
"Ok, I feel your point."

Last edited by Lovewyrm; 04-14-2022 at 03:15 AM.
Lovewyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 04:00 AM   #138
Witchking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovewyrm View Post
"I use something I call 'the force', it's everywhere and I learned how to harness it."
"BULL!"
"Stab you in the eye!"
"Ok, I feel your point."
"I can lick any man in this bar..."
Old 04-14-2022, 07:31 AM   #139
zoncxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugaid View Post
Acting, in GURPS, is the ability to deceive other people. You may be thinking of Performance, which is the ability to put on a good show. I think that's what you were getting at, right?
Actually, both. You want to be able to put on a good show AND deceive those who are not entirely convinced.
zoncxs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 08:52 AM   #140
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:

Fair enough... I'm actually more interested in the lower skill levels... Spear-27 is pretty low on what I'm looking at. I'm more interested in at what point buying ST is worth it (ST 11 and skill 15 vs ST 10 and skill 17) and on the ability to run a combatant past 10 DF encounters quickly.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
combat, optimisation