Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 05-20-2022, 05:18 AM   #1
Astromancer

Default D&D what next?

I'm getting back into D&D after thirty years.

I've got six D&D books,

The Players Guide

The Dungeon Masters Guide

Tasha's Cauldron of Everything

Xanathar's Guide to Everything

Acquisitions Incorporated

Strixhaven: a curriculum of chaos

Other than the Monster Manual, which I plan on getting next, what should I prioritize? And why?

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 07:35 AM   #2
Stormcrow

Default Re: D&D what next?

You should prioritize rolling up your sleeves and building an adventure. You can buy all the books you want, but it's actually running the thing that makes for success.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 08:53 AM   #3
Apollonian

Dungeon Grappling, obviously.
Apollonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 09:15 AM   #4
Fred Brackin

D&D beyond maybe?

For roughly the next week they're giving away diigtal copies of Acquistions Incorporated and a starter adventure.

https://www.dndbeyond.com/marketplac...caAsDqEALw_wcB

It has a functional online character generator and an online character sheet complete with digital dice rolling. It works relatively well in my experience.
Old 05-20-2022, 10:09 AM   #5
DeadParrot

Assuming you are buying 5th edition stuff. I and others in my group have seen rumors that WOTH/Hasbro is getting ready to do a version bump. Unclear if it will be another .5 release similar to the 3.0 -> 3.5 move or a true move to V6. Or just a bunch of baseless rumors put out by folks trying to create clicks on a website.

Nothing wrong with picking a version and sticking with it. My group stopped buying true D&D when they came out with V4. We stuck with 3.5 until Pathfinder came out and have kept Pathfinder around since. Staying with P1 as we all have rather extensive libraries of P1 stuff and don't want to spend several hundred dollars on similar P2 stuff.

If Hasbro does release a new version, might create a buying opportunity for folks wanting to fill out a 5th ed bookshelf.

If your return is as a player, check with your GM on what materials are in use at the table. Many GMs don't want the hassle of keeping track of so many books and how the various options interact. Or their personal budget doesn't allow a fully stocked library.

If you are going to GM, my suggestion is buy/download some modules/adventure paths and run those before trying to buy many more rule/setting books. Your players will likely have suggestion on what book(s) you should buy next.
DeadParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 02:17 AM   #6
ak_aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadParrot View Post
Assuming you are buying 5th edition stuff. I and others in my group have seen rumors that WOTH/Hasbro is getting ready to do a version bump. Unclear if it will be another .5 release similar to the 3.0 -> 3.5 move or a true move to V6. Or just a bunch of baseless rumors put out by folks trying to create clicks on a website.
[...]

If Hasbro does release a new version, might create a buying opportunity for folks wanting to fill out a 5th ed bookshelf.
What they have announced was an "Anniversary Edition" with no details of changes.
Which has resulted in all manner of chicken littleing.

@Astromancer
Mordenkainen's is the other big "rules extension" book, with Sword Coast Adventurers Guide being a minor one.

SCAG was worth it for me for the added subclasses.
I got out before Mordenkainen, Tasha and Xanthar... but friends playing have noted the wealth of mechanical content in those three.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 06:28 PM   #7
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
Other than the Monster Manual, which I plan on getting next, what should I prioritize? And why?
Making friends with someone who has a DM's subscription to DNDBeyond, has all of the books, and has a campaign, with content sharing enabled, that will invite you so you can peruse all of the books and decide which ones you want.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 06:44 AM   #8
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_aramis View Post
What they have announced was an "Anniversary Edition" with no details of changes.
Which has resulted in all manner of chicken littleing.

@Astromancer
Mordenkainen's is the other big "rules extension" book, with Sword Coast Adventurers Guide being a minor one.

SCAG was worth it for me for the added subclasses.
I got out before Mordenkainen, Tasha and Xanthar... but friends playing have noted the wealth of mechanical content in those three.
Thanks, that's useful info.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote