Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 01-18-2014, 08:12 AM   #1
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default (IC) Lost In Dreams [Peter]

Peter Nichol's dreams were eiree that night. He dreamed of an ancient, pristeen forest, still inhabited by its original creatures: deer, wolves, bears, beavers ... all were present. As were the original people of the land, dwelling in the forest, farming and hunting.

And then he dreamed of a iron city. Of europeans dwelling on a river, mining high in the hills and sending the coal down to fuel their hot bellied furnaces, creating reapers, plows, and guns.

But their was something off about both of the peoples: a wariness of the night, and a separating of their communities from the wild. Every town, every village, and indeed every camp, was marked with a clear warning: stay out. It was done in various ways, but they all did it: skulls, lines in the dirt with writing, fences, crosses ...

Peter woke up in the middle of the woods. That was normal. Goliath was next to him. That was also normal. But he was completely naked, which was not normal. At all. One glance at the stars told him that it was about an hour before dawn. Assuming it was still May and he was still in Massachusetts.

Chapters:
The Riders
Doctors Without Borders
The Karaka Circle
Clockwork Sky
Genomic Park -- Two Parts
The Beast in the Village
Men of Mars

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!

Last edited by ericthered; 01-10-2024 at 08:14 AM.
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:54 PM   #2
the_matrix_walker

Default Re: (IC) Lost In Dreams [Peter]

Peter rises and stretches the sleep out of his muscles. "Where are we boy? and where the heck are my clothes?" He glances about for signs of his clothing or for anything familiar that might let him know what part of the forest he's in.

"C'mon boy, let's go find our way home and get us some breakfast." He scratches Goliath's thick furry neck. "Looks like you've lost your collar too... Do you feel naked boy?" He says with a smile, enjoying his little joke.

Unable to recognize where he is, Peter picks a likely direction and starts to walk. The wooded areas around his home are all relatively small, so he believes any direction will take him to a road before very long.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:21 AM   #3
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Goliath is somewhat more nervous than usual in these woods, but that could just be coincidence. Or unfamiliarity. That dog seemed to know every quarter acre around.

Peter walked well over a mile without hitting a road. And without seeing any lights. Or beer cans, or pop caps, or signs, or any other sign of human habitation.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 01-20-2014, 11:39 AM   #4
the_matrix_walker

Peter continues to walk, searching for the edge of the woods, a path, or any sign of people. He is getting a bit nervous that he's managed to get himself lost.

"Well boy, I picked the wrong way I guess... but a road can't be far now."

'How far could I have sleep walked? I didn't even know I sleep walk' he thinks.

"You followed me out here boy, do you know the way home?"

As long as Goliath trails behind him, Peter keeps walking in the same direction, but if Goliath walks out in front, he'll follow him and his nose. After a little while longer walking, he starts keeping an eye out for edible plants and water sources.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:44 AM   #5
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

The forest is seemingly empty of human life. ... then he notices that the edible plants of the area are already harvested. Someone at least has been through here already. There is some stuff left, but a good 75 percent is gone.

Goliath is following peter when the large dog stops, raises its bristles, and growls. The dog must have good senses, Peter hadn't. ... no, he could sense something. But not with his eyes or his ears. He just could tell something was in the bushes ahead of them.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:23 AM   #6
the_matrix_walker

Peter takes a step back, closer to Goliath and put's his hand on the fur of the big dog's neck, as much to calm himself as the dog, and he looks carefully at the brush for what he's sensing.

"Is someone there?"
Old 01-23-2014, 03:19 PM   #7
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

"A Ghost? The phrase applies. The remnants of a living, moving, vibrant creature. I have been many things to many people. I have gone by many names, and been many things. but now I am simply the remnants of those things."

"I need a place to stay. A place that will live. I want you to carry me with you. I wish to journey with you that I may continue to see the world, and have a companion."

Old 01-24-2014, 11:03 AM   #8
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Goliath is still growling at the ghost, obviously quite scared of the creature.

Peter isn't quite getting a vibe from this creature. maybe if he had more time....

Old 01-24-2014, 11:46 AM   #9
the_matrix_walker

"Id like to help you somehow.... but I don't want to be possessed if that's what you're talking about! And you scare Goliath, and he's been my 'companion' for a ling time!" Peter strokes the big dags fur, trying to calm him.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:26 AM   #10
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

"Possession? I would not possess your body. I would merely ride along, see what you see, and maybe make a little conversation. You can kick me out anytime you want and I promise the dog won't continue barking at me once I'm not a naked spirit like this. Besides, I can help you. You're as naked as I am.

Tags
lost in dreams