Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 12-30-2022, 03:34 PM   #1
dweber

Default Munchkin Batman Questions

We've played a number of Munchkin games and combinations, and we really like Batman, so this game was a must-buy and we're having fun with it.

I don't see many FAQs about it and we've got a number of rule questions.

1. Can we choose to not save accomplices? If my hand is overflowing I might prefer them thrown out instead of becoming charity.

2. The curse of "lose your headgear" doesn't specify "the headgear you're wearing" or "a headgear" like the curses in Munchkin Prime does. Can I choose which headgear, even one from my hand?

3. The Nemesis card gives you an extra level if *Batman* is in play. We're pretty sure it's only for the specific "Batman" or "Batman & Robin" cards, but a new and younger player suggested it could be any card showing Batman. I said he's wrong but told him I would officially ask since it showed some nice Munckhin-ness to suggest that.

4. Prankster lets you put the curse in your hand after you are affected by it. If I skip it with Alibi, do I still put it in my hand?

5. Prankster again. Normally with curses we put the curse card in the player's field and discard it when it finally stops. But they can't both do that and put it in their hand. Specific example: A player got a curse of "-3 to next combat". We put an index card saying "-3" in a player's field and put the card into their hand. Is this the intended way to proceed?

6. If I get a curse can I put down Prankster from my hand, since it is "at any time"? I vaguely remember a FAQ saying you cannot cheat your way out of a curse while the curse is resolving but cannot find it now, and the rules with the set seem to make it a point that you can play a Motive *at any time*.

7. I have Prankster and get the Curse of "Lose Your Motivation." Do they both resolve at the same time so the curse goes into my hand and I lose Prankster?

8. "It's a Trap!" doubles Police penalties but gives an extra level. Do we need to have at least one Police card in play (that hasn't been cancelled by that "distract the police" card) in order to get an extra level? And in either case, can that level be the winning level since it was in combat?

9. Harley Quinn gets a level when she helps another player commit "a crime." She was helping another player in a Crime Spree with 2 crimes and 3 levels as reward to the main player. We think it is "1 level per crime" and so Harley got 2 levels for helping. Is this right?

10. "Complex Motivations" looks a lot like Super Munchkin, but it's missing text for being played on exactly one Motive. Can it be played on a single Motive? (We assume that the "disadvantages for this Motive go away if you only have a single Motive" doesn't exist on purpose, but for hand management players want to get it out while still having a single Motive.)

11. Mr Freeze gets first crack at charity. We're pretty sure that the (tied for) lowest-level player doesn't do charity, though, they just discard directly to the discards. Is this right?

12. "Lose an accomplice or else lose a level." If this is played during a combat where the victim has already used accomplices, can/must an accomplice be removed from battle?

Last edited by dweber; 12-31-2022 at 03:23 PM. Reason: 2 more questions
dweber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 12:50 PM   #2
Devin Lewis
Munchkin Associate Dev

Default Re: Munchkin Batman Questions

Well alright. That's a lot of questions. Most of the answers boil down to 'good try, but no'.

1. No. You must roll. Generally speaking, if the rules aren't exactly clear, but what you're wanting to do lets you avoid giving charity, it's probably not allowed.

2. When ruled on in the past, the language 'Lose your Headgear' means all Headgear you have in play, equipped or carried. Headgear in your hand *could* be discarded to satisfy something like 'lose a small Item' that doesn't specify where it's from, but not in this case.

3. Correct, the Batman or Batman & Robin cards must be in play.

4. I'd say that would be fine.

5. Generally, lingering curses say to keep them in front of you as a reminder, and then they get discarded once they're no longer in effect, so you should leave them in the player's tableau until they're done, then the player can take the card into their hand.

6. No. There is no stack in Munchkin so the curse has already hit you before you change motivations, thus the ability isn't in effect for you to keep the curse.

7. No. You lose Prankster, then the curse is discarded.

8. I may have to errata this one. As it is now, no, a Police card doesn't have to have been played, and yes, it can be the winning Level as this is adding to a combat. So you could play it yourself and if no one plays a Police card, you'd still get an extra level, which could win you the game.

9. This is precisely in line with how the Elf works, so I'm going to say yes. 2 Levels for Harley.

10. Nope. Complex Motivations is quite different from Super Munchkin, so what's on the card is all that can be done.

11. Correct.

12. An already played Accomplice cannot be removed from the fight unless a card specifically says it can. It would have to be from their hand or they lose a level.