Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-23-2013, 11:34 AM   #1
LostWormOnItsWayHome

Default Rule of 16 - What's the Point?

Hi there,

Title pretty much says it all. I have no idea what the purpose of the rule of 16 is.
LostWormOnItsWayHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:41 AM   #2
Anaraxes

Default Re: Rule of 16 - What's the Point?

It's relatively easy to get a high skill level (20..25) with a single spell. It's cheaper to raise the attack by one level (4 character points) than it is to raise the defense (IQ/Will, HT). The Rule of 16 prevents mages with high skills from effectively ignoring resistance rolls. Skill-16 versus Will/HT 10 or 12 is a significant advantage. Skill-25 (average margin of success 15 points) means the resistance roll becomes pointless.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:26 PM   #3
gilbertocarlos

What he said, combined with the fact that IQ/hard skills only costed 2 points on 3Ed.
gilbertocarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:51 PM   #4
Blind Mapmaker

This gets worse if high IQ (16+) and Magery (5+) are allowed and within the starting point budget. A mage doesn't even have to invest many extra resources to have Charm and Flesh to Stone at 22+ in that case. And having spells at 20+ already gives a nice reduction to energy cost and casting time.

All in all, the Rule of 16 is pretty much needed in all but the most cinematic games. Even in very high-power games you might not want supers and mages to arbitrarily bend everyone to their will but others of their power level. Even with skill capped at 16 for this purpose you already have a good margin of victory over most mooks and normals.
Blind Mapmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:54 PM   #5
reddir

The advice in the 'Skills' section of Basic is to spread out ones points, after level 20-25.

So, in the case of attacks, perhaps spend points on improving one's ability to strike repeatedly. In the case of skills, perhaps another way to accomplish the same thing.
reddir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:49 PM   #6
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

I was never able to grasp how this one's supposed to work. Likewise with Buying Skills from Default - I cannot comprehend what these rules are or how they're supposed to go in play.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:53 PM   #7
LostWormOnItsWayHome

Oh, I see. I didn't realise that resistance rolls were basically quick contests; I'd assumed that they worked just like active defenses. That makes sense, thanks!
LostWormOnItsWayHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:53 PM   #8
Snaps

FYI, there are ways to raise the rule of 16. I think there's either an advantage or perk in Thaumatology that lets a mage increase that to the Rule of 17, or even the Rule of 18.
Snaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:09 PM   #9
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaps View Post
FYI, there are ways to raise the rule of 16. I think there's either an advantage or perk in Thaumatology that lets a mage increase that to the Rule of 17, or even the Rule of 18.
On a spell-by-spell basis, yes. This is specifically to put the kibosh on Mr. "IQ+Magery 24" guy, who only ever puts one point in each spell anyways.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:44 PM   #10
lexington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaps View Post
Psionic Campaigns also has "No Rule of 16" as an enhancement for abilities.
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rule of 16