Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-15-2016, 02:44 PM   #11
Refplace

Default Re: [Social Engineering] "I could bring down your Government with six words."

It was him creating a Meme. We saw in a later episode how the media had picked it up and everyone believed she was unable to handle the job of Prime Minister. So he instantly made the concept roll on inventing the meme.
Quick Gadgteer to reduce the time for invention, fair enough I think to say the Doctor has full Quick Gadgeteering as an advantage.
So -7 for no Software.
From the Table in TS: Toxic Memes (p. 128)
High Durability and Infectiousness, -8
Time taken, -10 (not in the table)
1 Vector +1
You could try the Quick and Simple method but the audience is too large.
So skill -24 with environmental mods and possibly a penalty for not spending any money on it. Free Press lets him spread it around that way so a penalty to get them to carry the message for you is reasonable, lets say -5 for a total of -29 skill.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 02:58 PM   #12
(E)

Default Re: [Social Engineering] "I could bring down your Government with six words."

The doctor is probably a candidate for enhanced time sense. So the time factor rather than -10 for time taken is probably +4.
(E) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 03:56 PM   #13
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by (E) View Post
The doctor is probably a candidate for enhanced time sense. So the time factor rather than -10 for time taken is probably +4.
I would Given Him Visualization, probably with Reduced Time.

However I would Wave the Peanitly to get the Free Press to carry the meme, are the Are predisposed to carrying that particular meme about female politicians.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 04:30 PM   #14
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Greetings, all!

I'm curious: what are the ways to replicate this feat in GURPS, especially as a grand feat of social engineering?
Spoiler:  

A short sentence said at the right moment to the right person ultimately results in a PM receiving a vote of no confidence after a while.

Now, I know it's tempting to just say that it's an Affliction with a Negated Advantage, but that doesn't seem to accurately reflect what is happening here. It seems like instead of a very narrow brute force ability, the scene was an illustration of a character deeply specialized in social tricks ("Talking. It's what I do!").

So what is it? Some sort of Propaganda success by a ridiculous margin? If yes, any way of estimating how much of a margin is required to replicate this or similar feats? Or perhaps this is something different?

Thanks in advance!
History skill in combination with "Unusual Origin: Time Traveler" can be really powerful thing.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 05:58 PM   #15
Gedrin

Tardis and a copy of the movie Groundhog Day.
Gedrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 06:10 PM   #16
jason taylor

"You have sat here too long for any good you are doing. Depart, I say, and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!"

Leo Amery to Parliament(copying Oliver Cromwell), before resignation of Nevelle Chamberlain.

Twenty-eight words if I count right. A little uneconomical.
Old 12-15-2016, 06:19 PM   #17
Flyndaran
Untagged

The new series Doctor has power of plot, the same supernatural ability that "fully human" Batman has. He uses future History skill to know exactly what mundane sentence would propagate to absurd, normally impossible, levels.
As well as knowing that her assistants were of the rumor mongering sabotaging sort. Loyal allies would just ignore such nonsense.
Of course she looks tired. That's what protecting the entire freaking human race against monsters on a near daily basis without supernatural powers or the ability to flit away when things need to be cleaned up does to a person.

That was one of the episodes that stopped me from being a fan of the series. He got angry that one of his pets got uppity trying to defend "his" species for times when he's not there.
Old 12-15-2016, 09:37 PM   #18
Daigoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
It was him creating a Meme. We saw in a later episode how the media had picked it up and everyone believed she was unable to handle the job of Prime Minister. So he instantly made the concept roll on inventing the meme.
Quick Gadgteer to reduce the time for invention, fair enough I think to say the Doctor has full Quick Gadgeteering as an advantage.
Are those the same mechanics as Social Gadgeteering from Infinite Worlds? That was going to be my suggestion.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 10:00 PM   #19
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
Are those the same mechanics as Social Gadgeteering from Infinite Worlds? That was going to be my suggestion.
Transhuman Space
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 10:10 PM   #20
Mithlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
At least part of it seemed to me to be Psychology, to set up a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy against someone who showed signs of paranoia. Her downfall was in part due to her wearing herself out in attempts to stave off whatever disaster the Doctor had set up.
That's the closest skill and application I can think of.

To be honest, I think the scene the OP posted looks like a Marty Stu (male version of Mary Sue). A situation that occurred because any other (often more plausible/realistic) play-out of the scenario wouldn't allow the plot to happen. I wouldn't run a game where such a thing were possible, because to actually topple a government takes a LOT more effort than one sentence even if you have the power to show up in a critical point against one crucial person. Granted, TV shows only have so much time and they might not show the hundreds of little manipulations that a regime shift requires.

Might somebody else's game have 30+ skills and such wild results? Sure, the fantastic has its place in some games. Especially if players go through work to set up the right scenarios.
Mithlas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
doctor who, government, propaganda, rank, six words, social engineering, the doctor