Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-22-2024, 04:06 PM   #1
King Leonidas

Default how to add judo parry? and other judo stuff

how to add judo parry to GCS? and how does combination technique of a judo parry and arm lock and throw work?
Also if i fail my parry i get hurt?
King Leonidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 08:31 PM   #2
Varyon

Default Re: how to add judo parry? and other judo stuff

I can't help with GCS, but for a Parry->Lock->Throw From Lock, you can't do that as a Rapid Strike or Combination, at least not if you want to get that sweet sweet swing damage for throwing from a lock, because Martial Arts specifies that a throw from a lock must be done on a turn after the lock is applied. If instead you mean just throwing the target and locking their arm after a single Parry against them (to the question of "Arm Lock or Judo Throw?" you've opted to answer "Both; both is good"), that's up to the GM, but I'd allow it as a Rapid Strike (which would thus be eligible for a Combination). Just to reiterate, however, this would explicitly be just an arm lock and a normal throw, but prone and with a locked arm is a difficult-to-escape position for your foe, so this would certainly have some utility.

As for failing a Parry meaning you get hurt... yeah, that's typically the result of a failed Active Defense - the attack hits you. If the foe is armed, they can opt to switch their target to your Arm if you attempted and failed a Judo Parry.
Old Yesterday, 07:46 AM   #3
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Leonidas View Post
how to add judo parry to GCS?
I expected the skill to modify the "Natural Attacks" lines (as does Karate, for example), but apparently not, at least in v5.20.4.

You can add a line by editing the skill, which is actually pretty easy to do with the built-in editor. Double-click "Judo". Right-mouse in the blank line under "Melee Weapon Usage", and choose "Add Melee Weapon". In the box for "Usage", name the entry as you want it to appear on the character sheet, e.g. "Judo Parry". Check the box next to "Parry" a few lines down to tell it that your "Judo Parry" weapon is allowed to Parry. In the Damage section, set whatever's appropriate; it defaults to thr cr, which I think is correct. (See the entry for Karate for fancy stuff like skill-based damage bonuses.) And down in the bottom section, Defaults, set the "weapon" to default to Skill, Judo. Hit the little check marks on the tops of the windows to save your work and close those dialogs, and you should get a new line in the Melee Weapons section for "Judo", Usage "Judo Parry", with the appropriate stats.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:21 AM   #4
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
In the Damage section, set whatever's appropriate; it defaults to thr cr, which I think is correct. (See the entry for Karate for fancy stuff like skill-based damage bonuses.)
Judo Throw's default "damage" is that the target must roll against HT or be Stunned; on a weapon table, this would be listed as "HT(∞) aff", I believe (I don't think DR gives a bonus to avoid the stunning effect, hence the infinite armor divisor). A damaging Judo Throw is an option, but is at -1 to skill (plus any applicable penalty for hit location - trying to Judo Throw someone onto their Skull would be at -8), deals thr-1 cr, and doesn't get any damage bonus from skill. But if you're just putting in an entry for Judo Parry, I'd put the damage as "-", "N/A", or "spec", depending on what's available - Judo Parry sets you up to do an Arm Lock or a Judo Throw (or, optionally, both).
Old Yesterday, 09:02 AM   #5
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Judo Throw's default "damage" is that the target must roll against HT or be Stunned.
I couldn't remember if Judo allowed striking at all. Damage type of "None" is one of the options in GCS.

(Any given "weapon" can have several lines, which is the point of the "usage" field; frex, the default "Natural Weapons" have three uses, "punch", "kick", and "bite". But a single line can show both a damage and a parry number -- for, say, a sword. The "usage" in that case would be swing or thrust, if available.)

I don't think it has an intended way to list other effects, like stunning, in the weapons line. It's a character sheet tool, not a VTT or combat tracker. (Though the GURPS Game Aid people were working on integrated GCS into GGA, last I heard.) So it's not really meant to track and enforce state, like "first lock, next turn throw". But the damage type line is freeform, so instead of "cr", "imp", etc, King Leonidas could just put in damage None, type "stun", with a Note like "must obtain lock on previous turn", which would at least be a reminder.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:22 AM   #6
King Leonidas

Quote:
I can't help with GCS, but for a Parry->Lock->Throw From Lock, you can't do that as a Rapid Strike or Combination, at least not if you want to get that sweet sweet swing damage for throwing from a lock, because Martial Arts specifies that a throw from a lock must be done on a turn after the lock is applied. If instead you mean just throwing the target and locking their arm after a single Parry against them (to the question of "Arm Lock or Judo Throw?" you've opted to answer "Both; both is good"), that's up to the GM, but I'd allow it as a Rapid Strike (which would thus be eligible for a Combination). Just to reiterate, however, this would explicitly be just an arm lock and a normal throw, but prone and with a locked arm is a difficult-to-escape position for your foe, so this would certainly have some utility.

