Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 09-03-2008, 11:14 AM   #11
Cheese8242

Default Re: ships booty question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowere
Let me ask this (for clarification purposes):

• Can this card (ship enhancer) be placed on the table sideways, as an unused item?
  • Can this card (ship enhancer) be sold for levels, or traded?

Cheers!!
I would say that since the earlier ruling was the ship enhancer had to be played on a ship the answer to both of those would be no. Now I'm sure those questions will be cleared up after Munchkinman gets an official clarifaction on the cheat part. But from the answer for the cheat part, I wouldn't allow it anymore (yes, I had let people do both so far, but I won't any more).
Cheese8242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 11:47 AM   #12
MunchkinMan

Whether it was the intent or not, the preference is that using Cheat with Steed/Ship Enhancers that have GP values is a silly practice, in the positive sense. In other words, it's allowed because it's silly in a way that's not going to break things, cause people to end friendships, allow for world peace to get in the way of anything, etc.

Since I never said that Ship Enhancers and Steed enhancers weren't Items, I'm not sure where it could be inferred that you couldn't sell them, and I guess I can't see a reason why they can't be placed on the table as a carried Item. The only reason I would say no is that under normal circumstances, there's the weak implication that they should be placed behind a Steed/Ship card when played, but like I said, that might be a weak implication.

As for trading, well, that depends on if the Enhancer can be put into play, and whether it's already attached to a Steed/Ship or not. If it's attached, then there's no way the answer can be yes, at least for the Enhancer itself. Steeds and Ships can still be traded, I believe, under Item rules (you might want to double check that, though), and any Enhancer would go with it.

So, here's what is going to be considered official:
  • Steed/Ship/Hireling Enhancers with a GP value are special Items, but they are still Items.
  • Given the above, they can be played to the table and carried, even if you don't have a legal way to use them (unless the rules or cards say otherwise).
  • Given the above, they can be used with with the Cheat! card.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 11:54 AM   #13
Cheese8242

ok, I guess I can go back to the way I was originally playing them.
Cheese8242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 01:05 PM   #14
Proto Persona

"I must be tha greatest pirate of all to sail so well on such a crappy ship."

"What ship? All you have is a poop deck."

"Aye, I said it was crappy, did I not?"

"How in the world does it even float?"

"That be an interesting question. Mind if I show ye over a game of cards?"
Proto Persona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 04:40 AM   #15
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan
  • Steed/Ship/Hireling Enhancers with a GP value are special Items, but they are still Items.
  • Given the above, they can be played to the table and carried, even if you don't have a legal way to use them (unless the rules or cards say otherwise).
  • Given the above, they can be used with with the Cheat! card, as long as they are enhancing something. I.e., you can have a Steed with a Poop Deck, which is still pretty funny.
There has been an addendum to the last item, shown in italics. SJ forgot to say this the first time and noticed it in a mail sweep.
MiB #1029
Old 09-10-2012, 12:58 PM   #16
Vincentheartthrob

I just got Munchkin Booty yesterday and stumbled upon this thread trying to find an answer to a question, which I found the answer to, but this last post brought up another question.

The FAQ says:
"Q. Do I have to play Ship Enhancers on a ship? They are items and have Gold Piece values, so shouldn't I be able to treat them like other items?
A. You can sell them for levels or use Cheat! to play them on their own, but otherwise, they must be played on a ship.

But MunchkinMan's post contradicts this. I'm assuming the FAQ is more up to date since this post is from 2008 but I wanted to make sure.
Vincentheartthrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:59 PM   #17
MunchkinMan

The FAQ is correct. We revised that ruling a while ago, hence the FAQ entry.
MiB #1029
Old 10-22-2012, 03:58 PM   #18
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
  • Given the above, they can be used with with the Cheat! card, as long as they are enhancing something. I.e., you can have a Steed with a Poop Deck, which is still pretty funny.
I'm going to overrule part two of the above: Steed/Item Enhancers with a GP value may NOT be carried, unused -- if you can't legally use them, you can't put them into play at all.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:16 PM   #19
bonetm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
I'm going to overrule part two of the above: Steed/Item Enhancers with a GP value may NOT be carried, unused -- if you can't legally use them, you can't put them into play at all.
The only problem with this rule, I think, is that Steed/Item Enhancers are not always marked as such. Unlike Ship Enhancers.

The problem being: it's not intuitive from the card to an unexperienced player to know that, specially since the rules don't have a special rule for them. It is a lot of bookeepping (oh, John just put down an Iten, but let's check if it's not an Enhancer. Yep, you can't put that down). But if that's how you wanna go, that's how I'll have to teach the game from now on.
MiB: #1602
bonetm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:42 PM   #20
Bampop

I know a lot of the fun of Munchkin is how it isn't always logical, but if I were to buy an enhancement for my ship (or steed,) I assume I'd have to carry it to the ship (or steed.) Therefore I could conceivably own a Ship (or Steed) Enhancer before owning a Ship (or Steed.) (In fact, I own several horseshoes and no horses.) That's how I've always played it. Regardless, I'll make sure to teach the game in the correct manner from now on.

Also, the third part of MM's ruling has since been amended so the Cheat!ed Enhancer doesn't need to be attached to something else as long as the Enhancer is an Item itself.
MiB #3282, Palm Bay, FL
Munchkin, Zombie/Cthulhu Dice, Burn in Hell!, Revolution!, Castellan, Chez Geek, OGRE DE, Chupacabra, Nanuk
mib3282@gmail.com

Last edited by Bampop; 10-22-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Bampop is offline   Reply With Quote