Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-23-2023, 12:00 AM   #1
lugaid

Default [MAGIC] Extending Range for Missile Spells

It seems like such an obvious idea that I am surprised to find there are no Meta spells to extend the Range or maybe improve the Accuracy of a Missile spell. In settings like Technomancer, it would seem especially useful, in order to address some of the main remaining differences between Missile spells and firearms, now that you can just pack most Missile spells full of energy. I'm sure that there are other characteristics of combat spells that could do with some Meta spell to adjust them to the circumstances, as well. Has this already been done somewhere and I just don't know about it?
lugaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 08:20 AM   #2
Fred Brackin

Default Re: [MAGIC] Extending Range for Missile Spells

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugaid View Post
I Has this already been done somewhere and I just don't know about it?
In 3e (and I think it was the original Technomancer book) there was a spell to give a Missile Spell both the Guided ability and increased range.
Old 01-23-2023, 03:44 PM   #3
Pursuivant

It's not just extending range, it's also doing things like giving spells enhancements like "Overhead Attack" or "Affects Insubstantial."

I've got a bunch of house-rules "Auxiliary Spells" ripped off from a long-ago idea by GEF, but greatly expanded. They work in the same way that Meta-Spells like Delay or Link work, but do different things, like add power enhancements or rip off certain AD&D feats liked Quickened Spell.

The idea is that you cast the base spell first, cast the Auxiliary spell which "modifies" it immediately afterwards, combine the energy costs for the two spells and make both skill rolls to cast the combined spell simultaneously when you finish casting the Auxiliary spell.

I haven't used them recently. In retrospect, they'd work better as Magical Perks (like Cantrips) or Techniques.

Pertinent example here:

Increase Range Auxiliary
Spoiler:  
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 06:15 PM   #4
edk926

Power-Ups 1 has an Imbuement to increase range and a couple of Imbuements that negate range penalties.
edk926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 11:33 AM   #5
Varyon

I believe either Magic or Thaumatology has guidelines for adding Enhancements to spells, for something like -1 to skill per +10% (or fraction thereof) of Enhancements, and maybe a boost to FP cost. Missile Spells, which have a defined 1/2D and Max Range, seem like obvious subjects for an Increased Range Enhancement. So, -1 for x2 to Range, -2 for x5, -3 for x10, -4 for x20, etc; you could probably buy off the penalty with a Technique, but I don't think there's really a way to get rid of any additional FP cost that's in play.
EDIT: I just noticed you suggesting a way to improve Acc as well. Accurate is +5% per +1 Acc, so that's -1 for +2 Acc, -2 for +4 Acc, etc.
Old 01-25-2023, 02:50 PM   #6
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

The "MyGurps" site has an article on generally modifying spells, but it specifically talks about making spells longer range. Its house rules on a blog, of course, but its the house rules of the former assistant line editor.

I hope that helps.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 11:46 PM   #7
Pursuivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by edk926 View Post
Power-Ups 1 has an Imbuement to increase range and a couple of Imbuements that negate range penalties.
Imbuements are another way to do it, although they're more focused on modifying weapons than spells.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 08:38 PM   #8
nudj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
I believe either Magic or Thaumatology has guidelines for adding Enhancements to spells, for something like -1 to skill per +10% (or fraction thereof) of Enhancements, and maybe a boost to FP cost. Missile Spells, which have a defined 1/2D and Max Range, seem like obvious subjects for an Increased Range Enhancement. So, -1 for x2 to Range, -2 for x5, -3 for x10, -4 for x20, etc; you could probably buy off the penalty with a Technique, but I don't think there's really a way to get rid of any additional FP cost that's in play.
EDIT: I just noticed you suggesting a way to improve Acc as well. Accurate is +5% per +1 Acc, so that's -1 for +2 Acc, -2 for +4 Acc, etc.
It’s -1 to skill and +1 FP for each +5% (page 39 of Thaumatology). There are also suggestions for changing Range by fiat.
nudj is offline   Reply With Quote