Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-05-2009, 04:35 AM   #1
Christian

Default contemporary swedish hunting rifle

Hej gun geeks out there,

for a char of mine, a swedish female student, which also happens to go hunting with her dad occasionaly, I need an hunting rifle.

Being a complete civilian myself, this proves to be rather difficult.

Looking into High-Tech I only found the Voere VEC91, 5.7x26mm which is a) LC 3, b) light enough for a young lady and c) TL8.

Now while this is for sure a nice weapon ... it seems a bit on the pricey side for "occasional hunting".

The weapon I'm looking for should be TL7-8, LC 3-4 (remember, Sweden has stricter regulations come to weapons), ST-req max. 10 (better less) ... It should be considered an "all-purpose" hunting rifle. So while it should be basically intended for "small/medium game", it should take into account that you might have to "somehow" handle a moose as well.

Any suggestions?
Old 12-05-2009, 04:56 AM   #2
combatmedic
Banned

Default Re: contemporary swedish hunting rifle

Maybe a military surplus rifle, something TL 6 or 7? A good, reliable bolt-action would be my recommendation. If you want to shoot moose- don't use the same gun you'd use for small game. Different tool for a different job.
combatmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 05:12 AM   #3
Christian

Well then I suppose she will be issued a stronger rifle during moose season by her father, but will have a small game rifle herself.

Anyone having experience which weapon would be most likely to be choosen for that in Sweden? And which weapon stats to use from GURPS High-Tech?
Old 12-05-2009, 05:15 AM   #4
HANS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian View Post
Now while this is for sure a nice weapon ... it seems a bit on the pricey side for "occasional hunting".
Welcome to the real world. Hunting is an expensive hobby.

Quote:
So while it should be basically intended for "small/medium game", it should take into account that you might have to "somehow" handle a moose as well.
Like all modern countries, Sweden has very strict laws and rules governing what weapon can be used on which animal. To take on moose, bear, wolf, or boar, you are required to use a klass I vapen, ie, a high-powered rifle. Typical calibres in Sweden are 6.5x55mm, 7.62x51mm, .30-06, or 9.3x62mm. Note that while you could theoretically also use such a gun on smaller game, hunters usually will own several rifles for different game. There won't be much left of a rabbit or fox if you hit it with a large calibre.

Quote:
Any suggestions?
From the published selection in High-Tech, I'd take the Remington Model 700 (p. 116). This is a relatively common weapon even in Europe.

Cheers

HANS
Old 12-05-2009, 05:21 AM   #5
combatmedic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HANS View Post

Like all modern countries, Sweden has very strict laws and rules governing what weapon can be used on which animal. To take on moose, bear, wolf, or boar, you are required to use a klass I vapen, ie, a high-powered rifle. Typical calibres in Sweden are 6.5x55mm, 7.62x51mm, .30-06, or 9.3x62mm. Note that while you could theoretically also use such a gun on smaller game, hunters usually will own several rifles for different game. There won't be much left of a rabbit or fox if you hit it with a large calibre.

From the published selection in High-Tech, I'd take the Remington Model 700 (p. 116). This is a relatively common weapon even in Europe.

Cheers

HANS
Speak of the freakin' devil!!!

I was about to advise Christian to ask 'Hans-Christian Vortisch', the European gun-nut, about this. :)

I imagine Hans as living in a concealed bunker in the Alps, surrounded by dozens of hot German girls and a vast arsenal of firearms and explosives. His stainless steel fridge is filled with beer, slabs of red meat, and the severed heads of rival [former] game designers.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:29 AM   #6
HANS

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatmedic View Post
I imagine Hans as living in a concealed bunker in the Alps, surrounded by dozens of hot German girls and a vast arsenal of firearms and explosives. His stainless steel fridge is filled with beer, slabs of red meat, and the severed heads of rival [former] game designers.
Mostly wrong, alas ;)

Cheers

HANS
Old 12-05-2009, 05:33 AM   #7
combatmedic
Banned

Quote:
Mostly wrong, alas ;)

Cheers

HANS
Only mostly wrong....he feeds the heads to his pet bear, Brunhilde.

Christian, good luck and have fun with that campaign. Watch out for killer moose!
Old 12-05-2009, 05:51 AM   #8
Christian

Quote:
^^ never doubted it. But you have to admit, there is a major difference between a Remington Modell 700 for $450 and a Voere VEC91 for $2.500.

The former has the price tag that I was expecting (thanks for the suggestion), while the later is ... well a bit to pricey for my character. Not that she couldn't afford it, its just to bad of a cost-benefit ratio.

Hans, aside from the Remington, any other guns from Hightech or the Pulp gun pdfs you could suggest?
Old 12-05-2009, 05:58 AM   #9
HANS

Quote:
Hans, aside from the Remington, any other guns from Hightech or the Pulp gun pdfs you could suggest?
FN BAR (High-Tech, p. 117)
Mauser-action rifle in 6.5x55mm (High-Tech: Pulp Guns 2, p. 6)
Mannlicher-Schönauer Stutzen (High-Tech: Pulp Guns 2, p. 8)

Cheers

HANS
Old 12-05-2009, 06:10 AM   #10
Christian

So what calibre to use on small game? If I understood you correctly 0.300 / 7.62 mm would already be for wolves and such?

Please assume that the only "weapon" I ever used was an air rifle, and try to explain from there. You may also assume that I'm neither stupid, nor technicaly inept ... just have no experience at all with real weapons. ;)

Thanks for your help guys, its very welcome. :D

Tags
high-tech