Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-26-2011, 04:29 PM   #1
Humabout

Default [Gun Fu/MH] Range Bands, Increased Range, and Area Effect

I've been inspired by RPK's Monster Hunters series to sort out some generalized range band enhancements and limitations for attacks. I suppose this is part question, part submission for criticism/double checking.

The following costs were derived assuming a typical range of 10/100 and modifying it to X/X where X = the longest possible range within a given range band. The formula used is as follows:

Log [Range in yds] / 3 = Cost in %, then rounded to the nearest whole percentage

Decreased/Increased Range
Close, -27%
Short, -7%
Medium, +17%
Long, +40%
Extreme, +60%

These could, of course, be rounded to the nearest 5%, if preferred.

Area Effects that extend out to the edge of a given range band would use the following formula to derive the following costs:

(Log [Range in yds]/Log 2) x 50% = Cost in %, then rounded to the nearest whole percentage.*

Area Effect
Close, +116%
Short, +216%
Medium, +332%
Long, +448%
Extreme, +548%

Again, these could easily be rounded to the nearest 5%, if preferred.

My question to the boards is whether or not figuring these ranges to the longest possible range is more appropriate than figuring it to the closest possible range within the band (as the range penalties are figured). My thought was that it's a more accurate representation of the ability's range if it assumes the full extent of the range band. Am I correct in this?

* Of course, if my calculator or excel had a Log2 function, I'd simplify the formula to Log2 [Range] * 50%.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gun fu, monster hunters