Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 01-18-2022, 11:10 AM   #31
zoncxs

Default Re: Damage is too high in this game.

Still 404 error for me.
zoncxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 12:53 PM   #32
martinl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
To the point that "anything other than an edged rapier is for chumps" was heard frequently during chargen and discussion of swashbucklers and swords.

Not all tables are this way, etc. But the gulf between those with swung weapons and those without is really big.
I generally agree, but at some skill point (and DFRPG is at least near this point) thrust is important for killing everything with the "eye" hit location as expeditiously as possible.

Of course, you still need the edged rapier for all the stuff without it.
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 01:30 PM   #33
Kalzazz

If they have eyes they often have skulls you can swing at to

Demons of Old have specifically important to target vitals so other critters may as well
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 02:05 PM   #34
Black Leviathan

If you come from a more heroic game system having a 600lb guy drop a 24" axe blade through your torso might seem like a pretty trivial booboo but GURPS takes a slightly different view of that kind of massive trauma. Your character is going to get hurt, even in expensive armor, and they're going to have a rough day.

3d or 2d+Alot cutting swings may seem like a ton until you weigh how little extra those characters can do in the game, how limited they often are for movement, defense, ranged attacks or non-combat problem solving. When you realize that those characters pretty much just make stuff bleed when it comes up to them with a poor active defense, that big damage doesn't seem as unbalanced.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 02:56 PM   #35
martinl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
If they have eyes they often have skulls you can swing at to
This is true. One of the weirder high damage DFRPG things - "expert backstabbing" combined with WM knife leads to dagger swings at the skull being the optimal "backstab".

Bacstabihti is a valid starting thief PC and stabs the vitals for 1d+5 (x3) or hits the skull for 3d+5 (x4). Skull armor has to be a lot better than torso armor for the kidneys to be the best target there.

Last edited by martinl; 01-18-2022 at 03:01 PM.
Old 01-18-2022, 03:43 PM   #36
JulianLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinl View Post
Bacstabihti is a valid starting thief PC and stabs the vitals for 1d+5 (x3) or hits the skull for 3d+5 (x4). Skull armor has to be a lot better than torso armor for the kidneys to be the best target there.
I like this character, but unless I'm missing something, all the Active Defenses are 1 too high. I suspect you thought you'd given the character Combat Reflexes and added that, but the character doesn't have CR.
JulianLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 07:08 PM   #37
tbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post
Still 404 error for me.
Thanks for the warning. On checking again... It's odd, the URL redirect for that one page is working sometimes. I'll reboot the server, see if that helps...

Alternate URLs aside, the canonical, baked-into-the-page URL is https://www.gamesdiner.com/edge-prot...-for-gurps-4e/ . If that doesn't work, something bigger is messed up. : /

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 10:12 PM   #38
tbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
For what it's worth, I played in a game with swing = thrust + 2 and it helped with a whole host of stuff. Might not be for everyone, but I dug it.
Out of curiosity, what's the exact method? That is, for a broadsword (thr +2 imp, sw +1 cut), did you use
  • sw = thr+2, add another 2 = thr+4 ?

or
  • Change sw+1 to thr+1, add another 2 = thr +3 ?

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 05:47 AM   #39
zoncxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
Out of curiosity, what's the exact method? That is, for a broadsword (thr +2 imp, sw +1 cut), did you use
  • sw = thr+2, add another 2 = thr+4 ?

or
  • Change sw+1 to thr+1, add another 2 = thr +3 ?
Sw = thr + 2

so if:

thr = 1d-2

then

sw = 1d

so:

broadsword (thr +2 imp, sw +1 cut) is:

1d imp, 1d+1 cut.
zoncxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 07:41 AM   #40
martinl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianLW View Post
I like this character, but unless I'm missing something, all the Active Defenses are 1 too high. I suspect you thought you'd given the character Combat Reflexes and added that, but the character doesn't have CR.
I included shield DB - this is not DFRPG standard but I didn't realize at the time.