Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-14-2022, 01:17 PM   #21
Varyon

Default Re: Games that should NEVER Be done in Gurps

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvercatMoonpaw View Post
Possibly traits that come from "nowhere" should be rationalized as something the character has acquired but not revealed yet. It feels in-genre for a shounen hero to bust out a new move and then say they had "off-screen" training. (Note: This isn't the same as being allowed to ret-con "points from training" as it exists in the GURPS rules. This is simply a genre convention that says that any character trait bought during "adventure time" was actually there in some fashion before that moment and was simply not being used.)
There's plenty of options for stuff like this. For new abilities, it's often something the character is coming up with on the fly - or they're actually copying another character's abilities (it being something they recently learned off-screen certainly isn't uncommon, of course). For overall power boosts - which are probably more common - it's usually Power of Friendship/Insanity/Rage, tapping further into one's potential than before, or similar. Of course, sometimes it's a bit of both, like Goku figuring out how to layer multiple instances of kaiouken on top of each other for a massive power boost. At the table, it's generally either spending points you kept in reserve, or going into point-debt to gain a new ability (or both!).

That's for permanent boosts, of course. Temporary ones can be accomplished by other means, such as improvising new abilities (using the relevant rules from Powers and elsewhere), having the variant of Neutralize that lets you copy the opponent's ability (possibly as something like "Power Theft Only," as it's not like Master Roshi temporarily lost the ability to use his kamehameha when Goku successfully copied it), having something like Blessed (Heroic Feats), having a powerful ability with Limited Use, etc.
Old 07-14-2022, 03:43 PM   #22
Shostak

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Playing ASL scenarios in GURPS is certainly doable, although time consuming.
I was thinking more an RPG about playing the game ASL.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 03:57 PM   #23
Lovewyrm

None. Cause instead of more rules you can always go less rules and just stick to the standard 3d6 success roll and go with narrative driven for everything else.
Then it truly works for anything. Even ultra high powered, since the GM can just set a success roll goal even for a god tier character, if it would actually be a challenge.

Low power character: roll under 12 to pull this off
God tier character: roll under 12 to pull this off

Works in both situations, but then again I have always enjoyed a little bit of handwaving.
Lovewyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 04:07 PM   #24
SilvercatMoonpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovewyrm View Post
None. Cause instead of more rules you can always go less rules and just stick to the standard 3d6 success roll and go with narrative driven for everything else.
I'm still confused as to how this qualifies as using GURPS as opposed to any other game that relies on 3d6-roll-under?
Old 07-14-2022, 04:07 PM   #25
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Thats my feeling. I have read The Sandman but the Silver Surfer is actually not that complicated to build in GURPS, just very high CP. Reality shapers can be complicated and tough to build but most others? Not usually that hard.
Indeed. A character meant to be able to combat a fleet of Enterprise-D/E scale warships (Silver Surfer, Green Lantern John Stewart, etc.) is easily enough done, even if you need to use a quarter million or so points to cover everything. A character meant to be a manifestation of an abstract universal or multiversal cosmic force (Morpheus, Living Tribunal, Death) - or is basically an omniscient computer program able to tap into an intergalactic scale internet-counterpart (Supreme Intelligence; can't think of a DC counterpart) - is nearly impossible to stat out. At best, you have a number of personality quirks as an NPC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr View Post
And, then there's the old joke:
GURPS Rifts D20.
I've done a GURPS Rifts conversion. GURPS and D20 are at odds with each other, design-wise, though; pick one or the other.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting

Last edited by Phantasm; 07-14-2022 at 04:11 PM.
Phantasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 07:13 PM   #26
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
So, the PCs are grognards, seeking out long out-of-print expansions for their game, using Social Engineering rules to make contact with and talk other grognards into actually setting up a game and playing it out?

(On a crit fail, you drop the box(es) and have to re-sort all the counters before you can play the next game.)
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 09:04 PM   #27
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
So, the PCs are grognards, seeking out long out-of-print expansions for their game, using Social Engineering rules to make contact with and talk other grognards into actually setting up a game and playing it out?

(On a crit fail, you drop the box(es) and have to re-sort all the counters before you can play the next game.)
There was a gaming webcomic I used to read in which one of the characters was working on a tabletop RPG in which the players played as gamers who would run games within the game (with one of the players playing the part of the GM of said game within the game), using their characters skills to cheat their way through the games. It struck me as a bizarre and surreal concept... enough I remember it now, something like 15 years later, even if I can't remember the name of the webcomic itself.
Old 07-15-2022, 02:20 AM   #28
Lovewyrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvercatMoonpaw View Post
I'm still confused as to how this qualifies as using GURPS as opposed to any other game that relies on 3d6-roll-under?
It's just taken as a fact, in case one wants to flesh out things more with other GURPS stuff.

Just start simpler to run anything.
Lovewyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 02:50 AM   #29
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
It's no worse than any other slice of life concept.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 03:25 AM   #30
jacobmuller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
GURPS Russian Roulette.

More seriously:

Detailed conversions of sporting contests. (Better abstracted to the level of Mass Combat or Sport Combat, with dice rolls that just cover critical points in the contest.)
Seriously: I'd buy the Mass Combat - Sport expansion booklet - converting the real games to alt reality games, eg Blood Bowl, Troll Ball...
I must apologise, however, for my failure to contribute a "don't do it" game.
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adaptions, meta