Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-10-2013, 10:45 PM   #1
JMason

Default Wait for an attack, then run into close combat

If a player takes a wait triggered by a melee attack, to run into the same hex as the attacker, does this prevent the attack? If so, can the attacker change manuvers?

edit: assuming a reach 1 weapon, if that wasn't clear.
JMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:56 PM   #2
zoncxs

Default Re: Wait for an attack, then run into close combat

Unless the attacker started their turn in close combat and can not move out of close combat, the attacker can still attack at no penalty.

It is only when the attacker starts in close combat with their target and attacks while still in close combat with said target do they at track at a penalty if you are using gurps martial arts, otherwise they can not attack.

Last edited by zoncxs; 06-11-2013 at 11:10 AM. Reason: dam auto correct!
zoncxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:42 AM   #3
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post
Unless the attacker started their turn in close combat and can not move out of close combat, the attacker can still attack at no penalty.

It is only when the attacker starts in close combat with their target and attacks while still in close combat with said target do they at track at a penalty if you are using girls martial arts, otherwise they can not attack.
Whoa. I want that obscure PDF.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:02 AM   #4
DangerousThing

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post
It is only when the attacker starts in close combat with their target and attacks while still in close combat with said target do they at track at a penalty if you are using girls martial arts, otherwise they can not attack.
So why should gender matter?

I agree with Vicky, I want that book or PDF also. ;)

(Emphasis mine.)

An interesting idea, but the foe still gets to defend *before* close combat is entered, and gets to retreat if he hasn't moved yet. Basically close combat is difficult to force on somebody unless you've got the drop on him. Say, for example, a grapple from behind.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:41 AM   #5
Vynticator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousThing View Post
Basically close combat is difficult to force on somebody unless you've got the drop on him. Say, for example, a grapple from behind.
Or if combat takes place in a real world setting where infinite retreats are not possible. So, if there is furniture or if there are walls or other people in the combat space - then you can force close combat.

Or having basic move 11 which gives you a 2 yard step - then you can beat his retreat :)
Vynticator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:24 AM   #6
Mr_Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vynticator View Post
Or if combat takes place in a real world setting where infinite retreats are not possible. So, if there is furniture or if there are walls or other people in the combat space - then you can force close combat.

Or having basic move 11 which gives you a 2 yard step - then you can beat his retreat :)
Committed attack can also let you take a 2 yard step.

In that case, is this how it works?

A: Turn 1 starts- Wait triggered by B attacking
B: Turn 1 starts - Steps to Range 1 starts to attack.
A: Wait triggered. Committed attack (determined) steps 1 yard into close combat and rolls for his attack.
B: Retreats and rolls defense, as if at range 1, because that was the range before A started his attack.
A: Steps the second yard to stay in C range.
B: Completes attack (at range C?)

A: Turn 2 starts - Attacks at range C.
Mr_Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:55 AM   #7
DangerousThing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Sandman View Post
Committed attack can also let you take a 2 yard step.

In that case, is this how it works?

A: Turn 1 starts- Wait triggered by B attacking
B: Turn 1 starts - Steps to Range 1 starts to attack.
A: Wait triggered. Committed attack (determined) steps 1 yard into close combat and rolls for his attack.
B: Retreats and rolls defense, as if at range 1, because that was the range before A started his attack.
A: Steps the second yard to stay in C range.
B: Completes attack (at range C?)

A: Turn 2 starts - Attacks at range C.
And B will back away to keep distance if possible. I'm not sure how a two yard step helps, but it might. Martial artists have to be fast to keep at close range against a foe that wants to stay at greater than C distance.

One way to keep him at C is to grapple him.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:25 PM   #8
JMason

What I am wondering is if:

A: Wait triggered by B attacking
B: Steps to Range 1 starts to attack.
A: Wait triggered. MOVE, steps 1 yard into close combat.
B: ???

There was no attack on B, so they do not get a retreat. Does their reach 1 weapon still get an attack in close combat?

Also, what happens if

A and B start in the same hex.

A: Wait triggered by B moving away.
B: Begins a Step (back) and attack.
A: Steps to maintain close combat, attacks.

At this point, can B retreat and parry the unarmed attack? And can B still get an attack?
JMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:31 PM   #9
Mr_Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousThing View Post
And B will back away to keep distance if possible. I'm not sure how a two yard step helps, but it might. Martial artists have to be fast to keep at close range against a foe that wants to stay at greater than C distance.

One way to keep him at C is to grapple him.
Right, if A wants to keep B in close combat, his best move may be to grapple. If that's the case, A should grapple B as soon as he steps into close combat.

But once in close combat, as B is at the beginning of A's second turn, even if he isn't grappled B can only dodge, or parry with a reach C weapon. B can retreat, but A can use his step to follow. If B steps out to range 1 before his next attack, A can use a slip when he defends to move into close combat again for the beginning of A's next turn.

If A is a skilled fighter with a reach C weapon but no particular grappling skills, and B has no reach C weapon, for example if A has a rapier and main gauche, and B has rapier and buckler, this could work for A because moving in like that can deprive B of his better defenses. It not perfect, because B's attacks on A are still considered to be a reach 1.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:56 PM   #10
Mr_Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMason View Post
What I am wondering is if:

A: Wait triggered by B attacking
B: Steps to Range 1 starts to attack.
A: Wait triggered. MOVE, steps 1 yard into close combat.
B: ???

There was no attack on B, so they do not get a retreat. Does their reach 1 weapon still get an attack in close combat?

Also, what happens if

A and B start in the same hex.

A: Wait triggered by B moving away.
B: Begins a Step (back) and attack.
A: Steps to maintain close combat, attacks.

At this point, can B retreat and parry the unarmed attack? And can B still get an attack?
I think a Wait can't trigger a Move, so A would have to attack when the Wait is triggered. But it does leave the issue that if A misses on the attack, B doesn't get a retreat.

My take on it is that the step would take B to reach 1, so he can parry the attack, and if he retreats during the parry, he could then attack with a reach 1 weapon. But I'm less confident of that.