Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-26-2012, 01:00 AM   #1
Trachmyr

Default One-Handed Submachineguns

I just started running a MH campaign, it's Cinematic but gritty and plays lip-service to realism.

One character is designed to use a pair of SMGs (H&K UMP40's with the folding stock removed and on a one-point sling). Minus the Stock, this should make the UMP40 come in at Acc 2, MinST 10, Bulk -3, 5.5/1.4 pounds & RCL 3.

Looking over the rules in both HT and TS, I'm a bit unsure of the requirements for using these weapons, as well as the weapon stat modifications.

This weapons stats in High Tech are very similar to the MP5K when fired one-handed, normally the MP5K has a foregrip, which is an option for the UMP40.

IN Tactical Shooting, this seems similar to firing a Longarm with the stock folded (-1 ACC, +1 RCL, 1.2xMinST)... but firing a Longarm one handed changes it to 1.5x MinST or 1.2x MinST if the weapon counts as "balanced" over the shooting hand, Furthermore, the weapon beomes unready unless ST is 2x (or 1.7x if balanced).

Slings reduce the needed MinST, and possibly remove the RCL increase.

So, my question is what Stats do I use when firing this SMG one handed, and one-handed with a sling. This question can be broken down into:
  • Do SMGs in genral, or the UMP40 in particular count as a weapon balanced over the shooting hand?
  • Does a sling remove the RCL penalty (as per TS.12) when firing it one handed with the stock folded/removed and NOT from the hip?
  • Would SMGs fired one-handed be affected by the Unready rule presented in TS, be exempt, or should they use something modified?
  • What would be the effects of firing this weapon with two hands? What if a foregrip was added? How much would that foregrip weigh?
  • What, if anything, should be affected by the Gunslinger Advantage?

And yes, I do know that TS and cinematic Gunplay are at odds with each other thematicly, but I looking specificly for that center point of compromise.

Thanks in advance!
Trachmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:01 PM   #2
BlackLiger

Default Re: One-Handed Submachineguns

While I can't offer input in the rest of it, I doubt a sling would reduce recoil. They go over the shoulder, normally, which means that they do nothing to prevent the weapon climbing.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:40 PM   #3
lexington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trachmyr View Post
Do SMGs in genral, or the UMP40 in particular count as a weapon balanced over the shooting hand?
Seems unlikely. The magazine and barrel are both in front of the hand so the weight will be mainly toward the shooty end. In a gritty cinematic game I'd definitely let him modify the gun to be balanced.

Quote:
Does a sling remove the RCL penalty (as per TS.12) when firing it one handed with the stock folded/removed and NOT from the hip?
There's no use of the sling for hip shooting listed in TS, only a reference under "Shoulder Shooting of Long Arms".

Quote:
Would SMGs fired one-handed be affected by the Unready rule presented in TS, be exempt, or should they use something modified?
Use the rules listed. It won't be an issue with the sling. He only needs ST14.

Quote:
What would be the effects of firing this weapon with two hands? What if a foregrip was added? How much would that foregrip weigh?
Foregrips are listed on TS75. They weigh less than half a pound at TL8.

I'd drop the ST increases by a level (2x->1.7x, 1.7x->1.5x, 1.5x->1.2x) and include the bonus from the foregrip.

Also if he wants to dual wield and use two hands he needs additional limbs or some sort of Cosmic version of Guns Akimbo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLiger View Post
While I can't offer input in the rest of it, I doubt a sling would reduce recoil. They go over the shoulder, normally, which means that they do nothing to prevent the weapon climbing.
You put it over the shoulder, cinch it tight, and push the weapon forward. It makes a more stable shooting platform than nothing. Recoil (the physically thing) is unaffected but Rcl and ST are.

Last edited by lexington; 07-27-2012 at 09:50 PM.
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:04 PM   #4
Kale

You can treat a firearm as Braced if you cinch it tight with a sling. This takes Bulk seconds to rig up, since you are taking up the extra slack in the sling and using it to hold the gun tight against your body. In a one-handed scenario, this reduces the ST requirement to use the weapon one-handed, but the Recoil penalty is still one step worse.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:24 PM   #5
Sam Cade

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLiger View Post
Slings for use on stockless longarms or subcarbines mount at the rear of the weapon and the shooter pushes forward (with both hands on the firearm). It works reasonably well at stabilizing the weapon. Not as good as having a stock but better than just dangling it out there.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...1copy.jpg/sr=1

http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/MP5-C...-Made-p115.htm

http://www.jpfo.org/
كافر
Sam Cade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:40 PM   #6
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Cade View Post
Slings for use on stockless longarms or subcarbines mount at the rear of the weapon and the shooter pushes forward (with both hands on the firearm). It works reasonably well at stabilizing the weapon. Not as good as having a stock but better than just dangling it out there.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...1copy.jpg/sr=1

http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/MP5-C...-Made-p115.htm
Tactical Shooting has rules on handling a long arm with a folded stock that way on page 12.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:16 PM   #7
lexington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kale View Post
You can treat a firearm as Braced if you cinch it tight with a sling.
The stock is off so that doesn't happen in this case.
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gun fu, monster hunters, submachine gun, tactical shooting