Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-01-2017, 09:13 PM   #1
RyanW

Default Anyone remember a "Limited Mana" Pyramid article?

For some reason, I remembered an old Pyramid article today--during the HTML version--and was wondering if anyone ever used it. In short, it was the idea of making mana a limited resource (herbs, rocks, mana organs, water from a magic spring, etc.) that had to be harvested, carried, and consumed to power any magic. You don't recover magical energy. You went out and dug it up.

Just found it, available as a sample. I misremembered some details, it looks like.

Last edited by RyanW; 11-01-2017 at 09:17 PM.
RyanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:13 PM   #2
hal

Default Re: Anyone remember a "Limited Mana" Pyramid article?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
For some reason, I remembered an old Pyramid article today--during the HTML version--and was wondering if anyone ever used it. In short, it was the idea of making mana a limited resource (herbs, rocks, mana organs, water from a magic spring, etc.) that had to be harvested, carried, and consumed to power any magic. You don't recover magical energy. You went out and dug it up.

Just found it, available as a sample. I misremembered some details, it looks like.
You may be thinking of Ars Magica.
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:17 PM   #3
Refplace

I think you may be mixing two things up.
Threshold Magic was originally called Unlimited Mana and I think first appeared in Roleplayer.
The other bits related to carrying magic could be from Thaumatology and the Pyramid article Material Magic, though that was for enchanting.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 10:29 AM   #4
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
I think you may be mixing two things up.
Threshold Magic was originally called Unlimited Mana and I think first appeared in Roleplayer.
The other bits related to carrying magic could be from Thaumatology and the Pyramid article Material Magic, though that was for enchanting.
I'm well aware of Unlimited Mana, this was a different system entirely (see the sample article I added to the OP). The mana batteries in Limited Mana cover the carrying of magic as a physical object.

I feel like I'm still conflating it with an article from about the same time that featured the idea of mana as a resource gathering operation, though, for more of the "there's mana in them thar hills" feel. Perhaps a primitive version of The Material Difference that was focused on enchanting but combined well with Limited Mana.
Old 11-02-2017, 06:56 PM   #5
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

You may be thinking of Raw Magic?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pyramid 2