Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 07-25-2021, 07:27 AM   #11
larsdangly

Default Re: Where are things on Cidri? Elynthia, Red Plains, and the Land Beyond the Mountain

The concept behind Cidri was a lot easier to lean into back in the 80's when there was little chance you'd ever cross paths with more than 1 or 2 other TFT GM's. I.e., any differences in interpretation would be easy and even interesting to iron out, with lots of space on the planet for both of you. Now many people's campaigns bump up against each other through online discussions and the place feels more crowded.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 11:57 PM   #12
Steve Plambeck

Default Re: Where are things on Cidri? Elynthia, Red Plains, and the Land Beyond the Mountain

I see no obstacle to postulating identical stellar alignments in the skies of parallel Cidris. It would only become unrealistic (if the term "realistic" could even be applied to this matter) if the laws of physics varied from one iteration of the world to the next (as they do, for example, with Zelazny's Amber, where even chemistry and biology vary from one Amber to the next to a degree dependent on the further you step away from the "original".)

But there's nothing wrong either with postulating different constellations and different moons and planets in the skies of parallel Cidris. If a mariner from one version of Cidri cannot recognize the sky nor navigate in a a parallel Cidri, that could be how the party knows they are not in Kansas anymore.

I can't imagine many GMs would want to work so hard as to come up with a different astronomical system and a different calendar for each of multiple settings -- it's hard enough to do all that even once! But if anyone wants to, then more power to them!
Old 07-29-2021, 06:38 PM   #13
TippetsTX

"The multiverse is infinite and we are its masters, but there's only one Cidri... I think."
- Unknown Mnoren explorer
Old 09-25-2021, 05:16 AM   #14
Shaira

I'm a fan of keeping "mystery" in my fantasy games, so I don't personally consider it necessary to explain *everything* exhaustively. I like the idea that the Mnoren were extremely advanced - and that advancement was (probably) a combination of magic and some kind of technology. So we 21st century folks trying to theorise don't have all the info or knowledge to adequate answer the question of "what is Cidri?"

In my own campaign setting, I have a couple of paragraphs which give me enough info to work from without having to nail down some exhaustively detailed (and therefore probably problematic) explanation of Cidri's geography. Here's what I have:
Quote:
THE PARADOX OF CIDRI
Sages and mechanicians have calculated, using stellar motion, distance to horizon, and so on, that the world should be a sphere with a circumference of approximately 25000 miles. However, it appears to be impossible to circumnavigate; hardy explorers have travelled in all directions distances greater than 25000 miles and found only endlessly new lands. Thus there are many competing models about the shape and nature of Cidri, and the topic is a subject of furious speculation.

Travellers across great distances on Cidri find that orreries manufactured in one location differ from those in others. The number of planets visible is the same for a given location, but tales say that number (and nature) changes if you travel far enough in any direction. Some distant lands are said to have two moons, or even more. These may be just fanciful traveller's tales, or they may be something more.

More esoterically...

Longitude and latitude are concepts known to travellers and explorers, but sailors know that, if you go far enough, "the stars change", and navigation by longitude and latitude fails. The regions where this is said to happen are often called VERGES. Here are a few of the more unusual Verges:
  • The Vale of Two Moons
  • The Frozen Wastes of the Red Sun
  • The Tideless Sea (there's no moon in the sky!)
  • Slipscold, a vast city of basalt where it's always twilight - the sun hangs low, half-set, but never moving.
  • The Wilderlands of the Sky Ring
  • The Cratered Plain
  • The Empire of the Green Moon
  • The Land of Leaping People
That kind of explanation is enough for me - you can kinda figure out what's going on, and why Cidri is so huge, but at the same time it's not so specific that you end up with logic entanglements. I like to keep it mysterious. :)

Cheers,

Sarah
Shaira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 09:42 AM   #15
tomc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaira View Post
That kind of explanation is enough for me - you can kinda figure out what's going on, and why Cidri is so huge, but at the same time it's not so specific that you end up with logic entanglements. I like to keep it mysterious. :)
One of the things I like about TFT is its flexibility to accommodate different play styles. Some folks enjoy a very detailed and consistent background and world, and others just wanna chuck dice and whack monsters.

If you're having fun, you're doing it right.

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Podium
tomc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 09:48 AM   #16
JLV

I like Sarah's style. I think I'll steal her background! :-)
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote