Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-01-2022, 09:21 AM   #26
The Colonel

Default Re: Ultratech and The Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal View Post
Right now, I'm looking at the stats on crimes by neighborhoods in LA to give me some feel for how things probably should work out. If I treat neighborhoods as having their own "stats" as a whole, I could possibly look into trying to figure a way to tie in criminals with the locations they live in. One study I was reading today (darn it, research is just so much fun!) indicated that the broken windows theory of policing does have merit. It was found that in neighborhoods with massive graffiti issues or litering issues - result in a "cirminal" action that is twice the number than similar crimes being committed in clean and well kept areas. The "test" was putting a 5 euro note in an envelope in a mailbox in cleaner more patrolled areas vs the same denomination being placed in a mailbox etc.

To me, that is sort of sloppy analysis simply on the grounds that other factors such as economic distress were not mentioned. But hey, it is a starting place for a GM to work from.
I guess there's also the "****ting where we eat" thing ... do the criminals spend their time stealing pocket change from their equally impoverished neighbours, or do they head uptown to commit their crimes where the pickings are better? Because I could see "commuter crime" being both a thing and a serious nuisance for people trying to link it to demographics.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cyberpunk, ultratech