Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-04-2023, 08:46 AM   #1
weby

Default Reactionless drive ships orbital flight in 3rd ed physics?

In 3rd edition space there was a thing where low thrust ships with wings could fly to orbit on planets with atmosphere if they had a certain % of their mass as thrust.

It was something like 8% for thin, 5% normal and 3% heavy density atmosphere.

What is the math/physics on that or was it just arbitrary?

And if the thrust % is based on reality, would it not require some fancy aerodynamics to be able to not have the atmospheric drag slow you down at an altitude where you can fly with your wings?
Old 03-04-2023, 09:58 AM   #2
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Reactionless drive ships orbital flight in 3rd ed physics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by weby View Post
In 3rd edition space there was a thing where low thrust ships with wings could fly to orbit on planets with atmosphere if they had a certain % of their mass as thrust.

?
I never saw any mathemtical support for this idea. It first showed up in Space 1e I think but i don't know how the idea got there. It never made any sense to me.

I'm not sure anything with a thrust-to-weight ratio that low could even make a runway take off. The earliest jetliners (i.e. 707) had a thrust-to-weight of 0.15 to 1. A 747 at full throttle was more like 0.25 to 1. At 0.05 to 1 you'd need at least 3x as much runway and you might not be able to get to take-off speed due to rolling resistance or drag.

Further problems would come up with airframe shape and re-entry. You'd need a shape like the Space Shuttle for re-entry but that would give you poor performance at low speed in thick air. That's why the Shuttle's landing speed was so high. Getting up to that speed for take-off with a super low thrust-to weight ratio would take a long, long runway. Even longer than the special landing strip at KSC.

Now, if you had enough _contragravity_ lift you could get by with low thrust-to-weight but it'd still take a long, long time to reach orbital speed.
Old 03-04-2023, 11:25 AM   #3
weby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
I never saw any mathemtical support for this idea. It first showed up in Space 1e I think but i don't know how the idea got there. It never made any sense to me.
Me neither, thus the question to ask if there was something I had missed.

Quote:
I'm not sure anything with a thrust-to-weight ratio that low could even make a runway take off. The earliest jetliners (i.e. 707) had a thrust-to-weight of 0.15 to 1. A 747 at full throttle was more like 0.25 to 1. At 0.05 to 1 you'd need at least 3x as much runway and you might not be able to get to take-off speed due to rolling resistance or drag.

Further problems would come up with airframe shape and re-entry. You'd need a shape like the Space Shuttle for re-entry but that would give you poor performance at low speed in thick air. That's why the Shuttle's landing speed was so high. Getting up to that speed for take-off with a super low thrust-to weight ratio would take a long, long runway. Even longer than the special landing strip at KSC.
And the "maximum lift from air" that you need to take off and to raise hight enough to keep the air resistance low so you can go fast.. contradicts also "minimum drag" you need as well for the fast thing..

Quote:
Now, if you had enough _contragravity_ lift you could get by with low thrust-to-weight but it'd still take a long, long time to reach orbital speed.
Not really that long overall, few hours in those single digit % of G for earth sized planets.
Old 03-04-2023, 11:54 AM   #4
Anthony

Quote:

What is the math/physics on that or was it just arbitrary?
Sounds arbitrary. Flying to orbit requires at least (surface gravity) / (hypersonic L/D ratio), plus a hull that can actually survive doing that (hard to do without force fields or magic materials). Nothing about that is variable with atmospheric density.
Old 03-04-2023, 09:59 PM   #5
Pursuivant

Quote:
I checked GURPS 3E Space 3rd Edition & I didn't see anything like what you're describing.

You might be thinking of ships built using modular ship design rules having to use a certain percentage of fuel/reaction mass to get into orbit. Streamlined/winged designs which generate lift would reduce the amount of fuel required, but not by a fixed percentage.

You might be thinking of some of the Transhuman Space books, where there were different formulas for fuel consumption, time, etc. required for operations in different atmospheres or Low, High, or Geosynchronous orbits.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 10:15 PM   #6
weby

Default Re: Reactionless drive ships orbital flight in gurps 3rd ed physics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
I checked GURPS 3E Space 3rd Edition & I didn't see anything like what you're describing.

You might be thinking of ships built using modular ship design rules having to use a certain percentage of fuel/reaction mass to get into orbit. Streamlined/winged designs which generate lift would reduce the amount of fuel required, but not by a fixed percentage.

You might be thinking of some of the Transhuman Space books, where there were different formulas for fuel consumption, time, etc. required for operations in different atmospheres or Low, High, or Geosynchronous orbits.
It is from Gurps space 2nd edition and many of the books based on that. The subject line might be misleading so changed in this one. Gurps space 3rd is very late 3rd efition books so most of gurps 3rd edition books with spaceshps used the older space.

I remembered the % values wrong it is 1% of actual mass in Dense
atmosphere, 2% in Standard atmosphere, and 5% in Thin atmosphere if winged. (sidebar on p 83 of Gurps space second edition)
Old 03-04-2023, 10:54 PM   #7
David Johnston2

Quote:

?
Don't think so. Lifting bodies can fly into space provided only that they have enough reactionless thrust to exceed the planetary gravity.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 06:25 PM   #8
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Don't think so. Lifting bodies can fly into space provided only that they have enough reactionless thrust to exceed the planetary gravity.
That's a crazy high requirement.
Old 03-05-2023, 06:32 PM   #9
doctorevilbrain

Why reactionless?
doctorevilbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 06:52 PM   #10
dcarson

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorevilbrain View Post
Why reactionless?
Because it needs to fly for a lot longer than any fuel could last.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aircraft, reactionless drive, spaceships