Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 12-09-2022, 11:52 PM   #61
tbone

Default Re: Thieves

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
But makes you look increasingly like a Swashbuckler.
Yeah, that's a point. Though it doesn't bother me, for several reasons:
  • As you aptly point out, many professions steal from what were originally thief specialties in early RPGs. Is it at all inappropriate that the thief also do some stealing in return? : )
  • Thieves and swashbucklers are of an ilk to begin with (both DX-heavy light fighters, and both equally "rogues" in some games). Similarities & overlap are inevitable.
  • Even if the thief does "steal" some swashbuckler spotlight... if there's no swashbuckler in the party, no theft occurred.
  • If there is a swashbuckler but the player doesn't object to seeing another light fighter get beefed up a bit... again, no problem.
  • Even if there's a swashbuckler player who wants the expert light fighter spotlight to himself, all I'm talking about is thieves boosting their main weapon skill by 1 or 2 levels. IMO, a thief boosting his weapon skill to a lofty 4 points won't challenge the swashbuckler's 20-point weapon skill spend + Weapon Master + Combat Reflexes + Enhanced Parry + another 60 points in fighting-centric advantages.

In short, I see no problem with a thief boosting combat prowess a bit. Thieves' abilities are spread widely, with other professions nibbling at them from over direction, as you rightly point out. I think a thief should pick some narrow area or two to beef up, rather than staying spread all over.

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 03:25 PM   #62
sjmdw45

Here's an annoying thing about thieves that I noticed while running doomchildren simultations:

A successful backstab means that "[w]hen setting up the battle map, the delver starts one step away from and behind this target." However, thieves have only average speed, 6.00 by default, so it's very possible for a successful backstab not only to result in you not getting the backstab bonus (+4 to hit, no defense possible) because the target has already moved--it's quite possible for a successful backstab to result in you getting stabbed by multiple targets both ahead of and behind you before you even get a chance to do anything!

Backstabbing is only good against things that are surprised or slower than you, which isn't necessarily unrealistic, but does mean that Swashbucklers are better at backstabbing than Thieves are.
sjmdw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 02:21 AM   #63
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

They have to detect you to attack you. IME, at least with the ninja, that rarely happens with most monsters.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 03:02 AM   #64
sjmdw45

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
They have to detect you to attack you. IME, at least with the ninja, that rarely happens with most monsters.
You're right there in front of them, and unlike e.g. D&D 5E I see no indication in DFRPG's rules that Stealth makes you undetectable in combat, especially when out in the open. Stealth helps you gain surprise, as long as you qualify under Exploits pg 26 "Surprise Attacks" (not in a field or empty room with no hiding spots), but that's all pre-combat stuff.

A better version of Backstabbing rules would maybe be to let you pick your position anywhere on the field while also letting you do runaround attacks as a true "rear" attack on the first turn, instead of a side attack.

Last edited by sjmdw45; 12-14-2022 at 03:15 AM.
Old 12-14-2022, 03:19 AM   #65
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

I typically put backstabbing characters in hidden places since they got there by stealth. Also this was the ninja, so Invisibility Art was in play.
Old 12-14-2022, 07:11 AM   #66
Kalzazz

This thread may be helpful on Backstab

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread...light=Backstab

Kromm clarifies how revealing works, so when you attack
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 07:27 AM   #67
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

I'll note the phrase "effectively invisible behind the enemy" from Kromm's first post in that thread.
Old 12-14-2022, 07:55 AM   #68
sjmdw45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
This thread may be helpful on Backstab

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread...light=Backstab

Kromm clarifies how revealing works, so when you attack
But later on in the same thread, Kromm concedes that backstab is primarily useful only in ambushes: 'Normally, you backstab in ambush, where the enemy is surprised and must spend one turn on Do Nothing. That makes the sequence: "I backstab, they Do Nothing, I use Move to run back over by my pals."'

And that assumes the thief has higher speed than the enemy, otherwise it's "the enemy Does Nothing, I backstab, the enemy and all his buddies turn around and destroy me."

Honestly the biggest surprise from that thread is Kromm's implication that you can use Stealth to stay hidden in combat EVEN WITHOUT A HIDING PLACE until you do something aggressive, as if Stealth were the Invisibility spell. I am honestly a bit skeptical that that's really intended because DFRPG/GURPS trends toward realism wherever possible, but if so then I suggest that MOST delvers should stay hidden most of the time. Buff the Swashbuckler to the gills with Haste, Shield, Armor, etc. and let him be the only one the monsters can see.

I think Kromm's suggestion later in the thread that Backstab be reserved for ambushes against slower creatures makes more sense, as do the suggestions from other posters that you get to choose your location (e.g. start behind the evil Necromancer instead of just his closest minion).

Ultimately I think backstabbing is a nice attempt at a time-saving procedure for skipping right to the exciting part of an encounter, and its general idea is right, but the rules need to be tweaked. (And even then, Scouts, Martial Artists, and Swashbucklers all wind up being better than Thieves at exploiting backstabbing in most scenarios.)

Last edited by sjmdw45; 12-14-2022 at 08:00 AM.
Old 12-14-2022, 10:09 AM   #69
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

It's trivial to assume a hiding place. I do.
Old 12-14-2022, 10:43 AM   #70
sjmdw45

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
It's trivial to assume a hiding place. I do.
It's nontrivial because Backstabbing requires you to be hiding in a specific hex, directly behind the nearest enemy. I'm finding that that's often just empty corridor space, sometimes right in front of another enemy.

"When setting up the battle map, the delver starts one step away from and behind this target."

So one of the rules tweaks Backstabbing needs is to give you more choice of where to place the backstabber when combat begins.

Tags
thief, thieves