Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 04-04-2021, 03:44 PM   #1
hcobb

Default HTH question - Daggers

Using your Dagger Mastery talent with the Staff of Mastery enchantment (as usual), what are the options in HTH?

Does your +3 DX for the Occult Blast stack with a HTH boost? (I'd say that the Occult Blast never gets a facing adjustment so it doesn't get +4 for HTH, but I've never seen an exact ruling on this.)

Can you make a shrewd blow with the physical attack in HTH for -4 +4 = even DX? (in the same turn as burning a point of mana for the Occult Blast of course)

Can you make an aimed shot attack in HTH and if so which adjustments apply, the dagger toss or the general aimed shot attacks?

And for maximum range (and destructive power), does the note at ITL 163 mean that a Dagger-staff can be enchanted as a missile rod? (So 20 Mana, 20 dice of Wizard’s Wrath rod, and a 20 point powerstone in the hilt say?) If so can you fire these missile spell charges in HTH?
Old 04-04-2021, 04:38 PM   #2
phiwum

Default Re: HTH question - Daggers

I wouldn't have dagger mastery apply in HTH. I also wouldn't have occult blast get any bonus to hit nor allow one to fire a rod, dagger or otherwise, in HTH.

Making everything dagger shaped so you can hold it in HTH is cheap. Screw anyone who's eager to abuse basic rules like that.

I would also not allow aimed shots.

HTH is simple and brutal. It ain't full of finesse.
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 04:48 PM   #3
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
This is the sound of all the grappling martial artists crying out in agony and being suddenly silenced. I feel that something terrible has happened.

😉
DouglasCole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 05:16 PM   #4
phiwum

No, no, fair point, I was omitting the UC guys in that comment. But really, in RAW, their advantages are limited in HTH are limited to increased punch damage, if I'm not mistaken. The other advantages are for bare-handed regular combat.

I wasn't speaking about real-world HTH, just TFT HTH.

And in TFT HTH, the way I read the rules, UC II fighters are as good as someone with a dagger in hand and the Knives skill. (The UC guy does ST damage + 2 for UC II + 1 because everyone gets +1 barehanded in HTH.) Above that their damage is better than a dagger. I don't see any other advantages.

Last edited by phiwum; 04-04-2021 at 05:22 PM.
Old 04-04-2021, 05:26 PM   #5
phiwum

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
I wouldn't have dagger mastery apply in HTH. I also wouldn't have occult blast get any bonus to hit nor allow one to fire a rod, dagger or otherwise, in HTH.

Making everything dagger shaped so you can hold it in HTH is cheap. Screw anyone who's eager to abuse basic rules like that.

I would also not allow aimed shots.

I might also say no occult blasts in HTH. If they're a spell, then there should be a penalty for casting in HTH (but ITL RAW suggests that no spell casting is possible -- see the list of options). If they're an attack, then they're disallowed because the only kinds of attacks allowed involve fists and knives (used as such). Free action or not, they have to be understood as one of the options.

(The staff is described as an occult weapon, so looks like an attack and not a spell to me, but I'm not firm on that.)
Old 06-13-2021, 07:41 AM   #6
JustAnotherJarhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Using your Dagger Mastery talent with the Staff of Mastery enchantment (as usual), what are the options in HTH?

Does your +3 DX for the Occult Blast stack with a HTH boost? (I'd say that the Occult Blast never gets a facing adjustment so it doesn't get +4 for HTH, but I've never seen an exact ruling on this.)

Can you make a shrewd blow with the physical attack in HTH for -4 +4 = even DX? (in the same turn as burning a point of mana for the Occult Blast of course)

Can you make an aimed shot attack in HTH and if so which adjustments apply, the dagger toss or the general aimed shot attacks?

And for maximum range (and destructive power), does the note at ITL 163 mean that a Dagger-staff can be enchanted as a missile rod? (So 20 Mana, 20 dice of Wizard’s Wrath rod, and a 20 point powerstone in the hilt say?) If so can you fire these missile spell charges in HTH?
No to all of the above.

Leave HTH alone.
JustAnotherJarhead is offline   Reply With Quote