As for failing a Parry meaning you get hurt... yeah, that's typically the result of a failed Active Defense - the attack hits you. If the foe is armed, they can opt to switch their target to your Arm if you attempted and failed a Judo Parry.
i mean. if the enemy parries my parry attack throw
Old Yesterday, 09:26 AM   #7
Witchking

Quote:
I couldn't remember if Judo allowed striking at all.
Judo allows striking, just not by the practitioner. The floor can strike, that wall over there can strike, the table, the chair, the guy struck by the floor 2 rounds ago. With Judo many things can strike just not you.
Old Yesterday, 09:37 AM   #8
Varyon

Quote:
I don't think it has an intended way to list other effects, like stunning, in the weapons line.
Weapon table entries for things like stun guns, electric batons, etc typically just list it as something like "HT-4(0.5) aff", meaning it's an Affliction that calls for an HT-4 roll to resist, but DR is doubled (DR gives a +1 per DR to resist Afflictions); the weapon table generally doesn't give any information on what the Affliction is, relying on either Notes or simply checking the weapon description. I was working under the assumption GCS would list things in the same fashion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Leonidas View Post
i mean. if the enemy parries my parry attack throw
Yeah, your attempt to throw them functions just like an unarmed attack, so if they successfully Parry with a weapon they can harm you. This is arguably a bit harsh, but then again Judo already gets a bit of a free pass by not suffering the -3 to Parry swung weapons that one normally has to deal with when unarmed. I don't know if it ever made it into print, but I do know some GM's houserule that a character with Trained By A Master has their unarmed strikes function as though they were armed in situations like this, so such characters don't risk being injured by an attempted Parry.

Note that, against foes who can hurt you on a Parry, it's often a good idea to use Deceptive Attack to drop your skill all the way down to 10 - you're less likely to hit than with the "optimal" 13-14, but if you do hit the foe is less likely to harm you with a Parry (and they don't get to even try when you miss outright).
Old Yesterday, 09:59 AM   #9
King Leonidas

Quote:
Weapon table entries for things like stun guns, electric batons, etc typically just list it as something like "HT-4(0.5) aff", meaning it's an Affliction that calls for an HT-4 roll to resist, but DR is doubled (DR gives a +1 per DR to resist Afflictions); the weapon table generally doesn't give any information on what the Affliction is, relying on either Notes or simply checking the weapon description. I was working under the assumption GCS would list things in the same fashion.

Yeah, your attempt to throw them functions just like an unarmed attack, so if they successfully Parry with a weapon they can harm you. This is arguably a bit harsh, but then again Judo already gets a bit of a free pass by not suffering the -3 to Parry swung weapons that one normally has to deal with when unarmed. I don't know if it ever made it into print, but I do know some GM's houserule that a character with Trained By A Master has their unarmed strikes function as though they were armed in situations like this, so such characters don't risk being injured by an attempted Parry.

Note that, against foes who can hurt you on a Parry, it's often a good idea to use Deceptive Attack to drop your skill all the way down to 10 - you're less likely to hit than with the "optimal" 13-14, but if you do hit the foe is less likely to harm you with a Parry (and they don't get to even try when you miss outright).
Okay i'm planning to use it as a backup if someone closes in with me and i drop my flail. i have a heavy shield do so it would already be SL 3 minus. to attack. but i get your point
Old Yesterday, 10:31 AM   #10
Fred Brackin

Quote:
This is arguably a bit harsh, but then again Judo already gets a bit of a free pass by not suffering the -3 to Parry swung weapons that one normally has to deal with when unarmed. I don't know if it ever made it into print, but I do know some GM's houserule that a character with Trained By A Master has their unarmed strikes function as though they were armed in situations like this, so such characters don't risk being injured by an attempted Parry.
).
Full(i.e non Art/Sport) Judo is assummed to have defense v. armed attacks built-in unlike Boxing, Wrestling or Brawling. Realistically you might find it hard to locate such training. Real World "Judo" is almost certainly Art/Sport.

What TBAM does is exempt you from Harsh Realism in all cases. If you don't want PCs to ever be exempt from Harsh Realism don't let them buy TBAM.