Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-19-2011, 11:20 AM   #161
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: GURPS Spaceships Design Spreadsheet

Third sheet seems weird:

Changing the TL of Lightning Cannon (to 6) doesn't allow choosing it at lower TL than 7^. Checking not to care about TL doesn't allow it either.

The second listing of possible habitats, under Automed, should be Teleport Projector, but gives an error.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:26 AM   #162
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Version 1.23
-Added Open Frame option for Armor (near the High-Thrust/Ram Rockets options - Scroll all the way to the right).
-Added Top Deck Hull Option to the SS7 Options section.
-Maximum Air Speed (for Ornithopter Wings, Turbofan, etc.) now only applies to the Performance Profile the engine is assigned to.
-Checking the "Don't Filter Available Systems by TL" box now applies to Habitats, Weapons and Weapons Options as well as Ship Systems.
-Fixed some minor Conditional Formatting issues on the Weapons Table.
-Added Phased Array option for Laser and UV Lasers from SS7. To use this option you must repeat the weapon on 4 consecutive lines to generate the stats for the two additional increased RoF settings and then the Sensor Array Level.
-Added option in the Campaign Options to modify the price of the Habitat modules and most of the Hull/Ship options (Wings, Stealth Hull, etc.).

See my first post for download links.

I added a few of the features you were looking for vicky, and quashed a few more bugs.
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 10-25-2011 at 01:14 PM.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:32 PM   #163
ericbsmith

Version 1.24
-Added a checkbox to the top right to Disable the Core Macro. This will speed up some calculations, but disables the row auto-hide/auto-display feature along with some other minor things.
-Fixed bug in the Tall/Short macros for auto-adjusting row height.
-Added note to Weapon Shots for "Multiplied by number of mounts"
-Fixed notes for Shots of a Phased Array/Gravitic Focus weapon to show for all weapon modes, not just the first
-Combined the Ballistic Impulse/Burn Points columns into one column, allowing Shots column to be a little wider.
-Added an Extra Wide columns option
-Added some Mixed Weapon Batteries which include Peripheral mounts.

Again, mostly minor tweaks and additions.
Kaboom-baya.

Old 01-30-2011, 04:27 PM   #164
RogerBW

I've come quite late to this sheet, but it's been Dead Handy whipping up spaceships for my new campaign (which is cinematic on the surface, but horribly hard science underneath). Thanks!
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:42 PM   #165
ericbsmith

Version 1.25
-In the weapon table combined the Range column into the Ballistic Impulse/Burn Points column, freeing up some column space to readjust the weapons table.
-Added an area to adjust the amount of Ammunition weapons have assigned to them, off to the right of the Weapons Table. In this section you can add extra weapon Ammunition as cargo (subtracting from cargo capacity) or reduce the number of shots listed in the Weapon Mount.
-Corrected cost calculations for Weapon Ammunition. Ammunition is not included in the base cost of Weapon Mounts; previously ammo cost was not accounted for, though extra cost for warheads (Nukes/Sensor Probes, etc) was. Now, all ammo cost and warhead cost is accounted for and added to the cost of the ship.
-Corrected power use of Rocket Launchers (should have been 0 power use).
-After you have selected ship SM and added an Extradimensional Interface to the ship you can reselect ship SM and at the bottom of the list will be a split SM listing showing both the internal and external SM of the ship.

The big change this time around is to add a work area to adjust the shots of weapons and store extra ammunition in lieu of cargo space.
Kaboom-baya.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:53 PM   #166
ericbsmith

Version 1.25a
-Corrected Ammo Weight for Bombs, Sensor Probes, and Rapid Fire/Very Rapid Fire guns of all types
-Fixed lower ship SM drop Down Menu
-Fixed bug where lower ship TL wasn't affecting available ship systems

Kaboom-baya.

Old 02-05-2011, 04:54 AM   #167
ericbsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaran_skye View Post
If I were to overhaul it I'd probably remove the second spaceship form at the bottom and put the extra settings there and have an additional book that was a printer-friendly version that repeated the data from the worksheet.
Amusingly, while I scoffed at this when I first read it a couple months ago I find myself working on an overhaul that's quite similar to your outline. I've been messing around with a serious overhaul of the GUI of the Design Table which involves moving most, if not all, of the data options checkboxes into a single column.

One of the reasons for this approach is that I've got a very good idea about how I can implement both Reconfigurable Systems and Smaller SM systems into the sheet, but doing what I have in mind will be somewhere between difficult and impossible on the existing Design Table. So an overhaul of the sheet, including the GUI, looks like the only real solution.

Interestingly, I'm probably going to be ditching the 2nd ship, not because I don't like having it there but because it caused a lot of coding problems for me - quite a few formulas became over-complicated by having two ships in one sheet. Eliminating the 2nd ship will make rewriting the Design Table considerably easier (and thus, take many fewer months to do).
Kaboom-baya.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:32 AM   #168
Daigoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
Interestingly, I'm probably going to be ditching the 2nd ship, not because I don't like having it there but because it caused a lot of coding problems for me - quite a few formulas became over-complicated by having two ships in one sheet. Eliminating the 2nd ship will make rewriting the Design Table considerably easier (and thus, take many fewer months to do).
If it makes the decision any easier for you, I don't see much point in having two ships on the sheet either.

If your campaign only has two ships, then it's useful, but for any larger number, you'll want to save each under a separate file name and that extra ship becomes wasted space.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:48 PM   #169
panton41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
Amusingly, while I scoffed at this when I first read it a couple months ago I find myself working on an overhaul that's quite similar to your outline.
That's why they're going to pay me the big bucks...lol Seriously, though, I've taken classes in interface design and that idea just seemed more "sane". To me the bottom ship was a waste of space because I save a file per ship (bytes are cheap) so organizing to better utilize it on an 8.5x11" or A4 page makes sense.

Quirks: Doesn't proofread forum posts before clicking "Submit". [-1]

Quote:
"My mace speaks Goblin." Antoni Ten Monros
panton41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:49 PM   #170
ericbsmith

Quote:
That's why they're going to pay me the big bucks...lol Seriously, though, I've taken classes in interface design and that idea just seemed more "sane".
The thing is, though, all the options to the right really don't need to be printed. They either modify systems or generate notes which appear in the regular portion of the ship sheet. The side-scrolling is a little annoying, but not too bad.

Quote:
To me the bottom ship was a waste of space because I save a file per ship (bytes are cheap) so organizing to better utilize it on an 8.5x11" or A4 page makes sense.
To me, having two ships on one page was a much better use of page space. Most ships don't have enough weapons, habitats, and notes to take up a half of a page, and for those ships that do I added the capability of hiding either ship for printing.

Also, my original intention (which still holds) is to be able to copy the Design Table within the spreadsheet so you can keep all your ships for a single campaign in one file. This doesn't really save much space, but does allow you to set up a single set of campaign options and easily change them for all your ships.

Actually, since I'm looking at doing a serious revamp of the sheet I would like any suggestions on how to improve the interface or changes that would help (such as changing how options are applied).
Kaboom-baya.

Tags
design, game aids, gurpsland, program, sheet, spaceships, spreadsheet