Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-05-2021, 09:00 PM   #1
Plane

Default Dwight Hendrickson and Bullet Magnet from Haven in GURPS

Dwight (played by Adam "Edge" Copeland) has a "trouble" in this show which he explains as "if a gun goes off within a hundred yards, the bullet veers towards me"

If you don't mind slight spoilers (the show ran from 2010 to 2015 and it's not exactly any major plot spoilers) there's some clips from the show displaying it in action in this video where it prevents his friend getting shot (7s) causes a 180 degree pivot (51s) veers around a gramma (1m19) and gets him hit by blind shots in the woods (1m38s)

He's aware of this and wears a vest (luckily it doesn't veer around the vest, it's attracted to his center of mass or heart or something along those lines) and it has advantages mostly in the sense of protecting other people (who lack vests) from gunfire, with the downside of the blunt trauma (and knockback, perhaps cinematic) effecting him.

I'm curious what the best approach to defining something like this would be. It's almost like it lets you do an unlimited amount of Sacrificial Dodge except instead of jumping in front of the bullets, the bullets jump in front of you.

It's not "Uncontrollable" (he can't shut it off with willpower) so it's sort of an "Always On" ability.

You could probably define this for other things ("arrows veer toward me") and probably to differing degrees. Like maybe the smallest version would be that attacks (even random ones) get +1 to hit, while the maxed-out version is where you see bullets doing 180 degree turns.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 07:38 AM   #2
whswhs

Default Re: Dwight Hendrickson and Bullet Magnet from Haven in GURPS

I'm not very clear on how imbuements work, but it sounds kind of like it imbues bullets with the Homing advantage. Could it be treated as an area effect, or as usable on others and at range?

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 08:39 AM   #3
Rolando

work it for effect.

It makes everyone immune to bullets if he is at a 100 yds. of the attacker. It disable guns in a sense, at the expense of getting attacked by the guns.

This is very powerful and also very dangerous in some places, so it will be mostly campaign focused. In a dangerous place is a death sentence (even with a good vest all the time) and in some slippy town it may be just a big inconvenience. So it's cost will be a lot dependent on the campaign and the GM approval.
Rolando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 07:58 PM   #4
Pursuivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
I'm curious what the best approach to defining something like this would be. It's almost like it lets you do an unlimited amount of Sacrificial Dodge except instead of jumping in front of the bullets, the bullets jump in front of you.
OTOH, unless bullets veer to avoid other people, people in front of you have a serious problem. Additionally, you have a serious problem if your foes have high caliber weapons which can penetrate the vest or if a gunfight breaks out while you're not wearing armor. You also have the social hassles of having to wear a ballistic vest everywhere you go and having to replaced damaged body armor on a regular basis.

Assuming that it's potentially lethal problem, albeit with unintended benefits for those nearby, I'd call it a variant on Divine Curse worth -15 to -25 points. The relatively low cost is balanced by its significant benefits to those nearby. Otherwise, you've effectively got Terminally Ill in any setting where gunfire is a regular event.

Perhaps balance this with a positive Reputation (Keeps his buddies alive in battle) and a few Perks (Gets the Sacrificial Dodge maneuver as a Free action)

OTOH, if the character were designed as an Ally, you'd have to design it as a power. I'd start with Telekinesis with the Accessibility (Only to attract bullets), Always On, Area Effect, Cosmic (No skill roll required, Can affect multiple targets at once, Can affect even targets you can't detect), Unconscious Only, and lethal Nuisance Effect modifiers.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 08:43 PM   #5
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
unless bullets veer to avoid other people, people in front of you have a serious problem
I'm not completely sure on how that works, might need to compile more footage.

In the woods scene shown at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNYTbe0Yml8&t=99 when Dwight is standing nearly directly behind (maybe slightly to rear-left?) a woman (she's the one firing the bullets) the bullets don't do something like go back inside the gun in an attempt to get him.

There's a brief delay where the bullets actually DO move away from him, for about 3ft (a yard) before doing a curving 180 (not direct 180) to pivot back at him, which prevents them from destroying the gun they were shot from.

I interpret that as something like Dwight's Trouble is gradually shifting/rotating the vector of kinetic force, subtracting it from it's original direction and spinning it until it is pointed in Dwight's direction, which explains how it does a 'curve' and seems to slower down during the curve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
OTOH, if the character were designed as an Ally, you'd have to design it as a power. I'd start with Telekinesis with the Accessibility (Only to attract bullets), Always On, Area Effect, Cosmic (No skill roll required, Can affect multiple targets at once, Can affect even targets you can't detect), Unconscious Only, and lethal Nuisance Effect modifiers.
Using telekinesis (which emulates having hands) to parry bullets would probably require some extra soup-ups, like the "Parry Missile Weapons" skill combined with "Enhanced Time Sense", I think?

Makes me wonder how Magneto manages it (I don't think he has Enhanced Time Sense?) since in the film he manages to not only TK-wield and fire one of the guns he's nabbed off the cops, but actually stops the bullet he just fired for dramatic effect: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIcTr-m-R9U&t=88

I guess that could be explained as something other than a parry, like Magneto bestowing some Force Field DR to the skull of the cop he fired at and it's the DR which stopped the bullet?

But then DR presumably counts as something hitting you and then the bullet should lose momentum and fall down... the bullet in this case stays hovering (and even spinning!) so it's like Magneto neutralized the horizontal force but not the rotation force of the bullet.

If you had just "caught" a projectile like a bullet w/ a parry then presumably that's going to stop the bullet's rotation (via the rifling all pistols have) just like a successful hit w/ DR would... so yeah Magneto has me mystified as to how he would do that in GURPS terms.

That rotation matters since you see it slowly approaching the cop's head and almost "drilling" into him in a painful way w/ friction burns on the skull's skin (he shouts in pain)

He quips "I don't think I can stop them all" which might mean multiple simultaneous TK-bullet-catches are beyond him (or he's just being humble for humor)
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 09:26 PM   #6
Pursuivant

ETS (Limitation: Only to deflect bullets) and the Skill Adaption Perk (Precognitive Parry without TBAM) seem logical.

If you've got a "generic" area effect power which just grabs bullets within a given range and diverts them to a specific hit location on the character's body I'd base is on Telekinesis with appropriate Cosmic enhancements and a potentially dangerous Nuisance Effect.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 05:34 AM   #7
Desmondaceri
Banned

Default -

I thought I would say hi, as am a newbie on here...and my first Forum so sorry if i get things in the wrong place.
just setting up my new yak 55 sp with a DLE 170 so all help would be good
Desmondaceri is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
always on, bullet magnet, dwight hendrickson, haven, troubles