Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-21-2013, 11:58 AM   #11
Bengt

Default Re: Wolverine

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfish View Post
5' 3", 300lb? I don't recall him being that short, I would have guessed at least in the 5' 9" area, and even with the adamantium I am not sure he would be so heavy.

Why all the martial arts skills, like Sword! and Pressure Secrets? I don't remember him so much as a ninja as a brawler.
Official Handbook says 5' 3" and 195 lbs and him being short is commented on occasionally, he is usually drawn taller though.

He is totally a ninja now. Not sure how much he was one in 1980 around Dark Phoenix since his back story has been vastly expanded.
Bengt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:45 PM   #12
Christopher R. Rice

I'd write his claws up as Strikers - he parries weapons all the time with them. Currently, you can't do that.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:35 PM   #13
Tuk the Weekah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengt View Post
Official Handbook says 5' 3" and 195 lbs and him being short is commented on occasionally, he is usually drawn taller though.

He is totally a ninja now. Not sure how much he was one in 1980 around Dark Phoenix since his back story has been vastly expanded.
The expanded backstory (including the ninja warrior bits) began with the first Wolverine miniseries (1982). Like most comic book heroes, you will need to make editorial decisions as to which backgrounds, etc. you agree with, as most of Wolverine's back-story is incompatible with itself. Don't be afraid to ignore the parts of his backstory that don't agree with what you want to do with him; that's what the writers do with him (and all other comic book characters) anyways. That's how his bio ended up being the mishmash it is.

Personally, I like my theory that he's really Gilgamesh, who was actually granted immortality by Utnapishtim. Through time, his brain regenerates damage as well as his body; in the process, bits of his memory are lost, and he retrofits what pieces of memory he has left into what he currently knows about himself. As a result, his "past" is always changing, receding or tracking forward, depending on what he knows at the moment. He has been, at various times, Ahasver, Lancelot, Roland, etc. Basically, he's Moorcock's Eternal Champion, in Marvel drag.

But that idea is seriously not canon. Hell, you can't hear the cannon from where that idea sits.

Last edited by Tuk the Weekah; 05-21-2013 at 02:46 PM.
Tuk the Weekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:41 PM   #14
vitruvian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuk the Weekah View Post
The expanded backstory (including the ninja warrior bits) began with the first Wolverine miniseries (1982). Like most comic book heroes, you will need to make editorial decisions as to which backgrounds, etc. you agree with, as most of Wolverine's back-story is incompatible with itself. Don't be afraid to ignore the parts of his backstory that don't agree with what you want to do with him; that's what the writers do with him (and all other comic book characters) anyways. That's how his bio ended up being the mishmash it is.

Personally, I like my theory that he's really Gilgamesh, who was actually granted immortality by Utnapishtim. Through time, his brain regenerates damage as well as his body; in the process, bits of his memory are lost, and he retrofits what pieces of memory he has left into what he currently knows about himself. As a result, his "past" is always changing, receding or tracking forward, depending on what he knows at the moment. He has been, at various times, Ahasver, Lancelot, Roland, etc. Basically, he's Moorcock's Eternal Champion, in Marvel drag.

But that idea is seriously not cannon. Hell, you can't hear the cannon from where that idea sits.
That would fit well with the movieverse version being the same guy as the swashbuckling 'Van Helsing' of the late 19th/early 20th century also played by Jackman, and possibly even the conquistador from the Fountain.

Although looking at how hairy Logan was originally drawn to be, he might be Enkidu, brought back with the water of life by Gilgamesh, rather than Gilgamesh himself.

By the way, your first canon has too many n's.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:47 PM   #15
Tuk the Weekah

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post

By the way, your first canon has too many n's.
No it doesn't. [Whistling innocently--mad rush to edit post] See?
Tuk the Weekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:01 PM   #16
Snaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
I'd write his claws up as Strikers - he parries weapons all the time with them. Currently, you can't do that.
Yeah, that's why I think it's better to take his claws as Innate Attacks. They do far more damage than his strength alone with a Striker or Claws could do.

I think the biggest problem with this Wolverine build (and most Wolverine builds I've seen) is that he's far too squishy.

Logan's bones do a lot more than just being Unbreakable. They protect him. Any mook with a gun could put down the above version of Wolverine. One bullet to the head and he's going to need that Unkillable to kick in.

But it's more than just his skull, Sabertooth can swing a tree like a bat, knocking Wolverine into a brick wall and Logan will get right up and keep fighting. He can take a punch from the Juggernaut, get hit by a car, etc.

This version couldn't survive any of those things. One punch from someone like Spiderman would lay him out.
Snaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:09 PM   #17
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaps View Post
But it's more than just his skull, Sabertooth can swing a tree like a bat, knocking Wolverine into a brick wall and Logan will get right up and keep fighting. He can take a punch from the Juggernaut, get hit by a car, etc.
The same thing is true of nearly everybody in the Marvel Universe. The Hulk almost never explodes people's heads, even ordinary Hulkbuster troops, when he slugs them.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:17 PM   #18
LokRobster

I wrote up a Wolverine in 3e GURPS in the late 90s, the Logan from Age of Apocalypse -

That one is fun since he's much more defined, and only has one hand - a relic from his goofing around with Scott... who of course only has one eye. [haha Cyclops with ONE EYE!]

Anyway, most people would think that Wolverine should grow his hand back, but I guess since Cyclops blasted it off it got to stay gone.

That was a cool Logan to stat up, though.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:40 PM   #19
Snaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
The same thing is true of nearly everybody in the Marvel Universe. The Hulk almost never explodes people's heads, even ordinary Hulkbuster troops, when he slugs them.
True, but do they keep fighting?

In order for Wolverine to take any of the beatings he takes in the comics, he needs DR, Damage Reduction, or lots of hit points.

I personally like how Damage Reduction turned out in the Marvel Movies game I ran, it let Logan take some serious beatings and keep coming.
Snaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:03 PM   #20
Bruno

Wolverine survives being hit by the Juggernaught for most of the same reasons Batman can fight Superman and Superman villains.

IE, he's the main character.

That's covered in GURPS by having him invest in a huge pile of narrative control abilities: Impulse Buys is the GoTo place for that.

He naturally has backstop coverage with his Mutant Healing Factor (tm) but many times it's down to "I spend a point on Flesh Wounds! AHA!" That one time he regenerated his way back From A Single Cell he probably bought Extra Life with the spare points lying around.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
supers, x-men