Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-02-2022, 12:45 AM   #1
Kage2020

Default Adaptations: Not what I was thinking

So... After reading Kromm's latest news, I excitedly picked up Stoddard's Adaptations and, well, it was nothing like I expected. Certainly, I feel, it didn't stand up to the blurb on the back of the book even if that in no way means it isn't a cool book.

I was hoping that it would give me more insight into using GURPS to break down a setting that I've been interested in a long time but... No, that's not what it is. As far as I can tell it's basically a GUPRS interpretation of Fate Core in terms of advice for structuring games.

Again, this is not a bad thing. It just didn't do what, to me, it said on the tin.

TL;DR -- Adaptations should be a part of the How to be a GURPS GM series.

I would still love to see a book, or series of books, that showed how you could use GURPS to adapt various settings.
Kage2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 05:01 AM   #2
whswhs

Default Re: Adaptations: Not what I was thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage2020 View Post
I was hoping that it would give me more insight into using GURPS to break down a setting that I've been interested in a long time but... No, that's not what it is. As far as I can tell it's basically a GUPRS interpretation of Fate Core in terms of advice for structuring games.
Well, it definitely is not that, because I've never looked at Fate Core. I looked at the Spirit of the Century preview when it first came out, and it totally put me off FATE; I've stuck with vanilla FUDGE. Perhaps we have a common source in literary theory.

What setting were you interested in adapting?

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 07:11 AM   #3
KarlKost

Quote:
So... After reading Kromm's latest news, I excitedly picked up Stoddard's Adaptations and, well, it was nothing like I expected. Certainly, I feel, it didn't stand up to the blurb on the back of the book even if that in no way means it isn't a cool book.

Again, this is not a bad thing. It just didn't do what, to me, it said on the tin.

I would still love to see a book, or series of books, that showed how you could use GURPS to adapt various settings.
What do you mean, like worked examples?
KarlKost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 08:41 AM   #4
jacobmuller

Experience has taught me my English differs from that of other English speakers such that I often need translation/illucidation. This appears to be one of those times.

I have Fate: Core and had to go look at it to see if I hit a better understanding.
AFAIK Fate: Core is Evil Hat Production's idea of a generic universal system. Akin to Chaosium's Basic Roleplaying.

Imho GURPS: Adaptations is a guide to running a book or movie or fictional setting as a GURPS based game/ campaign.
Quote from the introduction:
When you’re planning a campaign based on a work of fiction or drama, GURPS Adaptations is your “how to” guide.

TL;DR means Too Long; Didn't Read.
Do you mean, you didn't read the book?
I remember I found it different to my expectations but darned if I can remember what I expected last week let alone 5 years ago.
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 08:53 AM   #5
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobmuller View Post
TL;DR means Too Long; Didn't Read.
Do you mean, you didn't read the book?
That's usually used to mean "here is a summary of what I just said for those who think what I just wrote was too long and didn't read it."

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 10:20 AM   #6
jacobmuller

Lol
I'd use Summary or Short Version.
Anyhoo - I still don't understand the problem and it reads like they ain't read it. Must be my brain is fixating on one (tertiary) meaning of a key word that's being used alt (probably it's primary meaning)
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 10:45 AM   #7
whswhs

Quote:
I'm accustomed to saying "abstract," myself.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 11:50 AM   #8
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I'm accustomed to saying "abstract," myself.
Ignores the origin. In many forums, people posting wall-of-text messages would get tons of "too long, didn't read" replies instead of anything useful. So, the TLDR paragraph was born in response, in hope of curtailing those types of replies.
Old 07-02-2022, 02:12 PM   #9
Kage2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Well, it definitely is not that, because I've never looked at Fate Core.
I only have a short bit of time for the forums at the moment, so I just wanted to address this for the sake of clarity. I'm in no way suggesting that any resemblance whatsoever was deliberate or indicated any shenanigans at all.

Quote:
Lol
Anyhoo - I still don't understand the problem and it reads like they ain't read it.
You do you.

As a general rule, I err on the side of not suggesting that someone is arguing in bad faith until it's clear that they're doing that. Wheaton's Law and that.

Last edited by Kage2020; 07-02-2022 at 05:18 PM.
Kage2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 05:20 PM   #10
mburr0003

Quote:

I don't get that from Adaptions at all, it has to be the first book Mr Stoddard has written in which I agreed with basically everything in it! (Except the heavily implied need to 'write everything up', we're diametric opposites in that regard.)

It wasn't a useful book for me, I've been down all those roads and he had nothing new to say that I hadn't already figured out myself, but the book would have been very useful to me say 25-30 years ago.

Quote:
However this I do agree with. In fact I've filled it away with my other "HTBaGURPSGM" books.

Quote:
And doing what?
mburr0003 is offline   Reply With Quote